A dice rolling quesiton (from D&D 4.0)

In summary, the conversation discusses a game where 5 or 6 12-sided dice (d12) are rolled. For every 12 rolled, an extra d12 is rolled and if another 12 is rolled, another d12 is added. The average number of dice rolled and the average value rolled for starting with 5 or 6 dice is being calculated. The conversation also mentions using a summation to calculate the average value and discusses the idea of starting with only one dice and repeating the experiment with n dice. The conversation ends by mentioning that the number of rolls follows a geometric distribution and asking if the conversation can be finished.
lawtonfogle
The basic idea is this. You get to roll 5 or 6 12-sided dice (d12). For any 12's your roll, you every 12 you roll, you get to roll another d12, and if any of those result in 12's, you get another d12. What I have been trying to figure out is what is the average number of dice rolled and the average valued rolled when you start with 5 and when you start with 6 (or in a more general since, when you start with n for n being any natural number).

I have thought about how to do this, but the only thing I can even guess at trying to is make a summation for each number of rerolls, for example in the case of no rerolls we have:

6 * 6 * (11/12)^6. The first six is the average roll on a d12 when you do not count 12's (because of no rerolls). The second six is for there being 6 dice.

In the case of one extra roll, we have (I think):

6 * 6 * (11/12)^6 + 12 * 1 * (1/12). The first half is for the 6 dice not resulting in an extra roll (one of which would be the extra roll dice). The last one is for the one dice which did result in an extra roll. We have to get a 12, for there to be one extra roll, a 1 since there is only one such roll, and (1/12) for our over all chance of getting this.

So what I think the summation would be is as follows.

6 * 6 * (11/12)^6 + Summation(Starting at i = 0, going to infinity, f(i) = (12 * i * (1/12)^i)). The total of this gives the average valued rolled under this method... I think. Can anyone look over this, and if it is correct, what is the best way to calculate the summation portion? I think there may something involving Calculus estimations of summation, but it has been quite a while.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does it really matter with how many dice you start? Assume you start with only one and denote by N the number dice you are allowed to roll in this setup, i.e. 1+ number of extra rolls, by EN the average number of rolls, and by EV the average valued rolled.

if you are now given n dice, you just repeat this experiment n times, and everything is independent, so you should be able to verify that now the average number of rolls in n*EN and that the average value rolled is unchanged.

It is thus enough to consider the case n=1. the number of rolls follows what is called a geometric distribution.

Can you then finish it?

1. How does the dice rolling system work in D&D 4.0?

In D&D 4.0, the dice rolling system is based on a 20-sided die (also known as a d20). Players roll the d20 and add modifiers based on their character's abilities, skills, and equipment to determine the success or failure of their actions.

2. What is a critical hit in D&D 4.0?

A critical hit occurs when a player rolls a natural 20 (or highest number on the dice) during an attack or skill check. This results in maximum possible damage or success for that action.

3. Can players use different types of dice in D&D 4.0?

Yes, players can use different types of dice, such as a 6-sided die (d6) for damage rolls or a percentile die (d100) to determine a percentage chance of success.

4. How do players determine their starting dice rolls in D&D 4.0?

Players usually determine their starting dice rolls by rolling 4d6 (four 6-sided dice) and adding the three highest numbers together, discarding the lowest roll. This is repeated six times to determine their character's ability scores.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect dice rolling in D&D 4.0?

Yes, there are various factors that can affect dice rolling in D&D 4.0, such as conditions, spells, and equipment. These can add bonuses or penalties to a player's rolls, making them more or less likely to succeed.