Are These Linear Algebra Statements True or False?

• Thread starter ammar555
  • Start date
In summary: Good luck!In summary, the conversation discusses the false statements that two subsets of a vector space V that span the same subspace of V are equal, and that the union of any 2 subspaces of a vector space V is a subspace of V. The expert explains that these statements are in fact false and provides examples to illustrate this. They also suggest further reading and studying on linear algebra to gain a better understanding of vector spaces.
ammar555
I have these questions on my studyguide and I know both of them are false. I just don't have a good counterexample or a good explaintion to prove so.

1) two subsets of a vector space V that span the same subspace of V are equal.

False: They don't have to be equal

2) The union of any 2 subspaces of a vector space V is a subspace of V.

False: Adding two subspaces doesn't necessary mean they will stay inside the vector space

Physics news on Phys.org
1) +1 and -1 in R
2) x and y axes in R^2. Addition and set union of two vector subspaces are not equal notions, though.

Alesak said:
1) +1 and -1 in R
2) x and y axes in R^2. Addition and set union of two vector subspaces are not equal notions, though.

Please I need a little more explaintions, I don't fully understand your examples. And does that mean my answer to number 2 is wrong?

Thanks though!

1) real line R is a vector space, and it is generated by both +1 and -1. So these two one-element subsets {1} and {-1} generate R yet are different.

2) it's correct, just unclear. Consider, for example, subspaces of R^2 that coincide with usual x and y axes. Vector (1, 0) is on x axis, vector (0, 1) on y axis, but if you add them they lie out of both subspaces.

So set theoretic union of two vector subspaces doesn't have to be vector subspace. Perhaps you can try to work out operation that makes some kind of "union" of two vector subspaces again a subspace.

You can surely find more information about vector spaces on wikipedia or in your textbook.

Alesak said:
1) real line R is a vector space, and it is generated by both +1 and -1. So these two one-element subsets {1} and {-1} generate R yet are different.

2) it's correct, just unclear. Consider, for example, subspaces of R^2 that coincide with usual x and y axes. Vector (1, 0) is on x axis, vector (0, 1) on y axis, but if you add them they lie out of both subspaces.

So set theoretic union of two vector subspaces doesn't have to be vector subspace. Perhaps you can try to work out operation that makes some kind of "union" of two vector subspaces again a subspace.

You can surely find more information about vector spaces on wikipedia or in your textbook.

Much better explanations precisely for number 1, I think I understand it now. Number 2 I'm still shady about it. Maybe if I read more about vectors, I can then understand it more clearly.

Thanks a million times!

ammar555 said:
Much better explanations precisely for number 1, I think I understand it now. Number 2 I'm still shady about it. Maybe if I read more about vectors, I can then understand it more clearly.

Thanks a million times!

Sure, get any good textbook on linear algebra, it will be crystal clear to you in no time.

1. What are "True or False Questions"?

"True or False Questions" are questions that require the respondent to choose between two alternative statements - true or false. They are commonly used in assessments and surveys to test knowledge or gather opinions.

2. How do I answer a "True or False Question"?

To answer a "True or False Question", simply choose the statement that you believe is correct. If you are unsure, it is best to go with your first instinct rather than overthinking the question.

3. Are "True or False Questions" always easy to answer?

No, not necessarily. While some "True or False Questions" may seem straightforward, others may be more complex and require careful consideration. It is important to read the question and all of its accompanying information carefully before making a decision.

4. Can I leave a "True or False Question" blank?

Yes, typically you can leave a "True or False Question" blank if you do not know the answer or are unsure. However, it is important to follow any specific instructions given by the person administering the assessment or survey.

5. How reliable are "True or False Questions"?

The reliability of "True or False Questions" depends on various factors, such as the quality of the question and the knowledge of the respondent. They can be a useful tool for gathering information, but they should not be the sole method of assessment or decision-making.