(-2)^some decimal = a + bi? why?

• Thread starter Matt Jacques
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of powers for negative and irrational numbers. It is explained that for positive numbers, powers can be defined as the nth root, but this does not work for negative numbers. The solution is to introduce imaginary numbers, specifically the symbol i, to define powers of negative numbers. It is also noted that powers of irrational numbers can be defined using the exponential function and logarithms.
Matt Jacques
(-2)^some decimal = a + bi? why?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What does 3^2 mean? It's 3*3. We then manipulate things algebraically and see it makes sense to define, for positive x, x^r for r 1/n for some integer n as the n'th root. We also see that x^{-r} = 1/x^r for r any integer, moreover we see we can define any rational power in this way - the power p/q is the qth root of the pth power. all well and good, but that doesn't allow us to *define* powers of negative numbers always, and have the power be not a rational number. So we add on the symbol i, so that (-1)^{1/2}:=i (that := means defined to be equal to). Adding in imaginary numbers allows us to define powers of negative numbers. Is that a sufficient start, I mean, is it puzzling to you why (-1)^{0.5} is of the form a+ib?

Do you need to know how to define the powers for irrationnal exponent?

properly, x^r := exp(r*log(x))

so it boils down to knowing exp of anything is just a power series in the anything, and defining log for arbitrary complex numbers, which can be done.

Last edited:
Egads! I can't believe I didn't see that..blame it on my lack of sleep. Now let's pretend I never asked it.

Thanks for the great explanation though!

1. What does (-2)^some decimal equal to?

The value of (-2)^some decimal is equal to a complex number in the form of a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

2. Why is (-2)^some decimal equal to a + bi?

This is because negative numbers raised to a decimal power result in complex numbers, as there is no real number that can be multiplied by itself to give a negative result.

3. Can (-2)^some decimal be simplified to a real number?

No, (-2)^some decimal cannot be simplified to a real number as it always results in a complex number.

4. What is the purpose of representing (-2)^some decimal as a + bi?

The purpose of representing (-2)^some decimal as a + bi is to have a standard form for complex numbers and to easily perform mathematical operations on them.

5. How is the imaginary unit i related to (-2)^some decimal?

The imaginary unit i represents the square root of -1 and is necessary to express the imaginary part of (-2)^some decimal, which is the bi term in the complex number a + bi.