Is a Bachelor's Degree Necessary for Success in Web Design Business?

• Thread starter LightbulbSun
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's goal of starting their own web design business and their plans to obtain an associates degree in web design. The question is raised whether a bachelors degree would be more beneficial for running a web design business, and the conversation also touches on the competitiveness of the field and the importance of personal experience and a strong portfolio. The suggestion is made to also consider a degree in graphic design.
LightbulbSun
My ultimate goal is to eventually start my own web design business, which I kind of have right now, in the sense that I've already done work for a few different clients, but it's nothing concrete. I'm going back to school in the spring to work on getting an associates degree in web design. However, is it better if I strive to get a bachelors degree in web design, especially if I plan on running my own web design business down the road, or will an associates suffice?

Computer science news on Phys.org
LightbulbSun said:
My ultimate goal is to eventually start my own web design business, which I kind of have right now, in the sense that I've already done work for a few different clients, but it's nothing concrete. I'm going back to school in the spring to work on getting an associates degree in web design. However, is it better if I strive to get a bachelors degree in web design, especially if I plan on running my own web design business down the road, or will an associates suffice?
I'd say neither if all you plan to do is website design. I don't think people care if you have a degree in website design (are you serious, they actually have degrees in this now?). People will want to see how good you are and then shop around based on price. Have you researched how many people do website design and can't make a living doing it? Sorry if I sound negative, but I know lots of people that went belly up, there is just too much competition.

When I used to advise small business start ups as part of my job, the first question was "who will be your competition and why would someone do business with you instead of them?". Most could not answer the question.

I would suggest perhaps another major, so you have something to fall back on, just in case.

Last edited:
Evo said:
I'd say neither if all you plan to do is website design. I don't think people care if you have a degree in website design (are you serious, they actually have degrees in this now?).

Yes, but it encompasses programming, and the basics of software design too.

People will want to see how good you are and then shop around based on price. Have you researched how many people do website design and can't make a living doing it? Sorry if I sound negative, but I know lots of people that went belly up, there is just too much competition.

I know of someone who started up one and is now making a ton of money off of it. Like six figures a year. I'm not saying that will happen to everyone who starts up one, but if the potential clients like my work, they'll want to hire me.

LightbulbSun said:

The field of web design is very competitive. In web design it not the degree that matters, it's personal experience. If you want to get into that industry you need a complete portfolio of websites you have done. These include personal websites and non-paid sites. If you have any knowledge of HTML/javascript/php or anything else you should be looking for website gigs. having that experience goes a lot further than just having a degree. I think for web design a degree in graphic design would also be useful.

1. What are the main differences between short-term and long-term end goals?

Short-term end goals are typically achievable within a shorter period of time, such as weeks or months, while long-term end goals require more time and effort and may take years to accomplish. Short-term goals are often more specific and tangible, while long-term goals are broader and more abstract.

2. How do I determine which end goal is better for me?

The best end goal for an individual depends on their personal values, interests, and priorities. It is important to consider the potential impact of each goal on your life and the steps required to achieve it. Ultimately, the better end goal is one that aligns with your values and brings you fulfillment and satisfaction.

3. What are some common end goals for individuals and organizations?

Some common end goals for individuals include career advancement, financial stability, personal growth, and relationships. For organizations, end goals may include profit growth, market expansion, customer satisfaction, and social impact.

4. Is it better to have multiple smaller end goals or one larger end goal?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. Some individuals may find more success by focusing on one large end goal at a time, while others may benefit from having multiple smaller goals to work towards simultaneously. It ultimately depends on an individual's motivation, time management, and ability to prioritize.

5. How can I stay motivated and on track while working towards an end goal?

To stay motivated, it can be helpful to break down the end goal into smaller, achievable tasks and celebrate each milestone along the way. It is also important to regularly reassess and adjust the end goal if necessary, as circumstances and priorities may change. Surrounding yourself with a supportive network and seeking guidance from mentors can also help keep you on track towards your end goal.