Rational numbers and periodic decimal expansions

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof for the theorem that a number is rational if and only if it has a periodic decimal expansion. The (<=) direction is easily proven with Calculus, but the (=>) direction has a complicated proof. The conversation also mentions a new proof that every number with a periodic decimal expansion can be expressed as a rational number with a specific denominator. It is mentioned that this proof has been shown before and it is well known that any infinite decimal which is eventually periodic is a rational number.
anb
A long time ago I took a number theory course and really enjoyed it. At one point we were shown the proof for the theorem that a number is rational if and only if it has a periodic decimal expansion. The (<=) direction is really easy if you know some Calculus, but I remember the (=>) direction having some complicated proof that I never really understood. We were never examined on it so it wasn't a big deal.

Anyways, I thought of another proof that I'm pretty sure is rigorous and more than anything I want to know if anyone has thought of it before - as far as I can tell from searching on the internet it hasn't. I'm not looking for some million dollar prize or something, as the proof isn't exactly novel, but basically it involves proving that every number with a periodic decimal expansion (not *eventually* periodic, but periodic all the way like 0.abcdefabcdef..., etc.) can be expressed as a rational number with denominator equal to 9[tex]\sum[/tex](10^n) (where the series is going from n=0 to some natural number N - sorry I don't know much about using Latex to make pretty math symbols work). In less formal terms, a number with a periodic decimal expansion can always be expressed as some rational number A/999...9 (for "N+1" number of nines in the denominator). If this seems confusing to anyone who knows a lot about number theory I could post a full proof and ask if they've seen it before, but if people have already seen it before then I'd like to know that too.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it has been shown before that decimal numbers with a periodic decimal expanions rational as you have proven again. Not only that, but it is well known that any infinite decimal which is eventually periodic is a rational number. Say a decimal expansion of X goes m decimal places after the decimal point before it cycles then the number 10^m * X has the rational expression A/999...9 (for "N+1" number of nines as you say). So the number itself has the rational expression A/(999...9000...) for "N+1" number of nines and m zeros. Neat huh.

Last edited:

1. What are rational numbers?

Rational numbers are numbers that can be represented as a ratio of two integers. They can be written in the form a/b, where a and b are integers and b is not equal to 0.

2. What is a periodic decimal expansion?

A periodic decimal expansion is a decimal representation of a rational number where one or more digits repeat endlessly after a certain point. For example, 1/3 can be represented as 0.33333... with the 3 repeating infinitely.

3. How can I convert a rational number into a periodic decimal expansion?

To convert a rational number into a periodic decimal expansion, divide the numerator by the denominator using long division. If there is a remainder, multiply it by 10 and continue dividing until you get a repeating pattern.

4. Can all rational numbers be written as a periodic decimal expansion?

Yes, all rational numbers can be written as a periodic decimal expansion. This is because a rational number is defined as a ratio of two integers, and any ratio can be expressed as a decimal with repeating digits.

5. How are rational numbers and irrational numbers different?

Rational numbers can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, while irrational numbers cannot. Irrational numbers have decimal expansions that do not repeat or terminate, whereas rational numbers have decimal expansions that either terminate or repeat periodically.