Harmonic Function Homework: Derive 0

In summary, the homework statement is that the average of a function around a circle of radius r is provided by \overline{f}(r)\equiv\frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{2\pi}_{0}f(r,\varphi)d\varphi.
billiards

Homework Statement

Derive that:

[tex]\left[r\frac{\partial\overline{f}}{\partial r}\right]}^{r=R}_{r=0}=0[/tex]

Homework Equations

I have taken the Laplacian [tex]\nabla^{2}f=0[/tex] for a disk in cylindrical co-ordinates and have found that:

[tex]\int^{R}_{0}\int^{2\pi}_{0} \left[\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(r\frac{\partial f}{\partial r})\right] d\varphi dr=0[/tex]

And the definition of the average of the function around the circle of radius r is provided:

[tex]\overline{f}(r)\equiv\frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{2\pi}_{0}f(r,\varphi)d\varphi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This ones seems to have me stumped.

I've tried setting

[tex]\int^{2\pi}_{0} \left[\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(r\frac{\partial f}{\partial r})\right] d\varphi = \int^{2\pi}_{0}f(r,\varphi)d\varphi = 2\pi\overline{f}(r)[/tex]

But that didn't seem to be fruitful.

I've tried expanding

[tex]\left[\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(r\frac{\partial f}{\partial r})\right]d\varphi = \frac{\partial f}{\partial r}d\varphi + r\frac{\partial^{2} f}{\partial r^{2}}d\varphi [/tex]

That looks a little bit like a Taylor series but I don't know what to do with it. I've been playing around with the algebra but can't seem to find my break through.

Physics news on Phys.org
i think you've pretty much got it, just need to work backwards

so you have
[tex]\overline{f}(r)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{2\pi}_{0} f(r,\phi)d\phi[/tex]

differentiate that whole expression w.r.t. r, multiply by r then intergate over r from 0 to R and see what you end up with

lanedance said:
i think you've pretty much got it, just need to work backwards

so you have
[tex]\overline{f}(r)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{2\pi}_{0} f(r,\phi)d\phi[/tex]

differentiate that whole expression w.r.t. r, multiply by r then intergate over r from 0 to R and see what you end up with

Thanks lanedance. That seems like a good approach, the reason I didn't try it was because I'm afraid I don't know how to differentiate the expression w.r.t. r. :redface:

Can you offer any assistance please.

none of the intergal limits or integrations variables depend on r, so you can directly differentiate under the integral sign

Thanks lanedance, I didn't know about differentiating under the integral sign, good stuff!

I think I have the answer, would appreciate feedback as this is not 100% comfortable stuff for me.

So far i get:

1) Use the definition of [tex]\overline{f}(r)\equiv\frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{2\pi}_{0}f(r,\varphi)d\varphi[/tex]

to find [tex](r\frac{\partial \overline{f}}{\partial r}) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{2\pi}_{0} r\frac{\partial f(r,\varphi)}{\partial r} d\varphi[/tex] in terms of [tex]f[/tex]

2) Note that

[tex]\left[r\frac{\partial\overline{f}}{\partial r}\right]}^{r=R}_{r=0}=\int^{R}_{0} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} (r\frac{\partial \overline{f}}{\partial r})dr = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int^{R}_{0}\int^{2\pi}_{0} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} (r\frac{\partial f(r,\varphi)}{\partial r}) d\varphi dr[/tex]

3) Sub in the Laplacian expression [tex]\int^{R}_{0}\int^{2\pi}_{0} \left[\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(r\frac{\partial f}{\partial r})\right] d\varphi dr=0[/tex]

To find that

[tex]\left[r\frac{\partial\overline{f}}{\partial r}\right]}^{r=R}_{r=0}=0[/tex]

QED?

What is a harmonic function?

A harmonic function is a function that satisfies the Laplace's equation, which states that the sum of the second-order partial derivatives of a function is equal to zero. In simpler terms, a harmonic function is a function that is smooth and has no sources or sinks.

What is the importance of harmonic functions in mathematics?

Harmonic functions play a crucial role in many fields of mathematics, such as physics, engineering, and geometry. They are used to model and analyze various physical phenomena, including fluid flow, heat conduction, and electric fields. In addition, the study of harmonic functions has led to the development of important mathematical tools, such as the theory of complex analysis.

How is the "0" derived in harmonic function homework?

The "0" in harmonic function homework refers to the constant term in the equation for a harmonic function. This term is derived by setting the sum of the second-order partial derivatives of the function equal to zero, as stated in the Laplace's equation.

What are some real-life applications of harmonic functions?

Harmonic functions have various real-life applications, such as in the design of electronic circuits, the analysis of fluid flow in pipes and channels, and the prediction of weather patterns. They are also used in image and signal processing techniques, such as noise reduction and image enhancement.

How can one solve problems involving harmonic functions?

To solve problems involving harmonic functions, one can use various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, the method of images, and the method of complex analysis. It is also essential to have a good understanding of boundary conditions and the physical or mathematical context of the problem.