High-Precision 60 Hz Sine Wave Generator for Circuit Elements

In summary: So, I'm grateful for any leads you might have.In summary, Bob wants a low-harmonic-distortion 60 Hz sinewave with a precision amplitude of 2.5 volts. He is considering various oscillator configurations, but ultimately decides to use an IC chip, the ICL 8038, to generate the sine wave. He prints out the circuit diagram for the wein bridge oscillator, and then tries to sync it to a 30 kHz Reference frequency. He finds that it is difficult to lock the oscillator to the Reference frequency, so he comes up with a microcontroller idea to use the processor's clock to generate the sine wave. Finally, he compares the output of the microcontroller with the incoming
Phrak
As a circuit element I need a 60 Hz sinewave with low harmonic distortion (maybe 1-2% max.) and precision amplitude (1-2% max) of about 2.5 volts.

It should be syncronous with an input reference frequency. The reference is about 30KHz and is some as-yet-undetermined multiple of 60 Hz.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How about dividing 30KHz by 500 and filtering it out?

It looks like opamp #2 in my previous post (Wein bridge oscillator) is a precision rectifier with a square wave output. Replace this with the 500th (or whatever) subharmonic of your 30 kHz oscillator. The last digital division in your chain should be a divide by two to assure a 50% duty cycle square wave output. 30 kHz; divide first by 10 by 5 by 5 then by 2.

Bob S

I've printed out the wein bridge oscillator so I can dwell on it later. But how can I sync it to 30KHz? I will invariably require a uC for other tasks so that I can develop a 60 Hz digital signal off the 30K, however, so I do have a source of 60Hz digital I might sync to.

waht said:
How about dividing 30KHz by 500 and filtering it out?

That's an OK idea. If I had a 60Hz square wave, how would I develop a 60 Hz sine wave with 2% distortion with 1/2% resistors and 2% caps, more or less?

That's pretty narrow. Maybe 5% harmonic distortion is OK. I'm not that familiar with distortion on load devices.

Last edited:
How about just using a DAC and filtering around 60Hz?

I wonder how something like this would go?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/60%20Hz%20sinewave.PNG

The ICL 8038 function generator chip is apparently still available. It gives simultaneous sine, triangle and square waves out and can be controlled by a DC voltage. It has a linear frequency vs DC current relationship.

So, you could compare the square wave with an incoming square wave in a phase comparator and use the difference to control the 8038 oscillation frequency. The square wave out requires a pullup resistor.

Then take the sinewave out on the same frequency. Output is about 200 mV at 1 K output impedance. There are controls available to optimise distortion.

The application sheets describe something quite similar to the above.

Last edited by a moderator:
All good ideas.

Since posting originally, I came up with a microcontroller idea. To my suprize, you can sync the uC clock of some of the motorola family of processors to an external source like ~30KHz. I've got to double check this information. I hope this is true, without locking onto a close-by match between the processor oscillator and the incoming freq.

If so, I'll drive an interrupt input with the 30KHz signal as well. The controller clock has to lock faithfully or I end up with aliasing due to variable delay from the time the 30Khz edge is presented to the interrupt and the time it's noticed. Then I'll use one of the pulse width modulation (PWM) outputs driven by a look-up table with 500 values and filter it with an RC filter to get 60 Hz with a known amplitude good to maybe 2-2.5%. The PWM is less hardware than using an external DAC which would work, as well.

Last edited:
Thanks, berkemen. I've bookmarked it just in case. The site may also be a good source of other circuit blocks too. I'm all for plagiarism and adapting where I can get it. Why reinvent the wheel? In my own recent searching of the internet I haven't found many good circuit-block sites.

1. What is a High-Precision 60 Hz Sine Wave Generator?

A High-Precision 60 Hz Sine Wave Generator is an electronic device that produces a stable and accurate sine wave signal with a frequency of 60 Hz. This type of generator is commonly used in testing and calibrating circuit elements, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors.

2. How does a High-Precision 60 Hz Sine Wave Generator work?

A High-Precision 60 Hz Sine Wave Generator works by using an oscillator circuit to generate a stable sine wave signal at 60 Hz. The generator also has a control circuit that allows for fine-tuning of the output frequency and amplitude, ensuring high precision and accuracy.

3. What are the applications of a High-Precision 60 Hz Sine Wave Generator?

A High-Precision 60 Hz Sine Wave Generator has a wide range of applications, including testing and calibrating circuit elements, audio equipment, power supplies, and frequency-dependent devices. It is also commonly used in research and development, as well as in educational settings.

4. How accurate is a High-Precision 60 Hz Sine Wave Generator?

A High-Precision 60 Hz Sine Wave Generator is designed to have a high level of accuracy, typically within 0.01% of the desired frequency. This means that the output frequency will be very close to 60 Hz, with minimal deviation.

5. Can a High-Precision 60 Hz Sine Wave Generator be used for other frequencies?

While a High-Precision 60 Hz Sine Wave Generator is specifically designed for 60 Hz, it can also be used to generate other frequencies by adjusting the control circuit. However, for optimal accuracy and stability, it is recommended to use the generator at its designated frequency of 60 Hz.