Parametrizing a Surface by Revolving y = lnx Around the y Axis

• Thread starter hils0005
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surface
In summary, to parametrize the surface obtained by revolving the curve y = lnx around the y axis, we can use the parametric equations x = r cos(theta), y = lnr, and z = r sin(theta), where r = sqrt(x^2 + z^2) and theta ranges from 0 to 2pi. This can be thought of as using cylindrical coordinates, with y as the vertical coordinate and x and z as the horizontal coordinates.
hils0005

Homework Statement

Parametrize a surface obtained by revolving the curve y = lnx, as x goes from 1 to 10 about the y axis

The Attempt at a Solution

y=lnx
x=lnxcos(theta)
z=lnxsin(theta)

vector r(x,theta) = lnx cos(theta) i + lnx j + lnxsin(theta) k

0[tex]\leq[/tex] (theta) [tex]\leq[/tex] 2pi
1[tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 10

I'm not really sure how to complete, or if this is correct-any ideas would be helpful, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi hils0005! :smile:
hils0005 said:
Parametrize a surface obtained by revolving the curve y = lnx, as x goes from 1 to 10 about the y axis

x=lnxcos(theta)

Nooo … how can x be lnx times something?

Draw a diagram (with pretty circles on :wink:), and try again! :smile:

Obviously I 'm confused by Parametrizations
the given function is in the form y= f(x,z)
x=cos(theta)
y=lnx
z=sin(theta)

theta from 0 to 2pi
x from 1 to 10

hils0005 said:
Obviously I 'm confused by Parametrizations
the given function is in the form y= f(x,z)
x=cos(theta)
y=lnx
z=sin(theta)

theta from 0 to 2pi
x from 1 to 10

hmm …

i] it's a surface, so it'll need two parameters

ii] how can x=cos(theta) and z=sin(theta)? that means x2 + z2 = 1.

Choose another parameter, and try again! :smile:

If y= ln(x) is revolved around the y-axis, then y= ln(r) where r= [itex]\sqrt{x^2+ z^2}[/itex].

You are going to have "tilt" your head and think about "cylindrical" coordinates where y rather than z is one of the coordinates.

1. What does it mean to "parametrize a surface"?

Parametrizing a surface means to represent the points on a surface using a set of parameters or variables. This allows for the surface to be described and manipulated using equations and mathematical operations.

2. Why is it important to parametrize a surface?

Parametrizing a surface makes it easier to work with and analyze mathematically. It can also help in visualizing and understanding the properties of the surface.

3. How do you parametrize a surface?

The specific method for parametrizing a surface depends on the type of surface. Generally, it involves finding a set of equations or functions that relate the parameters to the coordinates of the surface. This can be done using geometric and algebraic techniques.

4. What are some common surfaces that are parametrized?

Some common surfaces that are parametrized include spheres, cylinders, cones, and planes. Parametrization is also used in more complex surfaces such as ellipsoids, tori, and hyperboloids.

5. Can you give an example of parametrizing a surface?

An example of parametrizing a surface is representing a sphere using spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ) where r is the distance from the origin, θ is the angle from the positive x-axis, and φ is the angle from the positive z-axis. The equations would be x = rcosθsinφ, y = rsinθsinφ, z = rcosφ.