Police Tazer, Pepperspray, and Beat Mentally Challenged Teen

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teen
In summary: The cop, instead of asking him to repeat, or asking him to write down what he was saying, "apparently took Jesse's speech impediment for disrespect ... [and] began yelling at Jesse" and then called for backup.The implication is not something like Tourettes, but garbled speech. My best guess is that, when the cop addressed him, he... did not speak clearly. The cop, instead of asking him to repeat, or asking him to write down what he was saying, "apparently took Jesse's speech impediment for disrespect ... [and] began yelling at Jesse" and then called for backup.That certainly sounds possible, but I'm just really curious now. Is there any way
Jimmy Snyder said:
Did this incident actually take place? I can't find any news story about it.

See post #1 and post #5.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hurkyl said:
I can't fathom the point of this comment.
As I noted in a previous post the primary purpose of laws regulating the operation of a bicycle on the streets is for the safety of the cyclist. The primary purpose for speeding laws is the safety of everyone involved.

Can I imagine a scenario where a bicyclist not following traffic laws could cause major harm to others? Sure. I can also look up cycling accident statistics.
On a side note apparently in 2009 Ohio was in the top ten for highest cyclist fatalities.
http://www.bikingbis.com/blog/_archives/2011/2/14/4749974.html

Are you still harping on that? :confused: Tasing first was just a mistake on my part regarding rules of engagement. It's a hypothetical scenario, modify it -- put in some struggling before the taser was used, or even ignore the struggle all together. Your comments have made it sound like you would even condemn the cop simply for running down the kid. (unless I'm mixing you up with someone else)

And why should there be a physical struggle over a traffic violation? I believe in my first post I said that I understand chasing the kid but that there was no reason to take it further than that. If the kid gets away who cares? Again, its a matter of tactics in proportion to the initial event. If I wanted to I could imagine a chain of events that could theoretically justify an officer shooting and killing the kid but we need to ask ourselves (and the officers should have asked themselves) is this a justifiable end result starting with a kid stopped on his bicycle for a traffic violation?

As I noted in earlier posts there would have to be some particularly interesting information left out of the news articles to justify the officers' behavior.

TheStatutoryApe said:
If the kid gets away who cares?
Lots of people do.

Again, its a matter of tactics in proportion to the initial event. If I wanted to I could imagine a chain of events that could theoretically justify an officer shooting and killing the kid but we need to ask ourselves (and the officers should have asked themselves) is this a justifiable end result starting with a kid stopped on his bicycle for a traffic violation?
You're asking yourself the wrong question -- you're omitting a ton of relevant contextual information.

As I noted in earlier posts there would have to be some particularly interesting information left out of the news articles to justify the officers' behavior.
Agreed. But it's also clear the article is particularly lacking in interesting information. It's would be foolish to form anything but a superficial opinion from the information provided.

(Are you sure both articles refer to the same event? The names don't seem to match up)

Hurkyl said:
(Are you sure both articles refer to the same event? The names don't seem to match up)
Pamela Ford or Pamela Thompson? Yes, I see what you mean.

My guess is that she has switched between a married name and a maiden name, or, possibly between two separate married names. Speculation as to why: her current legal name might be different from the boy's last name. She may have reverted to calling herself by the boy's father's last name to just to clarify she's the mother. The other source might have specifically ferreted out her actual current legal name. That's a guess. I think too many elements of the two different reports are similar to suspect they are actually different incidents.

I found another news story that has some more details. The event occurred last year. The woman's name was Thompson at that time and is Ford now (the boy's name is Kersey). Here is an excerpt:
Daytona Daily News said:
Finding the front door locked, Kersey turned on Hooper, who had mounted the front porch to issue Kersey a bicycle citation, and began to struggle, according to the police report.

“Kersey started swinging his arms at Officer Hooper and yelling in an unintelligible language,” according to the police report.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/family-sues-city-over-sons-arrest-1198555.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimmy Snyder said:
I found another news story that has some more details. The event occurred last year. The woman's name was Thompson at that time and is Ford now (the boy's name is Kersey). Here is an excerpt:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/family-sues-city-over-sons-arrest-1198555.html"
Good work Jimmy Snyder. The police side of the story contains the important mitigating information that the kid started swinging first, and that he is a large kid:

According to the police incident report, Hooper first saw the boy, later identified as Kersey, riding his bike the wrong way down on Andrews Street.
When Kersey spotted the police cruiser, he started riding on the sidewalk.
When Hooper yelled for Kersey to stop, the boy took off up St. Paul Avenue, dumping his bike in front of his house.
Finding the front door locked, Kersey turned on Hooper, who had mounted the front porch to issue Kersey a bicycle citation, and began to struggle, according to the police report.
“Kersey started swinging his arms at Officer Hooper and yelling in an unintelligible language,” according to the police report.
An attempt to Tase the struggling boy, who was described as 6-foot-1 and 160 pounds, was unsuccessful.
Kersey’s mother opened the door and pulled her son in, at which point Hopper fired his Taser, hitting the 17-year-old in the back. The mother pulled out one of the probes, and Kersey fled through the house to the kitchen.
Hooper attempted to take control of Kersey, but had to fight off his mother and later a family friend. It turned into a donnybrook in the kitchen as Hopper and Officer Howard, who arrived as backup, struggled to subdue Kersey, while keeping the mother and family friend out of the fray.

Last edited by a moderator:
zoobyshoe said:
Good work Jimmy Snyder. The police side of the story contains the important mitigating information that the kid started swinging first, and that he is a large kid:
All of this over a kid riding his bicycle. God forbid the kid was vandalizing property, setting fire to pets, etc...

I'm sorry, this was a ridiculous misuse of police force, and just really bad judgement on the policeman's part. And I'm always able to find a reason to supprt the police, I just can't on this one.

zoobyshoe said:

1st: 6'1", 160 pounds is NOT a large kid. That's a scrawny kid.
2nd: The taser was used AFTER the kid was no longer swinging, and was in fact being pulled in by his mother. He was tasered in the back.
3rd: The officers continued to escalate the violence beyond where it was necessary. The kid didn't NEED to be restrained as he was fleeing. He just needed to be issued a citation.
4th: I have secondhand experience of police officers outright lying on police reports. It happened to family members of mine on more than one occasion. I have reason to doubt their story.

Evo said:
All of this over a kid riding his bicycle. God forbid the kid was vandalizing property, setting fire to pets, etc...

I'm sorry, this was a ridiculous misuse of police force, and just really bad judgement on the policeman's part. And I'm always able to find a reason to supprt the police, I just can't on this one.

Jack21222 said:
1st: 6'1", 160 pounds is NOT a large kid. That's a scrawny kid.
2nd: The taser was used AFTER the kid was no longer swinging, and was in fact being pulled in by his mother. He was tasered in the back.
3rd: The officers continued to escalate the violence beyond where it was necessary. The kid didn't NEED to be restrained as he was fleeing. He just needed to be issued a citation.
4th: I have secondhand experience of police officers outright lying on police reports. It happened to family members of mine on more than one occasion. I have reason to doubt their story.
All I said was "mitigating". Not "exonerating". I can see where the kid's behavior would cause the cop to jump to a whole other level of alert.

Hurkyl said:
Lots of people do.
Why? Officers let people go on minor violations all the time. Criminals get away all the time. What's so important about a kid on a bike getting a traffic ticket?

You're asking yourself the wrong question -- you're omitting a ton of relevant contextual information.
No I am not. The only mitigating factor should be whether or not the officers or anyone else was in immediate threat of harm. It is also important whether such a situation is created by the officers actions. According to the article found by Jimmy it appears that they cornered him and he lashed out. They could have backed off and deescalated the situation. They certainly needed to back up and get room to use a tazer which was apparently fired into his back after his mom had opened the door and the kid was retreating inside.

Agreed. But it's also clear the article is particularly lacking in interesting information. It's would be foolish to form anything but a superficial opinion from the information provided.
The bare facts are still the bare facts. Unless the officers were seriously in danger that they could not extricate themselves from, a possibility but not one that seems supported by any of the stories, then there was no reason to escalate the situation to the degree that has been reported.

I work as security. I have worked with former law enforcement officers and soon to be law enforcement officers. In a stressful and potentially violent situation there is usually a point where one must decide whether the situation warrants pushing further or backing off. In such a situation it is always useful to ask yourself "what did this start over?" and "Do I really NEED to escalate this further?". Just tonight at the bar I had some guy starting **** with his girlfriend who happens to be a friend of mine. The guy got violent with me and theoretically I could have retaliated physically. But I kept my head and realized that that would have only escalated things. I shrugged off his attack on me and no further violence happened. A peace officer should have at least as much presence of mind as I had as an intoxicated civilian.

TheStatutoryApe said:
No I am not. The only mitigating factor should be whether or not the officers or anyone else was in immediate threat of harm.
You contradict yourself. You say that you are not omitting any relevant contextual information, and then you claim that some omitted contextual information is actually relevant. :tongue:

It is also important whether such a situation is created by the officers actions.
And yet more relevant contextual information. :tongue:

According to the article found by Jimmy it appears that they cornered him and he lashed out. They could have backed off and deescalated the situation. They certainly needed to back up and get room to use a tazer which was apparently fired into his back after his mom had opened the door and the kid was retreating inside.
Since this (seems to be made) in reply to my challenge to your comment that we should be asking "is this a justifiable end result starting with a kid stopped on his bicycle for a traffic violation?", I'll reply to this.

Whether or not they were justified in cornering him, at this point it is clearly no longer an incident over a traffic violation, or even an incident over fleeing from the police, but an incident over an assault on a police officer.

It is clearly relevant to ask the question of whether or not the cops should have pursued. It is clearly relevant to ask the question of whether the cops handled an assault on their person reasonably.

But I honestly cannot see what line of thought has led you to think that nothing in-between the traffic violation and the use of the taser is relevant to the question of whether the tasing was justified.

The bare facts are still the bare facts.
Sure, but someone forming an opinion based on the article in post #1 clearly does not have the bare facts.