Linear Dependence of f and g on 1<x<∞

In summary, the question is asking to determine whether the functions y1=|x| and y2=-3x are linearly independent or linearly dependent on the interval 1<x<∞, and to give a reason for the answer. The attempted solution involves using the Wronskian, W(f,g)=fg'-f'g, and setting f=y1 and g=y2, and calculating the Wronskian to be -3|x|+3x, which is equal to zero when x is positive. However, this does not necessarily prove that the functions are linearly dependent, as there are exceptions to this rule. It is suggested to instead check if y1(x) = a*y2(x
Pagless

Homework Statement

Determine if the pair of functions given are linearly independent or linearly dependent on the interval 1<x<∞, and give a reason for your answer.
y1=|x| y2=-3x

Homework Equations

I'm pretty sure this has something to do with the Wronskian.
W(f,g)=fg'-f'g

The Attempt at a Solution

f=y1, g=y2
f'=1, g'=-3
I can assume that the derivative of the abs. value of x is just 1, because the question says that x is greater than 1, right?
So then W(f,g)=-3|x|+3x
can i assume x is positive again, so therefore the Wronskian is equal to zero? Would this then make my solution linearly independent?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but it seems to me that all you have to do is see whether they are linear combinations of each other. does y1(x) = a*y2(x) for all x in the domain, for some constant a?

Technically just showing that the Wronskian is zero doesn't tell you the functions are linearly dependent. There are exceptions to that. Follow the suggestion 80past2 gave.

1. What is the definition of linear dependence?

Linear dependence refers to the relationship between two or more functions where one function can be written as a linear combination of the others. In other words, one function can be expressed as a constant multiple of another function.

2. How can we determine if two functions are linearly dependent on each other?

To determine if two functions, f(x) and g(x), are linearly dependent on each other, we can use the Wronskian test. The Wronskian of f(x) and g(x) is a mathematical tool that can be used to check if the functions are linearly dependent or independent. If the Wronskian is equal to zero, then the functions are linearly dependent.

3. What is the importance of understanding linear dependence of functions?

Understanding linear dependence of functions is important in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to analyze the relationship between different variables and make predictions based on this relationship. It also helps us solve systems of equations and determine the behavior of functions.

4. Can two functions be linearly dependent on each other for all values of x?

No, two functions cannot be linearly dependent for all values of x. They can only be linearly dependent on a specific interval or domain. For example, the functions f(x) = 2x and g(x) = 4x are linearly dependent on the interval (0,∞), but not on the interval (-∞,0).

5. How does linear dependence of functions relate to linear independence?

Linear dependence and linear independence are opposite concepts. If two functions are linearly dependent, then they are not linearly independent. However, if two functions are linearly independent, then they are not linearly dependent. In other words, linear independence means that the functions are not related to each other by a linear combination.