What is the Effect of Voltage Drops on Electrical Potential Energy?

• Thread starter aje8127
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, the concept of voltage drop refers to the difference in voltage across a resistor in a circuit. This voltage difference is necessary for current to flow through the circuit, and it decreases as the current passes through each component, including resistors and wires. In reality, there will always be some resistance in the circuit, resulting in a non-zero voltage even after passing through all components.
aje8127
I am a fifteen year old teaching myself electricity and electronics I already know Ohms law and all direct current basics as I've read a book on it. Although I understand all of the relations I am still confused as to what a "voltage drop" actually is. When it is said that the voltage "drops" across a resistor, does this mean that the voltage actually decreases after going through a resistor?

This is how I understand voltage thus far. Work is required to cause a difference in the amount of electrons on two bodies. When a conductive path is given, the electrons will flow to the body with a deficiency of electrons and perform work on any resistance within the circuit. A battery is constantly doing work to maintain a potential difference. Here's what I don't get:

If I have a battery with an electrical potential of 10 Joules per Coulomb (volts) and I have a 2 Ohm resistor (R1) and a 3 Ohm resistor (R2) in series, there will be a current of 2 Amps flowing through the circuit. In the 2 Ohm resistor there will be a drop in electrical potential energy of 4 Joules per Coulomb. Therefore, the voltage right after R1 should be 6 Joules per Coulomb. Then, the current will go through R2 and the voltage should drop to 0 Joules per Coulomb. My question is, if there is 0 Joules per Coulomb after R2, how does the current make it to the positive terminal of the battery? It just makes sense that after going through each resistor, the potential energy of each charge (the joules per coulomb; volts) should decrease. Am I understanding this correctly? If not could you please explain electrical potential energy (voltage). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Anthony

Physics news on Phys.org
aje8127 said:
I am still confused as to what a "voltage drop" actually is. When it is said that the voltage "drops" across a resistor, does this mean that the voltage actually decreases after going through a resistor?
It means there is a voltage difference across the resistor. Think of it like water, current is the amount flowing through a component - you can't gain or lose current in the same way you can't gain or lose water in a pipe. Voltage is like pressure, there must be a pressure difference for the water to flow - all the pressure differences must add up.

My question is, if there is 0 Joules per Coulomb after R2, how does the current make it to the positive terminal of the battery?
In reality the connection has a bit of resistance so the potential is actually zero until it reaches battery.

Across any component(s) - including wires and battery - of a (nonsuperconducting) circuit, resistance remains greater than zero. Thus voltage, as a relative measurement, always has nonzero value between any two distinct points in an active circuit loop.

1. What is a voltage drop?

A voltage drop is the decrease in voltage that occurs when electricity travels through a conductor, such as a wire. It is caused by the resistance of the material the electricity is passing through, and can result in a decrease in the amount of power available to a circuit.

2. How is voltage drop calculated?

Voltage drop is calculated by multiplying the current in a circuit by the resistance of the material it is passing through. This can be done using Ohm's law, which states that voltage drop (V) equals current (I) multiplied by resistance (R): V = I * R.

3. What causes voltage drop?

Voltage drop can be caused by a variety of factors, including the length and thickness of the wire, the type of material the wire is made of, and the amount of current flowing through the circuit. It can also be affected by temperature changes and the presence of any faulty connections in the circuit.

4. How does voltage drop affect circuits?

Voltage drop can cause a decrease in the amount of power available to a circuit, which can result in devices not functioning properly or not receiving enough power to operate. In some cases, excessive voltage drop can also cause overheating and damage to the circuit components.

5. How can voltage drop be reduced?

Voltage drop can be reduced by using larger and thicker wires, minimizing the length of the wire, and using materials with lower resistance. It is also important to properly size and design circuits to handle the expected amount of current. Regular maintenance and checking for any faulty connections can also help reduce voltage drop.