Solving for the Magnetic Field & Poynting Vector of an Electromagnetic Wave

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the corresponding magnetic field and poynting vector for an electromagnetic wave described by the equation E=Eocosw((eu)^1/2z-t)i + Eosinw((eu)^1/2z-t)j. The conversation includes some attempts at using the curl of E and integrating, and also mentions the relationship between H and B in the absence of magnetizable material. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with the understanding of how to find the poynting vector.
jc09
If the electromagnetic wave is descirbed as:
E=Eocosw((eu)^1/2z-t)i + Eosinw((eu)^1/2z-t)j
Find the corresponding magnetic field and the poynting vector.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jc09! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Well I know VxE= -dB/dt so if i get the curl of E given I will get minus the value of the differentiate form. So will I then integrate back up or is this right?

jc09 said:
Well I know VxE= -dB/dt so if i get the curl of E given I will get minus the value of the differentiate form. So will I then integrate back up or is this right?

have a del: ∇ :wink:

s'right!

go for it! :biggrin:

So I got B=(eu)^1/2Eocosw((eu)^1/2z-t) is that right.
To get the poynting vector I need to use S=E x H. What is H?

ok I got it now thanks

1. What is the relationship between the magnetic field and the Poynting vector in an electromagnetic wave?

The magnetic field and the Poynting vector are directly related in an electromagnetic wave. The Poynting vector, which represents the direction and magnitude of energy flow, is perpendicular to both the electric and magnetic fields. This means that the magnetic field is also perpendicular to the Poynting vector.

2. How do you solve for the magnetic field of an electromagnetic wave?

To solve for the magnetic field of an electromagnetic wave, you can use Maxwell's equations, specifically Faraday's law, to calculate the changing electric field. Then, you can use the relationship between the electric and magnetic fields to determine the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in an electromagnetic wave?

The strength of the magnetic field in an electromagnetic wave is affected by the amplitude of the electric field, the frequency of the wave, and the speed of light. Additionally, the material through which the wave is traveling can also affect the strength of the magnetic field.

4. How does the magnetic field in an electromagnetic wave contribute to its energy?

The magnetic field in an electromagnetic wave contributes to its energy by creating a changing electric field, which in turn generates the Poynting vector. The Poynting vector represents the flow of energy through space, and the magnetic field is an essential component in this energy transfer process.

5. Can the magnetic field and Poynting vector of an electromagnetic wave be measured?

Yes, both the magnetic field and Poynting vector of an electromagnetic wave can be measured using various instruments such as magnetic field sensors and power meters. These measurements can provide valuable information about the properties and behavior of electromagnetic waves.