Is A x B equal to B x A if and only if A equals B?

In summary: Thanks for trying but I think you're still confused about this.The proof is correct, but it's very confusing and ungrammatical.
Willy_Will
Hi all...

Homework Statement

Let A, B be non-empty sets, proof that A x B = B x A iff A = B

Homework Equations

A x B = Cartesian Product
iff = if and only if
^ = and

The Attempt at a Solution

Let (x,y) є A x B = B x A
iff (x,y) є (A X B) ^ (x,y) є (B x A)
iff (x є A ^ y є B) ^ (x є B ^ y є A)
iff (x є A ^ y є A) ^ (x є B ^ y є B)
iff (x,y) є A ^ (x,y) є B
iff (x,y) є A = B

Its that right?

Also, if one of the sets if empty, will the statement hold?

Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your proof is correct in essence, but hugely confusing and ungrammatical. (x,y) for x in A and y in A is not an element of A. It's an element of AxA. First prove if A=B then AxB=BxA. That's pretty easy, right? Now prove if AxB=BxA then A=B. It's actually easiest (and much more clear) to prove this by contradiction. And if one of the sets is empty then the cartesian product is empty. Does that make that case easy?

Hi, I do not understand the proof and I see that my proof is inadequate. How would you do this by contradiction? And does AxA need to be in the proof? This is what I did:

assume AxB=BxA
let x be an element of A,B ^ y be an element of A,B
(x,y) is an element of A ^ (x,y) is an element of B
so A=B

To prove two sets are equal, you want to prove every element of one is an element of the other. Start with your assumption AxB=BxA. Pick any x in A and any y in B. Then (x,y) is an element of AxB. But since AxB=BxA that mean (x,y) is also an element of BxA. Hence?

Thanks for responding and helping me, but I'm not sure if I'm following, here is what I get: I should show

assume AxB=BxA
let x be an element of A ^ y be an element of B
(x,y) is an element of AxB
if yes then (x,y) is an element of BxA
so AxB=BxA
so A=B

No, no. You assumed AxB=BxA. You don't conclude it. If (x,y) is an element of BxA then x is an element of B and y is an element of A. But remember x was ANY element of A and y was ANY element of B. So A=B BECAUSE any element of A is an element of B and vice-versa.

1. What is a Cartesian product proof?

A Cartesian product proof is a type of mathematical proof that involves using the concept of Cartesian product to demonstrate the validity of a statement or theorem. The Cartesian product is the set of all ordered pairs of elements from two given sets.

2. How do you perform a Cartesian product proof?

To perform a Cartesian product proof, you first need to identify the two sets involved and then form their Cartesian product. Next, you need to show that the elements in the Cartesian product satisfy the given statement or theorem. This can be done by using logical reasoning and mathematical operations.

3. What are the key properties of Cartesian product used in a proof?

The key properties of Cartesian product used in a proof include the commutative, associative, and distributive properties. These properties allow for the manipulation and simplification of the Cartesian product, making it easier to perform the proof.

4. What are some common applications of Cartesian product proofs?

Cartesian product proofs are commonly used in various fields of mathematics such as set theory, combinatorics, and graph theory. They are also used in computer science and engineering to solve problems related to data structures and algorithms.

5. What are some tips for successfully completing a Cartesian product proof?

Some tips for successfully completing a Cartesian product proof include practicing with simpler examples, carefully defining the sets and their elements, and using logical reasoning and mathematical operations to manipulate the Cartesian product. It is also important to carefully check each step and make sure it follows logically from the previous step.