Gravitation Potential Energy Help

In summary, the ratio of the energy required to put a mass M into orbit near Earth's surface to the energy required to put it into distant space is 1:2, with the kinetic energy of escape being twice the kinetic energy of orbit. This calculation is dependent on the conservation of total energy and the presence of a conservative gravity field. However, the exact ratio may vary depending on the specific values of mass and distance given.
krypt0nite
Calculate the ratio of the energy that would be required to put a mass M into orbit near the Earth's surface (if there were no friction) and the energy to put the same into distant space.

I'm stuck. How am i suppose to calculate the ratio. I know the that the energy to put M into orbit near the Earth's surface would be a small positive energy while putting it into distant space would be a large positive energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
The signs are purely conventional.Actually for gravitational potential energy,it is MINUS INSTEAD OF PLUS...
The gravity field of a spherically symmetric celestial body (i.e.Earth) is CONSERVATIVE,which means u can apply the law of conservation of total energy.

Can u compute the energy required to put a mass into orbit near the surface of the Earth??

Daniel.

There are no values given to me so i don't know how to compute it

I'm not sure how to find the answer, but I can tell you this: Binding energy is the additional energy you have to supply a satellite (or anything in orbit) to escape the Earth's gravitational field. This is the formula for it:
[tex]E_{binding}=\frac{Gm_1m_2}{2r}[/tex]

When a satellite is in orbit, it's total energy (total mechanical energy) is:
[tex]E_{mechanical}=-\frac{Gm_1m_2}{2r}[/tex]

So I guess the ratio would be 1:1?

Not really.The second formula doesn't hold for bodies on the Earth (which do not orbit,hence do not have KE),so i guess the OP is correct.The problem is missing some data...

Daniel.

Wouldn't the "r" be different values so I don't think they can be 1:1?
I was thinking more like 1:1/r ratio would make sense.

krypt0nite said:
Calculate the ratio of the energy that would be required to put a mass M into orbit near the Earth's surface (if there were no friction) and the energy to put the same into distant space.

I'm stuck. How am i suppose to calculate the ratio. I know the that the energy to put M into orbit near the Earth's surface would be a small positive energy while putting it into distant space would be a large positive energy.
For near Earth orbit:

[tex]mv^2/R = F = GMm/R^2[/tex]

Which is:
(1)[tex]2KE = GMm/R[/tex]
where KE is the kinetic energy of the orbiting body, which is just -1/2 * its gravitational potential at radius R.

The condition for distant space (escape) is:

[tex]PE \ge 0[/tex]

You should see from (1) that [itex]2KE_{orbit} + PE_{orbit} = 0[/itex], which means that the kinetic energy required for escape is ______ the KE for orbit. I think that should help you answer the question.

AM

So ratio would be 1:2?

krypt0nite said:
So ratio would be 1:2?
If you mean: Kinetic energy of escape = 2 KE of orbit, then yes.

AM

1. What is gravitation potential energy?

Gravitation potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that an object possesses because of its height above the ground or surface and the force of gravity acting upon it.

2. How is gravitation potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating gravitation potential energy is GPE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above the ground or surface.

3. What are some examples of objects with gravitation potential energy?

Some examples of objects with gravitation potential energy include a book on a shelf, a roller coaster at the top of a hill, and a pendulum at its highest point. Anything that has a mass and is positioned above the ground or surface has gravitation potential energy.

4. How can gravitation potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Gravitation potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy or thermal energy, when the object falls or moves downward due to the force of gravity. This conversion of energy is known as potential energy to kinetic energy conversion.

5. How does gravitation potential energy affect objects in motion?

Gravitation potential energy affects objects in motion by providing a source of energy that can be converted into kinetic energy, causing the object to move. As the object moves downward, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases. This relationship is described by the Law of Conservation of Energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.