Vector subspace F is closed in E

In summary, a vector subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the properties of a vector space, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication. When a vector subspace is closed in a vector space, it means that any operation performed within the subspace will result in a vector that is also in the subspace. Closure is an essential property of a vector subspace as it ensures consistency and predictability in calculations. It is also related to the other properties of a vector subspace, as it is a necessary condition for them to hold. However, a vector subspace can be closed in one vector space but not in another, as the closure property depends on the operations defined in the vector space.
Demon117
Let E be the vector space of bounded functions f:N --> R, with the norm(g) = sup|f|. Assume without proof that the norm holds, so that the function d(f,g)=norm(f - g) is a metric.

Prove that the vector subspace F={f in F | f(n) -->0 as n --> infinity} is closed in E.

Here is what I have come up with:

Consider the sequence (f_k) in F, such that f_k --> f. It must be shown that f is in F also.

For such (f_k) in F, it follows that (f_k)(n) -->0 as n --> infinity. Since f_k --> f (by a problem done earlier), it follows that f(n) -->0 as n --> infinity. Since the latter holds, by definition of F it follows that f is contained within. Hence F is closed in E.

This doesn't look right at all. I just wondered what kinds of advice anyone has.

Physics news on Phys.org
matumich26 said:
Let E be the vector space of bounded functions f:N --> R, with the norm(g) = sup|f|. Assume without proof that the norm holds, so that the function d(f,g)=norm(f - g) is a metric.

Prove that the vector subspace F={f in F | f(n) -->0 as n --> infinity} is closed in E.
Are you sure you wrote this correctly? It would make more sense to me to say {f in E | f(n) --> 0 as n --> infinity}
matumich26 said:
Here is what I have come up with:

Consider the sequence (f_k) in F, such that f_k --> f. It must be shown that f is in F also.

For such (f_k) in F, it follows that (f_k)(n) -->0 as n --> infinity. Since f_k --> f (by a problem done earlier), it follows that f(n) -->0 as n --> infinity. Since the latter holds, by definition of F it follows that f is contained within. Hence F is closed in E.

This doesn't look right at all. I just wondered what kinds of advice anyone has.

Consider two elements of F, f1 and f2, and a scalar c.
1) Show that f1 + f2 is in F. This shows that F is closed under addition.
2) Show that cf1 is in F. This shows that F is closed under scalar multiplication.

Mark44 said:
Are you sure you wrote this correctly? It would make more sense to me to say {f in E | f(n) --> 0 as n --> infinity}

Consider two elements of F, f1 and f2, and a scalar c.
1) Show that f1 + f2 is in F. This shows that F is closed under addition.
2) Show that cf1 is in F. This shows that F is closed under scalar multiplication.

Wow I had a few typos. Thanks for clarifying that. I am not sure that this is the idea behind the proof. I need to get some added direction on this one.

What I laid out in post #2 is the standard way of showing that a subset U of a vector space V is in fact a subspace of V. When you say that a subset (F) of a vector space (E) is closed in E, you are saying that the subset is closed under vector addition and closed under scalar multiplication.

Mark44 said:
What I laid out in post #2 is the standard way of showing that a subset U of a vector space V is in fact a subspace of V. When you say that a subset (F) of a vector space (E) is closed in E, you are saying that the subset is closed under vector addition and closed under scalar multiplication.

Judging by the attempt at a proof, I really think they mean 'closed' here to mean a closed set in the sup norm topology. You want to show if lim as k->infinity |fk-f|=0 and fk are in F then f is in F. I would think about throwing some epsilons around.

Last edited:
Sounds reasonable to me. The bit about vector space threw me off so that I wasn't thinking about "closed" in terms of accumulation points and such.

1. What is a vector subspace?

A vector subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the properties of a vector space, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication.

2. What does it mean for a vector subspace to be closed in E?

When a vector subspace F is closed in E, it means that any vector in F that undergoes an operation (such as addition or scalar multiplication) with another vector in F will result in a vector that is also in F.

3. Why is it important for a vector subspace to be closed?

Closure is an essential property of a vector subspace because it ensures that the operations performed within the subspace will always stay within the subspace. This allows for consistency and predictability in mathematical calculations.

4. How is closure related to the other properties of a vector subspace?

Closure is related to the other properties of a vector subspace because it is a necessary condition for the other properties to hold. For example, if a vector subspace is not closed, it cannot be a vector space because it would violate the closure property.

5. Can a vector subspace be closed in one vector space but not in another?

Yes, a vector subspace can be closed in one vector space but not in another. This is because the closure property depends on the operations defined in the vector space. If the operations in one vector space differ from those in another, the closure of a subspace may also differ between the two vector spaces.