Understanding Major GPA: What it is and How to Calculate It

• Programs
  • Thread starter jbusc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gpa Major
In summary: If so, they have a policy that states that if you have a 3.0 in any course, it can be counted towards your major GPA. Major GPA is the one that really counts.In summary, major GPA is the one that counts the most when it comes to getting into a good college. It is the GPA for your major department, not your cumulative GPA.
jbusc
I hear all the time on here about "major GPA" and how it's just as or more important as cumulative GPA. I'm kind of confused though what people mean by it - cumulative GPA is easy since you count all classes you've taken in college. But major GPA could be:

1. Only classes in your major department (say, for me, EE)
2. Only non-GE classes required for the major (including, say, calc 3, but not including the EE elective that counted only for unit credit)
3. a combo of 1 and 2 (all classes in your home department plus all outside non-GE requirements like math and physics)
4. All "technical" classes (all math, physics, and engineering courses taken, regardless of if they're required or not)
5. Something entirely different?!

I would think it would be 4 (or possibly 3) but I just have no clue. My university doesn't define "major GPA" (they do define "department GPA", we have to make a 2.0 both in all classes as well as all classes in the home department)

So, how do you do it? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Majore GPA is all the courses required by your department. So yes, it woudl be all EE courses for you. In major GPA is the one that really counts.

Over here we have a list of all classe you have to take, and its broken down as follows:

'Core General Education Program' and 'Major Requirements'.

This is to prevent people from taking lots of liberal arts classes and getting a 3.9, when their in major GPA is really something bogus like a 3.3.

Undergraduate Mechanical Engineering Curriculum
123 Credits

University CORE Program 27 Credits
Humanities & Social Sciences

Basic Science Requirements 30 Credits
CHEM 135 General Chemistry
PHYS 161 General Physics I
PHYS 260 General Physics II
PHYS 270 General Physics III
MATH 140 Calculus I
MATH 141 Calculus II
MATH 241 Calculus III
MATH 246 Differential Equations

Engineering Science Requirements 12 Credits
ENES 100 Introduction to Engineering Design
ENES 102 Statics
ENES 220 Mechanics of Materials
ENES 221 Dynamics

Major Requirements 54 Credits
ENME 232 Thermodynamics
ENME 271 Introduction to MATLAB
ENME 331 Fluid Mechanics
ENME 332 Transfer Processes
ENME 350 Electronics & Instrumentation I
ENME 351 Electronics & Instrumentation II
ENME 361 Vibrations, Controls, & Optimization I
ENME 371 Product Engineering & Manufacturing
ENME 382 Engineering Materials & Manufacturing Processes
ENME 392 Statistical Methods for Product & Process Development
ENME 462 Vibrations, Controls, & Optimization II
ENME 472 Integrated Product & Process Development II
ENME 4XX Technical Elective

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
Majore GPA is all the courses required by your department. So yes, it woudl be all EE courses for you. In major GPA is the one that really counts.

Over here we have a list of all classe you have to take, and its broken down as follows:

'Core General Education Program' and 'Major Requirements'.

This is to prevent people from taking lots of liberal arts classes and getting a 3.9, when their in major GPA is really something bogus like a 3.3.

No Linear Lagebra?

Well, if you want to take it as an elective at the 400 level, then it would count.

Do you go to the uni of Maryland?

1. What is Major GPA?

Major GPA stands for Major Grade Point Average. It is a calculation of your average grade in courses that are specifically related to your major. This includes courses that are required for your major, as well as any electives or concentration courses within your major.

2. How is Major GPA different from overall GPA?

Overall GPA, or cumulative GPA, takes into account all courses that you have taken, including general education courses. Major GPA only considers courses that are directly related to your major. This means that your overall GPA may be higher or lower than your Major GPA depending on the grades you received in your general education courses.

3. Why is Major GPA important?

Major GPA is important because it reflects your academic performance in courses that are specifically related to your chosen major. It can be used to show your strengths and knowledge in your field of study to potential employers or graduate schools.

4. How is Major GPA calculated?

Major GPA is calculated by taking the total number of grade points earned in your major courses and dividing it by the total number of credits for those courses. Grade points are assigned based on the letter grade you received in each course, with A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, and F=0.

5. Can I improve my Major GPA?

Yes, it is possible to improve your Major GPA by retaking courses or doing well in future courses related to your major. However, keep in mind that your overall GPA may also be affected by these changes. It is important to maintain a balance between your major courses and general education courses to achieve a high overall GPA.