Prove Reciprocal Cubic Lattice of Cubic Lattice is Also Cubic

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that the reciprocal lattice of a cubic lattice is also cubic. This is shown using the dot product of the reciprocal lattice vectors and the identity (\vec{a}\times \vec{b})\cdot(\vec{c} \times \vec{d}) = (\vec{a}\cdot \vec{c})(\vec{b}\cdot \vec{d}) - (\vec{a}\cdot \vec{d})(\vec{b}\cdot \vec{c}). The angle relations between the reciprocal lattice vectors are derived using trigonometry and the dot product, resulting in the expressions cos\alpha*=\frac{cos\beta cos\gamma-cos\alpha}{sin\
Petar Mali

Homework Statement

Show that the reciprocal cubic of cubic lattice is also cubic.

Homework Equations

[tex]cos\alpha*=\frac{cos\beta cos\gamma-cos\alpha}{sin\beta sin\gamma}[/tex]

[tex]cos\beta*=\frac{cos\alpha cos\gamma-cos\beta}{sin\alpha sin\gamma}[/tex]

[tex]cos\gamma*=\frac{cos\alpha cos\beta-cos\gamma}{sin\alpha sin\beta}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{a*}=\frac{\vec{b}\times\vec{c}}{V}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{b*}=\frac{\vec{c}\times\vec{a}}{V}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{c*}=\frac{\vec{a}\times\vec{b}}{V}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If I use this formula I will show that [tex]\alpha*=\beta*=\gamma*=90^{\circ}[/tex]

and [tex]a*=b*=c*=\frac{1}{a}[/tex]

and so reciprocal lattice of cubic lattice is cubic. Q.E.D.

But I don't know from where I get this angle relations

[tex]cos\alpha*=\frac{cos\beta cos\gamma-cos\alpha}{sin\beta sin\gamma}[/tex]

[tex]cos\beta*=\frac{cos\alpha cos\gamma-cos\beta}{sin\alpha sin\gamma}[/tex]

[tex]cos\gamma*=\frac{cos\alpha cos\beta-cos\gamma}{sin\alpha sin\beta}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Just take the dot products between the reciprocal lattice vectors. If they are 0, then you know the angle between them must be 90 degrees. And they will come out to be 0 if you do the math right.

nickjer said:
Just take the dot products between the reciprocal lattice vectors. If they are 0, then you know the angle between them must be 90 degrees. And they will come out to be 0 if you do the math right.

Did you read my question?

Do you know from where I can get this expression for angles?

I'm not sure how do you mean to get zero if this is for example some loxogonal system in reciprocal lattice?

This way is I think unique. Because of that I'm interesting in this angle relations.

If you want to solve for those expressions, then you would do it the same way as I just described. Take the dot products of the reciprocal lattice vectors, then wade through all the trigonometry until you get the final solution. It will get messy, but you can get the same expressions.

Your first equation is wrong. Use the identity:

[tex](\vec{a}\times \vec{b})\cdot(\vec{c} \times \vec{d}) = (\vec{a}\cdot \vec{c})(\vec{b}\cdot \vec{d}) - (\vec{a}\cdot \vec{d})(\vec{b}\cdot \vec{c})[/tex]

Also, set the angles between your a and b to alpha, b and c to beta, and a & c to gamma. That way things won't get too confusing.

You will get the exact same identity I gave you using the vector identity you just listed, but you will have to go through more work since yours isn't fully expanded.

nickjer said:
You will get the exact same identity I gave you using the vector identity you just listed, but you will have to go through more work since yours isn't fully expanded.

[tex]\vec{a^*}\cdot{\vec{b^*}=\frac{1}{V^2}[(\vec{b}\times\vec{c})\cdot(\vec{c}\times\vec{a})]=\frac{1}{V^2}[(\vec{b}\cdot \vec{c})(\vec{c}\cdot\vec{a})-(\vec{b}\cdot \vec{a})(\vec{c}\cdot\vec{c})]=\frac{1}{V^2}[bccos\alpha accos\beta-abcos\gamma c^2][/tex]

[tex]a^*b^*cos\gamma^*=\frac{abc^2}{V^2}(cos\alpha cos\beta-cos\gamma)[/tex]

[tex]cos\gamma^*=\frac{abc^2}{a^*b^*V^2}(cos\alpha cos\beta-cos\gamma)[/tex]

I use different because I want to get solutions in same form. So angle between the a and b is gamma.

I'm pretty tired. I don't see how to get [tex]\frac{abc^2}{a^*b^*V^2}=\frac{1}{sin\beta sin\alpha}[/tex]

|a*| = |a x b|/V = a b sin(alpha)/V

Was too lazy to put it in tex, but you get the point.

Of course! :)

[tex]
\vec{a*}=\frac{\vec{b}\times\vec{c}}{V}
[/tex]

[tex]
\vec{b*}=\frac{\vec{c}\times\vec{a}}{V}
[/tex]

From that

[tex]a^*=\frac{|\vec{b}\times\vec{c}|}{V}=\frac{bcsin\alpha}{V}
[/tex]

[tex]
b*=\frac{|\vec{c}\times\vec{a}|}{V}=\frac{acsin\beta}{V}
[/tex]

[tex]
cos\gamma^*=\frac{abc^2}{a^*b^*V^2}(cos\alpha cos\beta-cos\gamma)
[/tex]

[tex]
cos\gamma^*=\frac{abc^2}{\frac{bcsin\alpha}{V}\frac{acsin\beta}{V} V^2}(cos\alpha cos\beta-cos\gamma)
[/tex]

[tex]
cos\gamma*=\frac{cos\alpha cos\beta-cos\gamma}{sin\alpha sin\beta}
[/tex]

Thanks!

1. What is a reciprocal cubic lattice?

A reciprocal cubic lattice is a mathematical representation of the reciprocal space of a cubic crystal lattice. It is a three-dimensional grid that describes the arrangement of points in space that correspond to the diffraction pattern produced by the crystal.

2. How is the reciprocal cubic lattice related to the cubic lattice?

The reciprocal cubic lattice is directly related to the cubic lattice through a mathematical transformation known as a Fourier transform. This transformation allows us to describe the structure of a crystal in terms of its reciprocal lattice, which provides information about the spacing and orientation of the atoms within the crystal.

3. Why is it important to prove that the reciprocal cubic lattice is also cubic?

Proving that the reciprocal cubic lattice is also cubic is important because it provides a deeper understanding of the symmetry and structure of cubic crystals. It also helps to validate the use of the reciprocal lattice in crystallography, which is a vital tool in the study of materials science and engineering.

4. What evidence supports the claim that the reciprocal cubic lattice is also cubic?

There are several lines of evidence that support the claim that the reciprocal cubic lattice is also cubic. This includes experimental data from diffraction studies, theoretical calculations using group theory, and mathematical proofs based on the definition of a cubic lattice and its reciprocal.

5. Are there any exceptions to the reciprocity principle for cubic lattices?

No, there are no exceptions to the reciprocity principle for cubic lattices. This principle states that the reciprocal lattice of a crystal is always the same shape as the crystal lattice itself. Therefore, for a cubic lattice, the reciprocal lattice must also be cubic.