Chemistry - Volumetric Analysis I can't do this

In summary, to find x in FeC2O4.xH2O, you need to calculate the molar mass of the hydrated salt using the number of moles of KMnO4 solution required for oxidation. This can be done by using the stoichiometric equation and the known mass of the solution. From there, you can use the molar mass to find the value of x.
rhuthwaite
How do I find x in FeC2O4.xH2O. I am told that this is a hydrated salt of 1.75g and was dissolved in acid and made up to 250ml. A 25mL sample of this solution required 29.15mL of standardised 0.0200mol/L KMnO4 solution for complete oxidation.

I worked out n(MnO4-) = cv = 5.83 x 10^-4 moles
and n(C2O4^2-) = 1.4575 x 10^-3 moles
and c(C2O4^2-) = n/v = 0.0583 molL-1
I just don't know how to find x

Physics news on Phys.org
How would you know of the concentration of the C2O4 anion already? You need to employ the stoichiometric equation for the pertinent reaction and then deduce things from there with the mole value you have for the titrant KMnO4.

You know number of moles in 25 mL (you have calculated it correctly, BTW), calculate number of moles in 250 mL. Now, number of moles is mass/molar mass - you know mass, you know number of moles, you can calculate molar mass of hydrate. Molar mass is all you need to find x.

1. What is volumetric analysis in chemistry?

Volumetric analysis is a method used in chemistry to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution by measuring the volume of a reactant needed to react completely with the substance.

2. How do I perform a volumetric analysis?

To perform a volumetric analysis, you will need to use a burette to accurately measure the volume of a solution, a flask to hold the solution being analyzed, and a standardized solution of a known concentration to react with the substance being analyzed. The volume of the standardized solution needed to react completely with the substance can then be used to calculate the concentration of the substance in the original solution.

3. What is the purpose of using a standardized solution in volumetric analysis?

A standardized solution is used in volumetric analysis because it has a known concentration, allowing for accurate and precise measurements. This helps to ensure the reliability of the results obtained from the analysis.

4. How do I calculate the concentration of a substance using volumetric analysis?

To calculate the concentration of a substance using volumetric analysis, you will need to use the volume of the standardized solution used in the analysis, the volume of the solution being analyzed, and the known concentration of the standardized solution. By using a simple formula, you can determine the concentration of the substance in the original solution.

5. What are some common sources of error in volumetric analysis?

Some common sources of error in volumetric analysis include inaccurate measurements due to human error, evaporation of solutions during the analysis, and improper calibration of equipment. It is important to carefully follow the steps of the analysis and use proper techniques to minimize these sources of error.