Troubleshooting Derive 6 for a BV Problem

In summary, the conversation is about trying to understand the use of Derive 6 in solving a differential equation with initial conditions. The person is using the DSOLVE2_BV function but is not getting the correct answer. They are questioning if they should solve it by hand or use a computer program. The other person suggests using the variation of parameters method but notes that it may be difficult to solve the integrals.
gtfitzpatrick
i'm not sure if this is the right place but I'm trying to get my head around derive 6 and i have a couple of questions that don't seem to be coming out right...

d[tex]^{2}[/tex]y/dx[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 8dy/dx + 16y = (4e[tex]^{-4x}[/tex])(sinx+cosx)[tex]^{2}[/tex] ; y(0)=y'(0)=0

so i inputed DSOLVE2_BV(8, 16, (4·^(- 4·x))·(SIN(x) + COS(x)) ∧ 2, x, 0, 0)

but its not throwing up the right answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you doing this by hand or computer? If you're solving it by hand, note that the variation of parameters works here; only problem is that the integrals you have to solve for the particular solutions can be rather difficult, though doable.

trying by computer, using a program called derive

1. Why is my BV problem not working in Derive 6?

There could be several reasons why your BV problem is not working in Derive 6. Some common causes include incorrect input values, errors in the equations or functions used, or compatibility issues with the software. It is important to carefully check all inputs and equations to ensure they are accurate and compatible with Derive 6.

2. How can I troubleshoot errors in Derive 6 for my BV problem?

If you are encountering errors in Derive 6 while trying to solve your BV problem, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue. First, double-check all input values and equations to ensure they are correct. Next, try re-entering the equations or functions in a different format. You can also try using different methods or techniques in Derive 6 to solve the problem. If the issue persists, you may need to contact technical support for further assistance.

3. Can I use Derive 6 to solve a complex BV problem?

Yes, Derive 6 is capable of solving complex BV problems. However, it is important to ensure that all input values and equations are accurate and compatible with the software. You may also need to use more advanced techniques or methods to solve the problem, depending on its complexity.

4. How do I input matrices in Derive 6 for my BV problem?

To input matrices in Derive 6 for your BV problem, you can use the "Matrix" function. This function allows you to enter the elements of the matrix in a specific format, separated by commas or spaces. You can also use the "Matrix" function to perform operations on matrices, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and inversion.

5. Can I save my work in Derive 6 for my BV problem?

Yes, you can save your work in Derive 6 for your BV problem. The software allows you to save your equations, functions, and results in a file for future use. This can be useful for referencing or editing your work later on. It is recommended to save your work frequently to avoid losing any progress.