Inclined plane car out of gas problem

In summary, the conversation is discussing a car that runs out of gas while traveling up a slope at a speed of 25.0m/s. The question is how far up the hill will it coast before starting to roll back down. Different equations and methods are suggested, including using the work-energy theorem, drawing a force diagram, and using the formula V^2 = U^2 + 2as to solve for the acceleration and distance traveled. The final solution given is 85m.
angeljunti
A car traveling at 25.0m/s runs out of gas while traveling up a 22.0 degree slope.
How far up the hill will it coast before starting to roll back down?

i tried doing (2*25m/s)^2 / cos22*-9.8cos68 but that wasn't the right answer...

~help please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what equation are you using? have you drawn a force diagram?

Alternatively, one could consider the work-energy theorem

When i comes to inclined slope like these part of the g is "filtered" off. Thus Draw out your free body diagram, resolve the g in the direction parrallel to the slope.then use the formula V^2 = U^2 + 2as
Hope it helps.

EDITED version
sry ><

Last edited:
Delzac, please do not post complete solutions.

Edit: No problems Delzac

Last edited:
Hootenanny said:
Alternatively, one could consider the work-energy theorem
most defiantly, that's how i first looked at it. from the looks of it though they haven't started studying energy yet (at least that's what i think) and i was ify on possible jumping ahead.

well, now that the correct formula has been given, does the car accelerate? if so, how would you find the acceleration rate of the car?

Delzac said:
When i comes to inclined slope like these part of the g is "filtered" off. Thus Draw out your free body diagram, resolve the g in the direction parrallel to the slope.

then use the formula V^2 = U^2 + 2as

Hope it helps.

EDITED version
sry ><
how can you be sure that the acceleration or retardation here is constant?

castaway said:
how can you be sure that the acceleration or retardation here is constant?
Is the acceleration due to gravity (approximately) constant here?

I got 85m by solving for a then using v^2=v1^2+2ad

1. How does an inclined plane help a car that has run out of gas?

An inclined plane can help a car that has run out of gas by using its slope to allow the car to roll or slide down to a lower elevation, using the force of gravity to move the car forward without the need for gas.

2. What is the principle behind using an inclined plane for a car out of gas?

The principle behind using an inclined plane for a car out of gas is that it can convert potential energy (stored energy in the car's elevated position) into kinetic energy (energy of motion) to move the car forward.

3. How do you determine the ideal angle for an inclined plane to move a car out of gas?

The ideal angle for an inclined plane to move a car out of gas can be determined by calculating the angle at which the force of gravity acting on the car is equal to the force of friction acting against it. This will result in the car moving at a constant speed down the inclined plane.

4. Are there any other factors to consider when using an inclined plane to move a car out of gas?

Yes, there are other factors to consider when using an inclined plane to move a car out of gas. These include the weight of the car, the coefficient of friction between the car and the surface of the inclined plane, and any external forces (such as wind) that may affect the motion of the car.

5. Can an inclined plane be used for any type of car out of gas?

Yes, an inclined plane can be used for any type of car out of gas as long as the car has wheels and can be placed on the inclined plane. However, the effectiveness of using an inclined plane may vary depending on the weight and other factors mentioned above.