Can Green's Theorem Simplify Calculations of Magnetic Force in Uniform Fields?

In summary: That approach is also valid and simpler.In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that in a uniform magnetic field, the net force on a current loop carrying current I is zero. The suggested methods include using Green's theorem and the magnetic force equation, as well as directly integrating the components of the force. It is determined that both methods are valid, with the direct integration approach being simpler.
schaefera

Homework Statement

Prove that, in a uniform magnetic field, the net force on a current loop carrying current I is zero.

Homework Equations

Green's theorem, and magnetic force equation

The Attempt at a Solution

My main question is whether I can use Green's theorem to prove this result... it seems rather too simple if I can!

Since F=∫I(dLxB) integrated around the whole loop, let's say the B=(Bx)i+(By)j+(Bz)k and let's parameterize the closed loops as the path L: x(t)i+y(t)j+z(t)k. Then dL= dx i+ dy j + dz k. And dL x B = (Bz*dy - By*dz)i+(Bz*dx-Bx*dz)j+(Bydx-Bxdy)k.

Can I simply break up the integral expression for F into three closed-loop line integrals for Fx, Fy, and Fz respectively? And then can I apply Green's theorem and (using the statement that it's a uniform B-field), I know the derivatives of any component of the magnetic field must be zero... so the line integrals all turn into double integrals over some region, but with 0 as the integrand. Thus the net force in all directions is 0!

Is that allowed? The question called for me to integrate directly...

Physics news on Phys.org
Using the vector identity AxB +CxB = (A+C)xB show ∫(dLxB) = (∫dL)xB

Then interpret ∫dL

Well, I'm not quite sure how to do that proof other than to say that the integral would be an infinite sum and since that identity holds for the sum of two vectors, I'll just extend that to an infinite number of infinitesimal vectors and then apply it to all the little dL's... then it follows easily.

But is the integral of dL (where dL is a vector) equal to 0 or to the length of the loop? I feel like it should represent the length, but then LxB isn't necessarily 0. See, the integral of dL where dL is a piece of arc length would equal the total length of the loop... but if dL is a vector we can't simply integrate it, because it has components and all that!

Also, was my first method valid even if not a direct integral?

The integral is adding up a lot of little displacement vectors. So, it's really representing vector addition of a bunch of vectors that are strung head-to-tail around a closed loop.

That's different than adding up just the magnitudes of the vectors ∫|dL| which would be the total distance around the loop.

schaefera said:
My main question is whether I can use Green's theorem to prove this result... it seems rather too simple if I can!

Since F=∫I(dLxB) integrated around the whole loop, let's say the B=(Bx)i+(By)j+(Bz)k and let's parameterize the closed loops as the path L: x(t)i+y(t)j+z(t)k. Then dL= dx i+ dy j + dz k. And dL x B = (Bz*dy - By*dz)i+(Bz*dx-Bx*dz)j+(Bydx-Bxdy)k.

Can I simply break up the integral expression for F into three closed-loop line integrals for Fx, Fy, and Fz respectively? And then can I apply Green's theorem and (using the statement that it's a uniform B-field), I know the derivatives of any component of the magnetic field must be zero... so the line integrals all turn into double integrals over some region, but with 0 as the integrand. Thus the net force in all directions is 0!

Is that allowed? The question called for me to integrate directly...

Yes, you can do that. For example the z-component of the force is proportional to [itex]\oint[/itex](Bydx-Bxdy) around a closed loop in the xy plane. Define a vector V such that Vx = By and Vy = -Bx. Then you can express the integral as [itex]\oint[/itex](Vxdx+Vydy) which is just the line integral of V around the loop. Then Green's theorem may be used to write it in terms of the curl of V over the area of the loop. Since V is a constant vector if B is uniform, you get the desired result.

But note that if you take anyone of your terms in F such as [itex]\oint[/itex]Bydx, you can simplify it directly as By[itex]\oint[/itex]dx = 0.

Last edited:

1. What is force on a current loop?

The force on a current loop is the force exerted on a loop of current-carrying wire when placed in a magnetic field.

2. How is the force on a current loop calculated?

The force on a current loop can be calculated using the formula F = I * L * B * sin(theta), where I is the current, L is the length of the loop, B is the magnetic field strength, and theta is the angle between the loop and the magnetic field.

3. What is the direction of the force on a current loop?

The direction of the force on a current loop is determined by the right-hand rule. If the fingers of your right hand are pointed in the direction of the current, and your thumb is pointed in the direction of the magnetic field, then the force on the loop will be in the direction of your palm.

4. How does the force on a current loop change when the current or magnetic field is increased?

The force on a current loop is directly proportional to the current, length of the loop, and magnetic field strength. Therefore, increasing any of these values will result in an increase in the force on the loop.

5. What are some real-life applications of the force on a current loop?

The force on a current loop is used in many devices, such as electric motors and generators, which use the force to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy and vice versa. It is also used in particle accelerators, where charged particles are accelerated using magnetic fields.