How can I improve the design of my steam power plant for optimal efficiency?

In summary, the conversation involves a student from the Philippines designing a steam power plant with a 74000 KW load. The professor has provided 3 steps for the first chapter, including determining pressures and enthalpies, getting the percent extraction below 25%, and performing a third checking. The student is having trouble with the third step, specifically with negative losses and low % output, and is seeking help.
haikara
Hi professionals, I am a student from philippines and
im about to design a steam power plant with 74000 KW load.
Our professor gave us a 3 steps at first chapter

the first is that we assume the pressures needed from P2 to P8 where P2 = 8 MPa
assume T2 at centigrade, and get the enthalpies up to P8
T2 must be greater than t5, and h5 = h4' + 150
h7' must not go beyond saturation line
h8' must not go above saturation line

look at my MS excel for more infos.

second is we must get the percent extraction of <25% by getting h9 to h15

look at my MS excel for more infos.

3rd checking (look at my MS excel for more infos.)

my problem now is the 3rd checking. I am getting negative losses, low % output, I am exceeding 30% at Qbd,Qref,Qfluegas.

Attachments

• public.xls
    74 KB · Views: 224
Engineering news on Phys.org
Homework thread locked.

Please post homework questions in the homework forums of Physics Forums.

I am leaving this viewable for the time being, since it contains an attachment relevant to the problem. Once a new thread is created in the homework forum, feel free to link to this thread for access to the Excel file. If this happens, I can then merge this thread with the one in the Homework section.

1. What is the purpose of a steam power plant?

A steam power plant is designed to convert the thermal energy from burning fuels, such as coal or natural gas, into mechanical energy that can be used to generate electricity.

2. What are the main components of a steam power plant?

The main components of a steam power plant include a boiler, turbine, condenser, and generator. The boiler is responsible for heating water to produce steam, which then passes through the turbine to generate mechanical energy. The condenser cools the steam back into water, and the generator converts the mechanical energy into electricity.

3. How is the efficiency of a steam power plant determined?

The efficiency of a steam power plant is determined by the heat rate, which is the amount of heat required to produce a unit of electricity. It is affected by factors such as the type of fuel, boiler efficiency, and turbine design.

4. How is steam pressure and temperature regulated in a power plant?

Steam pressure and temperature are regulated through the use of valves and control systems. The boiler is equipped with safety valves to release excess pressure, and the turbine is controlled by a governor to maintain a constant speed and regulate steam flow.

5. What are the environmental impacts of a steam power plant?

The main environmental impacts of a steam power plant include air pollution from the burning of fossil fuels and the release of greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide. It also produces solid waste in the form of ash and can affect water quality through the discharge of heated water into water bodies.