Exploring the Debate: Flat vs Finite Universe and its Feasibility

In summary, a flat, finite universe is possible, but observational evidence suggests it is not actualy occurring.
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What exactly is the problem with a flat, finite universe?

I've often heard it quoted that a flat universe must be infinite... but it's easy enough to design space-times that are perfectly flat yet are bounded. For example, S^1*S^1*S^1. What additional information is used to suggest a flat, finite universe is not feasible?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
No your correct a flat finite universe is perfectly feasible in the shape of a torus. It's just observational evidence for a torus shape universe is non-existant (that's not to say tere's evidence against it).

But is a torus the only possible shape?

Your stretching my knowledge of cosmological models, but it's the only one I've heard tht meets observational evidence but is bounded and finite.

bounded? I meant unbounded.

Originally posted by jcsd
No your correct a flat finite universe is perfectly feasible in the shape of a torus. It's just observational evidence for a torus shape universe is non-existant (that's not to say there's evidence against it).

this came up earlier at PF---astronomy forum I think.
someone posted a link to a paper by some folks who
were looking for evidence (I think it was repeated galaxies
but my memory is not clear about this) of some finite flat shape.

I wonder how careful one should be? Maybe one should only
say "spatially flat" and never mention infinite extent as probable consequence. I've noticed one cosmologist Michael Turner being careful about this---but others, like Ned Wright IIRC, being
unrigorous about it and talking as if flat implied infinite.
(my sympathies are with the unrigorous but I will pull the socks
up on this if you all think it best)

The reason I bring it up is that when I've read up on big bang theory, it is terribly "obvious" to me that it is describing a finite expanding universe... so obvious that I once read something on the horizon problem and thought that it actually said the above! (I just recently found it again and discovered it was claiming an infinite universe, which prompted this post)

Originally posted by Hurkyl
The reason I bring it up is that when I've read up on big bang theory, it is terribly "obvious" to me that it is describing a finite expanding universe... so obvious that I once read something on the horizon problem and thought that it actually said the above! (I just recently found it again and discovered it was claiming an infinite universe, which prompted this post)

delicate issue
the main thing is that the classical singularity
is thought of as having spatial extent
(it is not a point)

if space has a toroidal topology
(a cube where when the little guy goes out the top
he reappears at the bottom, and when he goes offstage
on the right he reappears coming in at stage left, and
front and back)
then I guess, tell me if I'm making an unjustified leap)
that the topology was probably like that at the time of
the classical singularity.

Do I really suffer any downside if I go on thinking of
the classical singularity as infinite in extent?

I'm ready to consider informed advice on this. Maybe
there is some way the singularity could be finite!

But so far it seems simplest if I assume it infinite in extent.

My experience with what I've read agrees with yours. The
authors tend to assume space is flat and infinite. I instinctively
go along with the crowd---but am not quite sure why.

So if the classical singularity is resolved it would (by this assumption) be across a spatially extended front.
the resolution would not be localized to a point.
divergence would be controlled throughout an extended 3D volume [?] which could however have a compact topology
along the lines you suggested

Hurkyl, as I recall, Eh posted this same question on the old PFs. It was side-tracked, but one of the points that was brought up was this:

If the Universe is flat and infinite, then there could be many (possibly infinite) "little" Universes popping up all over the place; while, if the Universe altogether is finite, and expanded from a smaller point, then it would take on a spherical shape.

I don't know how consistent this is with current cosmological models (which discard the idea of expanding from one point, for the idea of all parts of spacetime expanding), but it's all I can remember from the thread (I'll have to look it up again on my trusty Archive C.D. :smile: (that is, as soon as I get my home computer working again ).

1. What is the difference between a flat and a finite universe?

A flat universe refers to the geometry of the universe, which is determined by the amount of matter and energy in it. A flat universe has a constant curvature and infinite space, meaning it will continue to expand forever. A finite universe, on the other hand, has a limited size and a curved geometry, which can either be positively or negatively curved.

2. How do scientists determine if the universe is flat or finite?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine the geometry of the universe, including measuring the cosmic microwave background radiation, the distribution of galaxies, and the rate of expansion of the universe. These observations and measurements can help determine the amount of matter and energy in the universe, which in turn can reveal its geometry.

3. Can a flat universe be infinite in size?

Yes, a flat universe can have infinite size. This is because the geometry of a flat universe does not have any boundaries or edges, allowing it to expand indefinitely. However, it is important to note that the observable universe is limited in size, even if the entire universe is infinite.

4. What are the implications of living in a flat or finite universe?

The implications of living in a flat or finite universe are still not fully understood. However, some theories suggest that a flat universe would continue to expand forever, leading to a "heat death" where all matter and energy are spread out and unable to sustain life. In a finite universe, there may be a limit to the amount of matter and energy, leading to a potential collapse or "big crunch" in the future.

5. Is there a scientific consensus on whether the universe is flat or finite?

There is currently no scientific consensus on the geometry of the universe. The most widely accepted theory is that the universe is flat, based on observations and measurements from various sources. However, some theories suggest that the universe may have a slightly positively curved geometry, while others propose a finite universe with a negative curvature. Further research and observations are needed to fully understand the true nature of our universe.