I spend too much time with you guys

• Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the speaker is having a fun argument with two friends about linguistics, which is not their usual subject of debate. They mention using set theory to prove a point and jokingly complain about spending too much time with "sciency" people. They also mention how linguistics is connected to logic and math, and how it is a fascinating subject. The conversation ends with a discussion about pocket protectors and their cultural significance.
Smurf
Okay, this is what happened. I'm having an argument with my 2 friends Tyra and Matt. We always argue about all sorts of things, and it's fun. But today was weird. Today we were arguing about a certain aspect of linguistics (a common subject between me and matt) and I decide to prove matt wrong using Set Theory.

Now, remember people, I failed grade 11 math. Math may come naturally to you lot because your all sciency (and I was too when I joined - that's changed). But I'm not mathematically inclined, I don't usually argue using mathematics, I tend to use reasoning and rhetoric.

I'm spending far too much time with you lot. You're turning me into a sciency person. :mad: :grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Smurf said:
I'm spending far too much time with you lot. You're turning me into a sciency person. :mad: :grumpy:

You can expect to start growing a pocket protector any time now.

protector? Do you mean protractor or something?

Smurf said:

Its a genetic trait that most scientists have. It spreads like a cancer after infecting your shirt.

You like linguistics?! :cool: What were you talking about?

apparently linguistics is a lot like math... at least according to the kids in math club with me. when i got there this week they were having some discussion about it. so...

The connection is logic. Math is based on logical functions. Linguistics is based on logic and reasoning as well.

honestrosewater said:
You like linguistics?! :cool: What were you talking about?
Yeah. Linguistics is the best. :cool:
We were discussing a rather trivial matter actually. The part I used set theory for was to prove the definition of 'red' was singular (not even kidding).

Yeah, there are areas of linguistics that are quite math-intensive (mathematical linguistics, for one :rolleyes:). The tie to logic is even more basic - logic is itself a language. :smile:
Smurf said:
Yeah. Linguistics is the best. :cool:
We were discussing a rather trivial matter actually. The part I used set theory for was to prove the definition of 'red' was singular (not even kidding).
Well, next time you want to talk about linguistics, just pop in Social Sciences. :biggrin:

Smurf said:

There was no such thing as a nerd back in 1947, when Erich Klein opened a small factory on Chicago's North Side and became one of the first manufacturers to make plastic pocket protectors.

...But this simple polyvinyl chloride product evolved into something far more culturally symbolic: it became the ultimate emblem of nerdiness.[continued]
http://www.ieee.org/organizations/history_center/pocketprotector.html

Your new identity:
...The nerd is a small humanoid creature looking comically angry, like a thin, cross Chester A. Arthur. [continued]
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=1miihb9f9bt1u?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Nerd&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc03b&linktext=nerd

Last edited by a moderator:

What does it mean to spend too much time with someone?

Spending too much time with someone means that you are dedicating a large portion of your time to that person, often at the expense of other important responsibilities or relationships.

Why is spending too much time with someone a problem?

Spending too much time with someone can lead to codependency and a lack of independence. It can also cause strain on other relationships and hinder personal growth.

How can I tell if I am spending too much time with someone?

You may be spending too much time with someone if you are neglecting other important areas of your life, feel anxious or guilty when you are not with them, or rely on them for your happiness and well-being.

What can I do to find a healthy balance in my relationships?

To find a healthy balance in your relationships, it is important to prioritize your own needs and responsibilities. Communication is also key - make sure to set boundaries and communicate openly with your loved ones about your needs and expectations.

When is it okay to spend a lot of time with someone?

It is okay to spend a lot of time with someone if it is mutually beneficial and does not negatively affect other aspects of your life. It is also important to make sure that you are maintaining a sense of independence and not relying solely on that person for your happiness.