My Grad School Chances for AMO Physics

In summary, the speaker has a background in both chemistry and physics and is interested in pursuing graduate studies in AMO physics, specifically Bose-Einstein Condensates. They have a lower overall GPA from their chemistry degree but have since improved in their physics major GPA. They have received As in all physics classes and have published two papers. They plan on applying to top AMO schools and are wondering about their chances based on their PGRE score and letters of recommendation. The speaker also mentions taking upper division math courses and the weight of publications in graduate admissions.
caruso23
Here is my deal. I went to college once and graduated with a BS in chemistry. I worked for a couple of years and decided to finish a physics BS. I want to go to grad school for physics. I would like to study AMO physics. Bose-Einstein Condensates in particular. However, I am open to many areas of research in condensed matter also. I have some odd stats. Here they are:

My overall GPA at the culmination of my chemistry undergrad was 2.7.

My overall GPA when I finish the physics degree will likely be around 3.15. My physics major GPA will be ~ 3.5.

I earned an F in a general physics class. I repeated it for a B. I earned a B in the second semester of general physics (those were taken during my first college stint).

Since then, I have received As in every other physics class I have taken - about 40 hours in total. Also, I have received As in 4 math classes after the usual Calc 1-3, Lin. Algebra, and Differential Equations. I have only earned As since the chemistry degree debacle.

I have two 2nd-author publications and I will have good letters of recommendation.

I will be taking the PGRE soon. I have been studying for a long time and I feel that I will do well.

I plan on applying to all of the top ten AMO schools.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...te-schools/top-physics-schools/atomic-science

Naturally, I would love to go to Colorado, MIT, etc., but I think they are probably very, very long shots, haha. I will also apply to UIUC and Washington PhD programs, and Cornell's MEng in applied physics.

Let us pressume that I ace the PGRE. What do you think my chances will be? How about if I only get a 700?

Please give me all the guidance that you can give. Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know that upper division physics and math courses will probably hold more weight than your chemistry or overall gpa.

Are there any physics professors that will write you a great letter of recommendation saying that you are as good or better than any student they have had? That would be fantastic. Letters of recommendation do play a fairly large role in admissions.

Your physics gpa looks pretty solid, not unusually good, but good enough for a decent program. I wonder, what were those upper division math courses you took?

Yeah, my letter writers will probably say that I am an excellent student and at least a good researcher (how good can you be at the undergrad level?). I'm pretty sure I received the highest grades out of everybody in the classes they taught. Two of them I have done research with and I'm pretty sure they will state that I am competent in the lab. Definitely more competent than other undergrads in the labs at the time.

As for the other math classes. They were advanced linear algebra, discrete math, probability models, advanced calc, and abstract algebra. That actually makes it five other math classes.

Does anyone think I will have a chance at any of the schools in the link or the ones I listed? I hope I do, but I guess there are plenty of other schools to try. I wish I would have been on the ball during the first degree.

I have been told that having publications has a lot of weight when you are looking at graduate study.

I'd say you seem to have a shot at them if you ace the pgre's. If you only do pretty well, maybe Rochester or Boulder, but I'd throw in some lower tier schools for good measure.

Note:I'm not sure how good this advice is since I'm in math rather than Physics.

1. What is AMO physics?

AMO physics stands for Atomic, Molecular, and Optical physics. It is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles at the atomic, molecular, and optical levels.

2. What factors affect my chances of getting into grad school for AMO physics?

Some factors that may affect your chances of getting into grad school for AMO physics include your academic background, research experience, letters of recommendation, GRE scores, and personal statement. It is also important to have a strong understanding of the fundamentals of physics and a passion for the field.

3. How competitive is the field of AMO physics?

The field of AMO physics is highly competitive, as it is a rapidly growing and interdisciplinary field that attracts many talented individuals. It is important to have a strong academic background and relevant research experience to increase your chances of being accepted into a grad school program for AMO physics.

4. Are there any specific skills or knowledge that would make me stand out as a candidate for grad school in AMO physics?

Having a strong background in mathematics, particularly in calculus and differential equations, is important for success in AMO physics. Additionally, experience with computer programming and laboratory techniques can also make you a strong candidate for grad school in this field.

5. What can I do to improve my chances of getting into grad school for AMO physics?

To improve your chances of getting into grad school for AMO physics, focus on developing a strong academic record, participate in research opportunities, and seek out relevant internships or work experiences. It is also important to connect with professors and potential advisors who can provide strong letters of recommendation. Additionally, preparing for and performing well on the GRE can also improve your chances of acceptance.