Underground nuclear explosion

In summary, the conversation discusses the yield for the new North Korea nuclear weapon and whether it is in the kiloton or megaton range. It is mentioned that the North Koreans claim to have "A-bombs" with yields similar to the first weapons developed by the United States, which were around 10-20 kilotonnes. The conversation also delves into the seismic activity and how it can be used to estimate the yield of a nuclear test, with varying calculations and opinions on the matter.
Orion1

I thought this would be an interesting video for physics majors to watch:

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/28850/Underground_Nuclear_Explosions.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
That demonstrates how fluid the ground really is. Some of those displacements are fairly substantial.

I am enquiring as to what the explosive yield is for the new North Korea nuclear weapon?

Last edited:
I believe the yield is likely in the kT range, particularly if it is only nuclear, i.e. fissile. I don't believe NK has developed a thermonuclear weapon - well hopefully not - but that would be the next step.

Orion1 said:

I am enquiring as to what the Megaton yield is for the new North Korea nuclear weapon?
Orion1,

I would also concur with Astronuc.

Thermonuclear weapons, also known as "hydrogen bombs" or "H-bombs" can have
yields that are in the Megatonnes.

That's NOT what the North Koreans have, or claim to have. They claim to have
"A-bombs"; the type of weapons the USA developed in World War II and dropped
on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

It takes a "A-bomb" to trigger an "H-bomb"; so you have to develop one before the
other.

As Astronuc points out, "A-bombs" have yields measured in "kilotonnes".

The bomb the USA dropped on Hiroshima was about 15 kilotonnes, and the
bomb that was dropped on Nagasaki, and its twin tested at Trinity; were about
20 kilotonnnes.

Any weapons developed by a nascent nuclear weapons state like
North Korea would probably have yields similar to the first weapons
developed by the United States; i.e. 10-20 kilotonnes.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

Last edited:
Orion1 said:

I thought this would be an interesting video for physics majors to watch:

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/28850/Underground_Nuclear_Explosions.html"
What were those pre-fab buildings on stilts? Looked like they survived pretty well.

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't get it? the world is against north korea even getting a nuclear research program and the UN hassels them when the UN has who knows how many nukes! and anyways NK isn't stupid enough to nuke anyone especailly when they know that their coutry could be leved in less than a week by all the nukes the UN has

The UN does not have nuclear weapons. The nuclear weapons are under the control of the those nations which have the capability of designing and manufacturing them.

South Korea's seismic monitoring center alleges there was indeed a magnitude 3.6 quake.

A seismic wave of magnitude 3.58 had been detected in the district of Gilju in North Hamkyung province.

h = -2,000 meters (below the surface).

M - Richters
3.5 = 178 metric tons
4.0 = 1 kiloton

1 kt TNT explosion is roughly equivalent to a magnitude 4 earthquake.
1-kiloton nuclear explosion would produce a magnitude in the range of about 4.0 to 4.5 on the Richter scale

I calculate the first NK test yield at 1 kiloton.

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_magnitude_scale

Last edited:
Orion1 said:

I calculate the first NK test yield at 1 kiloton.

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_magnitude_scale
Orion1,

The current reports are that the NK weapon was about 550 tons or ~1/2 kiloton.

As the Wikipedia article you stated states at the end; these formulas are not very
useful for estimating yields. The local geology has a big impact on how much
the energy of the bomb couples into seismic waves, and how those waves propagate.

Estimating the yield of a nuclear test from seismic data is much more complex
than what is found in the Wikipedia article, and they acknowledge that.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

1. What is an underground nuclear explosion?

An underground nuclear explosion is a powerful detonation of a nuclear weapon that occurs below the Earth's surface. It is typically carried out for military or scientific purposes and can have devastating effects on the surrounding area.

2. How does an underground nuclear explosion differ from an above-ground explosion?

An underground nuclear explosion differs from an above-ground explosion in several ways. The main difference is that the blast and radiation effects are contained underground, which can limit the immediate damage to the surrounding area. However, underground explosions may still release radioactive materials into the environment and can have long-term effects.

3. What are the potential risks and consequences of an underground nuclear explosion?

The potential risks and consequences of an underground nuclear explosion include the release of radioactive materials, which can contaminate the surrounding area and have long-term health effects on humans and the environment. Depending on the size and location of the explosion, it can also cause seismic activity and damage to underground structures such as tunnels and mines.

4. How are underground nuclear explosions monitored and detected?

Underground nuclear explosions are monitored and detected through a variety of methods, including seismic sensors, satellite imagery, and atmospheric sampling. These methods can help identify and confirm the occurrence of an underground nuclear explosion, as well as provide information about its location, size, and potential effects.

5. Are there any international regulations or treaties regarding underground nuclear explosions?

Yes, there are several international regulations and treaties that address underground nuclear explosions. The Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT) prohibits all nuclear explosions, including underground ones, and has been signed by over 180 countries. Additionally, the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) aims to prevent the spread of nuclear weapons and technology, including underground testing.