Calculating Voltage Drop in an AC circuit

In summary, the conversation is about finding the voltage drop of a resistor in an AC circuit and the impedance of various components. It also discusses calculating the impedance of an inductor and the difference between impedance and resistance. The correct calculation for the impedance of the inductor is Zinductor=+j400x80mH=+j32Ohms. However, the notation should be (32+j) ohms instead of (32+i) ohms.
Jordash

Homework Statement

I have a couple of questions about one of my homework assignments any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. How do you find the Voltage drop of a Resistor in an AC Circuit is it similar to DC? V=IR The Resitor value is 68 ohms and there is an 80mH inductor in front of it.

2. Would it be V=Ipeak x R3 If I was trying to find the voltage drop for R3

3. When it asks for the impedance of R3 it means the Resistance of R3 right?

4. It also asks for the Impedance of an Inductor which I know is Zinductor=+jwL (where w is rad/sec frequency)

The equation for this problem is Vs(t)=10sin(400t) the Inductor L = 80 mH

so I calculated the impedance of the Inductor to be Zinductor=+j400 x 80mH which came out to Zinductor=+j32Ohms is that correctly done?

5. It also asks for the Voltage Drop across the Inductor so that means that the Voltage Drop would be calculated as if the Inductors Impedance were a Resistance right? So it would be done same as Above?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Yes. V = IR. But to find I you must find the total impedance of the circuit. In this case
Z = sqrt( XL^2 + R^2)
2) In Ac circuit V and I are usually RMS values.
To check the other show your calculations.

3. I'm just asking if impedance is equivalent to Resistance when it asks for the Impedance of a Resistor.

4. The equation given is Vs(t)=10sin(400t) and the Inductor L is 80mH so from those two values I came up with the following as the value of the Impedance of the Inductor.

Zinductor=+jwL=+j400x80mH=+j32Ohms or (32+i)ohms for engineering notation, is that correct?

Thanks for your help.

3) We find the impedance of a circuit when it contains an inductance or capacitor or both along with a resistance. Impedance of the resistance is the resistance itself.
4) Your value is correct. But (32 + i) is not correct.

what is wrong with 32+i isn't that what the +j32Ohms represents? I thought j was used in electronics because i is used for current.

What do you mean by (32 + i) ? What is i stands for?

i is what you would actually put into a calculator i=sqrt(-1) or something like that.

i is what you would actually put into a calculator i=sqrt(-1) or something like that.

What is voltage drop in an AC circuit?

Voltage drop is the decrease in voltage that occurs when current flows through a component or conductor in an AC circuit. It is caused by the resistance of the component or conductor.

Why is it important to calculate voltage drop in an AC circuit?

Calculating voltage drop is important because it allows us to determine the amount of voltage that is lost in a circuit, which can affect the performance of electrical devices and equipment. It also helps us ensure that the circuit is designed and wired correctly to prevent overheating and potential safety hazards.

How do you calculate voltage drop in an AC circuit?

Voltage drop can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage drop (V) = current (I) x resistance (R). In an AC circuit, the voltage drop can also be affected by factors such as inductance and capacitance, which can be accounted for using complex mathematical formulas.

What factors can affect voltage drop in an AC circuit?

As mentioned before, factors such as resistance, inductance, and capacitance can affect voltage drop in an AC circuit. Other factors that can influence voltage drop include the length and thickness of the conductor, the type of material used, and the temperature of the circuit.

How can voltage drop be minimized in an AC circuit?

To minimize voltage drop in an AC circuit, you can use thicker and shorter conductors, as well as materials with lower resistance. You can also reduce the load on the circuit, which will decrease the amount of current flowing through it. Additionally, proper wiring and connections are crucial in minimizing voltage drop.