Speed of water from a sprinkley

• Thread starter cashmoney805
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed Water
In summary, four lawn sprinkler heads fed by a 1.9cm diameter pipe release water at a 35 degree angle to the horizontal, covering a radius of 8m. To find the water velocity, the continuity equation is used, with the flow rate being equal to the velocity multiplied by the area. By treating the water as a projectile, the velocity can be found using the given angle and distance traveled. For the second part, the flow rate from each head is found by multiplying the velocity by the area.
cashmoney805

Homework Statement

Four lawn sprinkler heads are fed by a 1.9cm diameter pip.e The water comes out of the heads at angle of 35 degrees to the horizontal and covers a radius of 8m.
a) What is the velocity of the water coming out of each sprinkler head?
b) If the output diameter of each head is 3.0mm, how many liters of water do the four heads deliver per second?

Homework Equations

Continuity: A1*v1 = A2*v2

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a), I see the water covers a radius of 8m, so an area of 64pi meters. It must do this in a horizontal direction, so the speed is only in the X direction. I don't really know how to find out velocity though, because we don't know any other velocity.
For (b) I assume once you just multiply the area by the velocity found in (a)

Physics news on Phys.org
cashmoney805 said:
For (a), I see the water covers a radius of 8m, so an area of 64pi meters. It must do this in a horizontal direction, so the speed is only in the X direction. I don't really know how to find out velocity though, because we don't know any other velocity.
Hint: When the water leaves the sprinkler head, it becomes a projectile. (What if, instead of water, it was a ball throw at a given angle? How would you solve it then?)
For (b) I assume once you just multiply the area by the velocity found in (a)
Yes, the flow rate from each head is given by V*Area.

Doc Al said:
Hint: When the water leaves the sprinkler head, it becomes a projectile. (What if, instead of water, it was a ball throw at a given angle? How would you solve it then?)
I don't know what to do here. I know for a projectile you would figure out the total time in the air based on the y-component of velocity, then you can figure out the x component of velocity. So in this problem Vy = Vsin(35) and Vx=Vcos(35). How does this help though if I don't know V?

You're asked to find V. You know the distance traveled--use it.

Haha I don't know how to. There are 2 variables missing- V (which I have to find) and t. I would say get t from another equation, but I can't get it from the y=yo +Vyo + .5at^2 because y is missing.

cashmoney805 said:
There are 2 variables missing- V (which I have to find) and t.
Luckily you have two equations.
I would say get t from another equation, but I can't get it from the y=yo +Vyo + .5at^2 because y is missing.
What's the initial and final y position?

Is it .5at^2=Vsin35t, so t=Vsin(35)/4.9?

If so, I get V=83.4 which seems really really fast.

cashmoney805 said:
Is it .5at^2=Vsin35t, so t=Vsin(35)/4.9?
That's true.
If so, I get V=83.4 which seems really really fast.
That's not. Redo that last bit.

oh sqrt, so V= 9.13. Cool.

Just one more quick question, pretty related. I did a simple problem earlier today where it was like "Romeo wants to throw a ball so it hits Juliet's windows with only the x component of velocity." They gave you the angle which he threw it at.
In that problem they set Vyo=0 and solved for t based off the height provided. How could you set Vyo=though? If Vyo=0, wouldn't Vxo also =0?
As for this case, the reason Vyo isn't =0 is because the water is moving inside the pipe and comes up and out.

1. What factors affect the speed of water from a sprinkler?

The speed of water from a sprinkler can be affected by various factors such as the water pressure, size of the nozzle, and the angle at which the water is being sprayed.

2. How can I increase the speed of water from my sprinkler?

You can increase the speed of water from your sprinkler by increasing the water pressure or using a smaller nozzle size. Adjusting the angle of the sprinkler can also help increase the speed.

3. Does the distance from the sprinkler affect the speed of the water?

Yes, the distance from the sprinkler can affect the speed of the water. As the water travels further, it may lose some of its initial speed due to friction and air resistance.

4. Can the speed of water from a sprinkler be too high?

Yes, the speed of water from a sprinkler can be too high. This can result in water being sprayed too forcefully and potentially damaging plants or causing soil erosion.

5. How does the speed of water from a sprinkler affect watering plants?

The speed of water from a sprinkler can affect watering plants by determining how much water reaches the plants and how evenly it is distributed. A higher speed may result in more water being sprayed away from the plants, while a lower speed may not provide enough water for proper hydration.