History Channel, great review Joking

In summary: I don't even want to think about it.In summary, the History Channel has been invaded by "WTH?!" shows and their history shows are becoming less credible.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
History Channel, great review "Joking!"

This article at cracked dot com is really spot on and funny to boot. I did find one bad word on the page, so don't read that word. The entire article is worth reading. I especially love their table at the beginning. It made me *snork*. :tongue2:

But perhaps the most disturbing development on the History Channel is that even their history shows are being invaded by ample amounts of "WTH?!". In April they debuted "America: The Story of Us," a miniseries that uses live actors and CGI to recreate everything from starving Jamestown settlers to Henry Ford overseeing his factory.

The odd thing about this show is that the usual tweed-jacket professors have been replaced by a random selection of famous people with no history credentials whatsoever. So, if you've ever wanted to hear Melissa Etheridge's opinions on Westward expansion, or fashion guru Tim Gunn's take on the industrial revolution, you're in for a treat! You'll even get a rare opportunity to hear Sean Hannity talk about how much he loves America.

In producing this star-studded patriotic tribute, the History Channel did hit upon one idea that is uniquely American: the assumption that fame is an acceptable substitute for expertise.

http://www.cracked.com/funny-5720-the-history-channel/

Science news on Phys.org

Hahahahaha:

summary_image.jpg

Ah, so true... That said, I tend to enjoy nostradamus and other crackpottery :biggrin:

In producing this star-studded patriotic tribute, the History Channel did hit upon one idea that is uniquely American: the assumption that fame is an acceptable substitute for expertise.
Their contribution to the decline of civilization.

Who here actually watches The History Channel?

There is very little "history" on the History Channel. Once in a while, Pawn Stars gets a detail right, but most of the time, the producers simply blow each opportunity they get. They have the actors say the stupidest things... It really galls me that they say things like "This gun will be worth a lot more money if it actually fires" because that is patently false. Collectors don't want old firearms that have been tinkered or played with - they want old firearms in as-found attic condition. Period.

The only time I have ever shot any Henry rifle or model 66 Winchester is when a customer had some provenance that made them think that the gun might have been used at the Little Big Horn (there are lots of excavated cartridges from there). Even then, I'd pull the slug, pack the casing with heavy paper, and fire the shell as a blank, just to get a good firing pin impression and extractor marks. Then I'd ship the casing out to a fellow who specializes in cartridge forensics and has a large collection of casing molds for comparison. BTW, don't expect to get many of those .44 Henry rimfire cartridges unless you have deep pockets.

Ivan Seeking said:
I do when the weather is horrible or I'm feeling poorly and there's not much else to do. I spent years in the antique business, so once in a while there is a pawn/picker/auction show that might interest me. Other than that, nope! There is very little on Dish 100 that is worth watching, IMO.

Ivan Seeking said:
I watch it frequently. You can't beat the antics of young Chumley, The Old Man, and Rick on Pawnstars. It's The Three Stooges: The Next Generation.

American Pickers is a kind of upbeat version of Hoarders (on a different channel), you'd do well to watch them alternately for a broader perspective on this phenomenon, and Modern Marvels is often just plain interesting.

zoobyshoe said:
I watch it frequently. You can't beat the antics of young Chumley, The Old Man, and Rick on Pawnstars. It's The Three Stooges: The Next Generation.
I love them, I want their bobble head collection.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003P44APY/?tag=pfamazon01-20

American Pickers is a kind of upbeat version of Hoarders (on a different channel), you'd do well to watch them alternately for a broader perspective on this phenomenon, and Modern Marvels is often just plain interesting.
I enjoy those too.

Last edited by a moderator:

I happened to watch History Channel when, while channel surfing, I found a program on the largest extinction in history. I was a program about the Siberian Trapps. I didn't care for the computer generated graphics, but the information was interesting, as were the interviews with actual scientists.

Otherwise I don't watch it, especially since Evo rated it so poorly.

Astronuc said:
I happened to watch History Channel when, while channel surfing, I found a program on the largest extinction in history. I was a program about the Siberian Trapps. I didn't care for the computer generated graphics, but the information was interesting, as were the interviews with actual scientists.

Otherwise I don't watch it, especially since Evo rated it so poorly.
Don't ever watch Armaggedon week. :eek: I find the Nat Geo channel much better at history. History Channel is more reality tv entertainment, sans bored housewives, Bridezillas & bimbos.

Evo said:
I love them, I want their bobble head collection.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003P44APY/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Buy a set, bring it into their shop, and try to pawn it.

Last edited by a moderator:

zoobyshoe said:
buy a set, bring it into their shop, and try to pawn it.
lol!

Let's meet up in Vegas and visit the Pawn Stars shop zoob!

The one that gets me the most is Nostradamus. I heard this one on the History Channel last night.

In the month of wonderful events, give or take a few decades,
scientists will discuss fine points across the continents
Never meeting the people they converse with
calling each other crackpot and asking for citations, please.
Or LOL at the ones with no sense of humor
and threaten them with the volcano.
The fish will greet them as they arrive
and the Supreme Lard will ban them
before long.

As always, you can read anything into it that you want.

Jimmy Snyder said:
The one that gets me the most is Nostradamus. I heard this one on the History Channel last night.

In the month of wonderful events, give or take a few decades,
scientists will discuss fine points across the continents
Never meeting the people they converse with
calling each other crackpot and asking for citations, please.
Or LOL at the ones with no sense of humor
and threaten them with the volcano.
The fish will greet them as they arrive
and the Supreme Lard will ban them
before long.

As always, you can read anything into it that you want.
:!) I'm saving this.

Evo said:
lol!

Let's meet up in Vegas and visit the Pawn Stars shop zoob!
There's just ever so many things in their shop to have accidents with! Might be their best episode ever!

zoobyshoe said:
There's just ever so many things in their shop to have accidents with! Might be their best episode ever!
Are you channeling Judy Garland, Zoob?

turbo-1 said:
Are you channeling Judy Garland, Zoob?
All the time. Why?

zoobyshoe said:
All the time. Why?
Just keeping my speaker-volumes down in case you break into "Somewhere over the Rainbow"

I miss what the History Channel used to be. The historical documentaries were interesting and full of information. Now its just full of reality shows that are not much historical. Why must it be about reality shows rather than educational content? :(

Ivan92 said:
I miss what the History Channel used to be. The historical documentaries were interesting and full of information. Now its just full of reality shows that are not much historical. Why must it be about reality shows rather than educational content? :(
Actually, before it was the anything but history channel, it was the World War II channel.

At least Nat Geo has kept up the quality over time. Planète also has some interesting things on sometimes.

Last edited:

Ivan Seeking said:

I LOVE Modern Marvels and I'm pretty sure How It's Made originated on the history channel. Whenever the History Channel isn't talking apocalypse, the paranormal, history (except WWII), or pawn stars, it's an awesome channel.

A while back, it became fashionably witty to refer to the History Channel as "the Hitler Channel," because going by its schedule, you'd think World War II accounted for about eighty percent of the human record.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The thing is, I wonder why the History Channel had to turn to the nonsense programming they have already? Modern Marvels CLEARLY shows that people will watch their channel to see an hour of programming dedicated solely to the history and production of grease. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?

Last edited:

Evo said:
I did find one bad word on the page, so don't read that word.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

And it just gets better.

seven signs of the apocalypse

The biblical signs of death and destruction leading to the battle of Armageddon are stuidied from a scientific viewpoint.

OY.. Tonight at 10pm EST 9pm Central.

Can't wait to see this.

Right now I'm watching
Apocalypse Island

following an explorer's journey to a Pacific Island to prove a theory regarding Mayan predictions regarding the apocalypse and the significance of 2012.

OMG.

Yep, you guessed it, it's Apocalypse weekend on the History Channel.

Evo said:
Yep, you guessed it, it's Apocalypse weekend on the History Channel.
@#%$!

This seems to be the way with most cable channels; they start out specialized and then slowly (d)evolve into something barely distinguishable from all the other crappy channels.

I used to love all of these; now I can barely tolerate any of them.
TLC
Discovery
A&E
History
TrueTV (Court TV)

I guess they have to appeal to the lowest common denominator for the sake of ratings.

This is too ridiculous to watch.

Changing the channel.

What is the History Channel?

The History Channel is a cable television network that primarily focuses on historical programming, including documentaries, reality shows, and historical fiction series.

Is the History Channel a reliable source of information?

While the History Channel may present information that is based on historical events, it should not be considered a completely reliable source. It is important to fact-check and verify information found on the History Channel before accepting it as true.

What types of shows can be found on the History Channel?

The History Channel offers a variety of programming, including documentaries, reality shows, and historical fiction series. Some popular shows include "Ancient Aliens," "The Curse of Oak Island," and "Vikings."

Why is the History Channel sometimes criticized?

The History Channel has faced criticism for its shift away from educational programming and towards more sensationalized and entertainment-focused content. Some also question the accuracy and credibility of certain shows on the network.

Can I watch the History Channel without a cable subscription?

Yes, the History Channel offers a streaming service called History Vault that allows viewers to watch some of their programming without a cable subscription. However, not all shows may be available on this platform.

Back