Minimization with a binary to seven segment decoder in Verilog

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving creating a binary to seven segment decoder in Verilog. The speaker has set up a truth table and is trying to minimize it by each segment, but is unsure if the fact that the device is active low will affect the process. They also question the benefits of reducing the equations and ask for clarification on how it will work. The conversation then moves on to discussing how the input and output for the circuit will work, and the potential use of Karnaugh maps to simplify the process. The experts provide advice and tips on how to properly use K-maps and point out some errors in the equations. The speaker then presents their updated equations and asks for verification. The experts point out some additional errors and offer
ranger said:
Why did you label your 7-seg like that? Isn't it suppose to be like http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/mechatronics/figures/6-34.gif ?

Yikes, you might be right. I looked in my HP Opto catalog and just went from there, but I may have gone a bit too quickly. I'm at home now without the HP catalog, and a quick google gave me the same a-g ordering as you posted

http://www.ibiblio.org/kuphaldt/socratic/output/proj_ctr.pdf

Sorry if I confused anybody. I wish I could claim that I was just testing y'all again...but then again, if I were testing folks, you passed the test ranger!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey guys, sorry it took so long for me to reply. I've been finishing up some other work.

It turns out the problem was solved by using the product of sums instead of the sum of products for the active low device. The device works in simulation now, and I'll be testing it on a FPGA later.

Thank you both so much, berkeman and ranger! You were both very helpful and patient and I appreciate it very much.