How do I model an Indeterminately Loaded Beam using theory?

• Thread starter bakoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam
In summary, the conversation is about a lab involving beam bending and how to model it with theory. The beam is clamped on both ends and has two loads applied to it. The deflection is measured using a quarter bridge strain gauge. The person is seeking help on how to calculate the deflection, taking into account the fixed end theorem and using superposition to solve for the unknown reactions. They have found the name of the beam configuration and are still working on how to apply superposition to it.
bakoo
Hey

This may seem like a homework question, but its actually extending my knowledge...

I attended a lab, and it was for beam bending, here is the setup...

Beam of length was clamped at either end, think this is called "Indeterminately Loaded Beam"? Two loads are then applied to it, one at 25% of the way, and one at 75% of the way.

The delfection was measured, and using a quarter bridge strain gauge the strain was took.

Here is my problem, i want to know how to model this with theory, but i can't seem to figure out how to do it?

This is just to expand my understanding of loading, rather than any homework, but if it comes up in the future I want to know how to do my calculations.

Thanks for any help or light you can shed on this for me.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you clarify how it is clamped. Is it supported on both ends or is set up as a cantilever? If it is set up in cantilever configuration use this equation to model it.

deflection = Load/(6 * Modulus of Elasticity * Moment of Inertia) * (2 * l^3 - 3 * l^2*x + x^3)

l = length of beam from clamping point to end
x = distance from end that load is placed

For multiple loads you could use superposition principles to figure out the total deflection.

Its clamped on both ends

/|...L1...L2...|\
/|____V______V_____|\
/|......|\

The V is where the L load is applied... For clarification __v_____v___ is the beam and |\ is the wall/clamp/fixing as in a cantilever beam. The ..... are just to format, so ignor

Strain gauage is possitioned between L1 and the wall/clamp

Thanks

It should still work with superposition. In calculating the stress you would figure out three simultaneous equations for the beam, by breaking loose all the redundant fixtures, until the beam is determinate and replacing them with unknown reactions.

This beam set up is the same as a cantilever with a moment and an upward force acting to the free end.

You solve for the unknown reactions (moment and upward force) in the simultaneous equations. Now that you have solved for the unknown reactions plug them back into the free body diagram and solve for the internal beam stresses.

The part I am not to sure about is how to account for the fixed end theorem for both ends of the beam to get actual results instead of theoretical.

Hope that helps

Hey

i will use superpossition to try and solve this, i have the real results so if the theory is close they i will know i have it right.

Thanks again for the advice

I have found the name of the beam configuration.

Its related to as a "Fixed end beam" and i think you apply superpossition to it from simply supported and cantilever, but still working on this to find how its done?

1. What is an indeterminately loaded beam?

An indeterminately loaded beam is a structural element used in construction that is subjected to loads or forces from different directions and magnitudes, making it difficult to determine the exact internal forces and reactions at any given point.

2. How is an indeterminately loaded beam different from a determinate beam?

A determinate beam is a structural element that can be analyzed using equations and formulas to determine the internal forces and reactions within the beam. An indeterminately loaded beam, on the other hand, requires more complex methods of analysis due to the varying and unknown external forces acting on it.

3. What are the common types of indeterminately loaded beams?

The most common types of indeterminately loaded beams are simply supported beams, cantilever beams, and continuous beams. Simply supported beams have a support at each end and are commonly used in bridges and roofs. Cantilever beams have one end fixed and are often used in balconies and canopies. Continuous beams have multiple supports and are used in long-span structures like bridges and buildings.

4. How is the internal analysis of an indeterminately loaded beam done?

The internal analysis of an indeterminately loaded beam is done using methods such as the slope-deflection method, moment distribution method, and virtual work method. These methods involve solving a series of equations and equations to determine the internal forces and reactions within the beam.

5. What are the factors that can affect the behavior of an indeterminately loaded beam?

The behavior of an indeterminately loaded beam can be affected by various factors such as the type and magnitude of external loads, the material and cross-section of the beam, the supports and connections, and the presence of any additional loads or constraints. These factors must be carefully considered during the design and analysis of an indeterminately loaded beam.