How does this website read your mind.

• Thread starter jacksnap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mind
In summary, the conversation discusses a website that uses a mathematical trick to always guess the same gift that a user is thinking of. The trick involves expressing a 2-digit number as 10a+b and then subtracting a and b, resulting in a multiple of 9. The gifts labeled by multiples of 9 are always the same. The conversation also mentions another website with a similar algorithm and the use of algebra in this type of trick.
jacksnap
Hi ,
A friend sent me this website, and I was wondering how it worked,

http://www.regiftable.com/regiftingrobinpopup.html

obviously it can't read my mind, and its some kind of mathematical trick, I can initially see that all the answers i come up with are 18 apart and that gift is always the same, but why.

Jason

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hah,it's a liittle tricky.
Any 2-digital number can be expressed as 10a+b,so what you do in fact is 10a+b-a-b=9a, always a multiple of 9, and you notice that the gifts labled by 9,18,27...are always the same!

haha I liked this :biggrin:

Seriously, its not even like those "think of any number, at 20, multiply by 50, subtract 100... etc." sort of doo-wackies. It's so simple it asks for just one thing from you and gets it right every time. I was so stumped as how it was done, lol post #2 spoilt the fun :tongue2:

Thanks kof9595995 that explains it perfectly, isn't algebra wonderful.

I've just never seen it applied like that before.

fleem, that's an interesting site too, very clever.

teheh, all the multiples of 9 are the same gifts

1. How does this website read my mind?

The website uses sophisticated algorithms and machine learning techniques to analyze your behavior and patterns on the website to make predictions about your preferences and interests.

2. Is my privacy at risk when using this website?

No, the website only collects data that is necessary to improve the user experience and does not store any personal information or share it with third parties.

3. Can this website actually read my thoughts?

No, the website cannot read your thoughts. It only makes predictions based on your behavior and browsing patterns on the website.

4. How accurate are the predictions made by this website?

The accuracy of the predictions may vary, but the more you interact with the website, the more accurate the predictions become.

5. Will this website continue to read my mind even after I leave?

No, the website stops collecting data and making predictions once you leave the website or clear your browsing history.