Capacitor circuit, time for current to drop

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time it takes for the current to decrease to a specific value in an RC circuit. The circuit is initially charged to 100 volts and the switch is closed at t=0. The given equations and variables are used to find the time by using I = Io*e^-t/RC, where Io = V/R. The final answer is approximately 0.04 seconds.
scholio

Homework Statement

the capacitor is originally charged to 100 volts. the switch is closed at t=0. how long does it take for the current to drop to 0.068 amps?

circuit drawing attached

Homework Equations

capacitance C = Q/V where Q is charge, V is electric potential

V = IR where I is current, R is resistance

I = dW/dt where W is work, t is time

I = epsilon/ R_1 + R_2 where epsilon is battery emf, R is resistance

QV/t = I^2R where t is time ---> t = QV/I^2R

The Attempt at a Solution

right now, i am trying to figure out the equation to use, i have a feeling the capacitance formula does not come into play. but there is a capacitance value given in the diagram of 100*10^-6 farads, should i use C = Q/V to find charge Q?

Q = CV = 100*10^-6 (100) = 0.01 coulombs

the variables i do have are R and V, so i can find I using I = V/R = 100/200 = 0.5 ampere

t = QV/I^2R ---> should I be the change in I (0.5 - 0.068 = 0.432)?

t = (0.01*100)/(0.068^2(200)) = 1/0.9248 = 1.08 seconds

did i do it correctly?

Attachments

• switchyo.JPG
    switchyo.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In RC circuit current increases exponentially. The instantaneous current is gives by
I = Io*e^-t/RC where Io = V/R

okay so use that equation i got this:

0.068 = (100/200)e^(-t/(200(100*10^-6)))
0.136 = e^(-t/0.02)
ln(0.136) = -t/0.02
-t = -0.039 = 0.04 seconds

does that make sense?

1. How does a capacitor circuit work?

A capacitor circuit is composed of a capacitor, which is an electronic component that stores electrical charge, and other components such as resistors and inductors. When a voltage is applied to the circuit, the capacitor charges up and stores electrical energy. When the voltage source is removed, the capacitor discharges its stored energy, creating a flow of current through the circuit.

2. What is the time constant of a capacitor circuit?

The time constant of a capacitor circuit is a measure of how quickly the capacitor charges or discharges. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance in the circuit by the capacitance of the capacitor. It is typically denoted by the symbol "τ" and has units of seconds.

3. How long does it take for the current to drop in a capacitor circuit?

The time for the current to drop in a capacitor circuit depends on the time constant and the initial charging voltage. The current will decrease exponentially over time, with the majority of the charge being dissipated in approximately 5 time constants. However, the exact time for the current to drop to zero will depend on the specific circuit parameters.

4. What factors can affect the time for current to drop in a capacitor circuit?

The time for current to drop in a capacitor circuit can be affected by the capacitance of the capacitor, the resistance in the circuit, and the initial charging voltage. Additionally, the presence of other components such as inductors can also impact the time constant and therefore affect the time for current to drop.

5. How can I calculate the time for current to drop in a capacitor circuit?

The time for current to drop in a capacitor circuit can be calculated using the formula t = RC, where "t" is the time for current to drop, "R" is the resistance in the circuit, and "C" is the capacitance of the capacitor. It is important to note that this is an approximation and the actual time for current to drop may vary depending on the specific circuit parameters.