How Do You Calculate the Final Kinetic Energy of a Jet-Powered Train?

• Thread starter eagles_reciever
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusing
In summary, the conversation is about trying to solve a problem involving an experimental train powered by a jet engine. The goal is to find the change in kinetic energy and the final kinetic energy of the train, but the velocity is unknown. Suggestions are made to use equations such as work done by force or the kinematic equation to find the velocity.
eagles_reciever
Confusing problem? HELP please!

i am trying to solve this problem:

In the 1950s, an experimental train that had a mass of 2.60 X 10^4 kg was powered across a level track by a jet engine that produced a thrust of 5.25 X 10^5 N for a distance of 509 m. Assume that air resistance is negligible.

i am trying to find out the change in kinetic energy of the train and the final kinetic energy. however i cannot figure out what the velocity of the train is. Can anyone help please or provided an equation??

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need it.
You are to find the CHANGE in the kinetic energy; that can be calculated by the work done by the force given.

arildno said:
You don't need it.
You are to find the CHANGE in the kinetic energy; that can be calculated by the work done by the force given.

im not understanding.. so find the change in work?

Speed equation?

how would i find the speed of the train in this problem:

In the 1950s, an experimental train that had a mass of 2.60 104 kg was powered across a level track by a jet engine that produced a thrust of 5.25 105 N for a distance of 509 m. Assume that air resistance is negligible.

The equation is d/t but i do not know what the time is. can anyone help please?

[Edit: Multiple threads merged. One thread per problem please! - Doc Al]

Last edited by a moderator:
eagles_reciever said:
how would i find the speed of the train in this problem:

In the 1950s, an experimental train that had a mass of 2.60 104 kg was powered across a level track by a jet engine that produced a thrust of 5.25 105 N for a distance of 509 m. Assume that air resistance is negligible.

The equation is d/t but i do not know what the time is. can anyone help please?
If I assume the acceleration to be uniform, I would suggest to use the kinematic equation :
[itex]V_{f}^{2}=V_{i}^{2}+2*a*d[/itex]

as you know d and a.

No, force times distance equals change in kinetic energy.

What is a confusing problem?

A confusing problem is a situation or issue that is difficult to understand or solve due to its complexity or lack of clear information.

How can I solve a confusing problem?

The best way to solve a confusing problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try brainstorming, seeking advice from others, or doing additional research to gain more information.

What are some common causes of confusing problems?

Confusing problems can be caused by a variety of factors, such as a lack of clear communication, conflicting information, or a lack of understanding of the problem itself. They can also arise from complex systems or issues with multiple variables.

What are some strategies for preventing confusing problems?

To prevent confusing problems, it is important to prioritize clear communication and understanding among all parties involved. Additionally, establishing clear processes and procedures can help to avoid confusion and prevent problems from arising.

When should I ask for help with a confusing problem?

If you have been working on a confusing problem for an extended period of time and have not been able to make progress, it may be time to seek assistance from someone with a different perspective or more expertise in the subject matter.