The most depressing movie ever

In summary, "Requiem for a Dream" is a very depressing movie that may not be suitable for some viewers. However, it is an excellent film that is worth watching.
I hope you've seen it. I too find WW2/holocaust movies to be boring, and usually cliche or needlessly melodramatic (as if what was happening wasn't dramatic enough!). I don't like war movies in general actually. But schindler's list is one of the few exceptions, if you haven't seen it you might find it to be an exception too... Chaplin's dictator is also great.

I also tend to find sports movies horrendously boring, the only exception being cinderella man, which would also fit in this list of depressing movies... so few people have seen it and it's just GREAT.

Anttech said:
So your opinion of the film about this historical event is rather crude. It would probably be better if you were to say, you find the way the holocaust was depicted in that particular movie boring, but not the gender and thus indirectly the event, because that my friend wouldn't be a "clever" thing to say.

O, come on, give the guy a break, you can't be that picky with your words... I think we all know what he meant :rofl: .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anttech said:
So your opinion of the film about this historical event is rather crude. It would probably be better if you were to say, you find the way the holocaust was depicted in that particular movie boring,

I'm afraid I can't do that, since I haven't seen the movie. :smile:

Anttech said:
but not the gender and thus indirectly the event, because that my friend wouldn't be a "clever" thing to say.

Indirectly the event? Again, I disagree.

My opinion about the holocaust is the same as the opinion of every sane and normal person, if that's what's bothering you. :rolleyes:

So, I only find holocaust related movies boring, that's all. Perhaps because I've seen a lot of them.

I'm afraid I can't do that, since I haven't seen the movie.
Ok then you are an enigma, first you quote me saying a movie I said is depressing is part of a gender you think is boring, then you go to add another war type movie.. then you say you haven't actually seen the film I am talking about, but you have seen lots of holocaust related movies, there arent even that many, 2 I can think of...

My opinion about the holocaust is the same as the opinion of every sane and normal person, if that's what's bothering you.
Nah that's not bothering me...Its your opinion not mine :smile:

Great stuff!

C'mon guys, let's not argue about this! (even though radou's post explicitly says that he finds WW2 nazi themed films boring-- i don't see how that has been taken to mean that he is completely uninterested by the event of the holocaust?!)

Anyway, I happen to like Schindler's list. I remember we had to watch it in our weekly compulsary religious and cultural studies lesson (or whatever the class was called) at school. That film, coupled with a forgetful teacher who never remembered where we upto in the film each lesson saved me from about 6 weeks of work!

Anttech said:
Ok then you are an enigma, first you quote me saying a movie I said is depressing is part of a gender you think is boring, then you go to add another war type movie..

I didn't say WW2 films are boring. I was specific about a certain type of WW2 film, that's all. End of discussion? :smile:

AaliyahBlack said:
The most depressing movie for me was " Starwars ep 3 " that is the ONLY movie I have ever had to sit through, after the 1st 10 mins, I was BEGGING for it to end...

Talking about begging for a movie to end.:yuck:

http://www.nick.com/all_nick/movies/spongebob/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
morphism said:
You should watch The Fountain, also an Aronofsky film. It's both strange and depressing -- but brilliant.

Das Boot and Amadeus are also very depressing movies.

really good movies

radou said:
I didn't say WW2 films are boring. I was specific about a certain type of WW2 film, that's all. End of discussion? :smile:
Yup :approve:

Pink Floyd the Wall movie was very depressing, lots of pain and suffering.

I like the music though.

I also ALWAYS cry at this very specific line of "magnolia"... I know it's coming when he's about to say and I can't help it... horrible

Which line of magnolia?

um... well it's this thing the Donnie Smith character says to the police officer right after the frogs fall, it's such a horrible sad statement to make...

I was watching the movie with my friends and I was telling myself "don't get choked up, don't get choked up"— but I had to leave the room saying I had to pee because I knew I would start crying with that line; gets me every time.. it's embarrassing really.

If you watch that scene there's no mistaking what line I'm talking about... when I saw that movie for the first time I was in a relatable situation and every time he says that it puts me back in that place... not to mention it's a great (ly depressing) line to begin with. ... I tend to get emo with movies anyway, but I can usually hold it.

Last edited:
The disturbing award in my opinion goes to Eraserhead. But in a way it's really well done, it makes me feel like i just had a bad dream.

DeadWolfe said:
Has got to be Requiem for a Dream. Every time I watch this movie it makes me want to die.

Does it really make you want to die i like to watch tehse movies a really enjoy them the ones that hold a true depressing powerful message but they do not make me want to die they make me feel empty as if somthing is missing that always has been and there's no point in life without this thing but really you'll never find it because were here just to be here there is nothign special about anything living example if there was nothing there would be nothing to worry about were here so what changes there's still nothign to worry about i get that kind of a feeling from those movies but i do really enjoy them and this feeling.

million dollar baby was very depressing to me.

Vincent_Rayne said:
Does it really make you want to die i like to watch tehse movies a really enjoy them the ones that hold a true depressing powerful message but they do not make me want to die they make me feel empty as if somthing is missing that always has been and there's no point in life without this thing but really you'll never find it because were here just to be here there is nothign special about anything living example if there was nothing there would be nothing to worry about were here so what changes there's still nothign to worry about i get that kind of a feeling from those movies but i do really enjoy them and this feeling.

Running short on periods and commas

Here, can borrow some from me:

........................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,@OP:
I don't like to watch depressing movies like on wars (Schindler's List). But I do enjoy watching melodic movies even one that have sad endings. Sometimes, the narrators use really stupid techniques to make happy endings (like hero defeating the antagonist/challenges even when he had no odds of doing that). I really avoid those movies which give an unreal touch in the end just to make you happy.

Last edited:
"When the Wind blows" That movie will make you want to blow your brains out.

But Requiem for a Dream is definitely the most intense movie I've ever seen.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114119/ - "A Petal" (South Korea), the opening soundtrack makes me cry! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62M4VkR3Y10&fmt=

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408664/ - "Nobody Knows" (Japan), just plain depressing and sad. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMP0KDKLwxw&fmt= (stupid American voice-over/trailer unfortunately)

These are both fabulous movies (of course)... also both based on true events! Anyone who is looking for real tear-jerker emotional "human drama" sort of thing, you can't go wrong with South Korean cinema. I could list heaps more. It's all happening in Asia.

"Secret Sunshine" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0817225/ - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4NH0dsXzug&fmt=
"Happiness" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1048159/ - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fiy_4I30Iv4&fmt=
"A Moment To Remember" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0428870/ - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XbbiHLmBCo&fmt=
"Christmas In August" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0140825/ - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it9_6ILTXqk&fmt=

If anyone is genuinely interested in this sort of top-shelf cinema, you may be able to find a subtitled DVD here or there to buy, or otherwise you may want to visit the awesome collector site asiandvdclub.org for advice.

(Don't let the cheesy trailer soundtracks turn you off! This is top-notch cinema, give it a go! It SHxTS on Hollywood CRxP!)

A really depressing movie is "Oscar et la Dame Rose" if you can follow subtitles. By the end of this movie, my basement was flooded from me crying.

turbo-1 said:
Most depressing for me was Charlie. It's based on the story "Flowers for Algernon" and it is heart-rending.

That is my second favourite movie (after "Birds of Prey"), and my favourite short story/novel (it was expanded).
I read only the first page of this thread, and even at that point there were a lot of films mentioned that I've never heard of. I'll try to catch up later.
The most depressing to me, going only by ones that I've watched, was "Blade Runner". As an Atheist with no belief in an afterlife, Roy Batty's desperation to remain alive tore me apart. I couldn't watch it again, or even think about it, for 20 years. Now that I've come to terms with the fact that I have less than a year to go, I would watch it again for the production values (and to see Joanna Cassidy naked). It was a brilliant movie, based upon a brilliant novel ("Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"), but it really hurt.

Danger said:
The most depressing to me, going only by ones that I've watched, was "Blade Runner". As an Atheist with no belief in an afterlife, Roy Batty's desperation to remain alive tore me apart.
Worlds. Best. Quote.

Empire of the Sun somebody mentioned yesterday. Very, very sad movie. No wonder that kid grew up to be The Dark Knight.

Bicentennial Man, I've liked a lot; but it's another depressing flick. A lot of Robin Williams' movies are like that.

I would have to say though, that my favorite sad ending movie of all time is Ragtime. I just feel a strong connection to that movie. It's a visual aid of sorts to a lot of stories my grandparents retold of my great-grandparents generation. I knew my great-grandmother (she lived to be in her 90's, and died when I was 6) and she was a teenager around 1910.

Some decent bleak movies which come to mind :

Tideland
Martin
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Bugs (this movie disturbed me for weeks)
Brazil (if you count the original intended ending)
Visitor Q

I liked all of them.

I think that it comes down to the fact that once in a rare while an artist, singer, filmmaker, or such produces something that resonates with something in the observer's mind and triggers a serious emotional response. If, as a "for instance", when you were 5 years old you witnessed your baby sister drowning in a river, anything related to water could set off such feelings in your adult life.
This thread, I believe, is very closely related to the one about "musical chills". Beauty (or fear, or discomfort, or love) is in the eye (or some other sense) of the beholder.

9/11, a film by Jules & Gideon Naudet and James Hanlon. I couldn't even buy it for five years. When I did, I watched it that night. Haven't been able to watch it since.

Hotel Rwanda made me deeply sad. Great film, though.

"The Exorcist" made me very sad, but only due my shocked disbelief that anyone would pay money to watch it. That film was pretty much the turn-around point of society's spiral into stupidity.

Danger said:
"The Exorcist" made me very sad, but only due my shocked disbelief that anyone would pay money to watch it. That film was pretty much the turn-around point of society's spiral into stupidity.

That was an evocative piece of music at least...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmrVlGgPum8&feature

Alright, well here's the real one (pity someone who misspelled it)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZcCxRDtTyM

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120070/" [Broken], with Dennis Quaid. the sledgehammer scene tears me up.

"I am Legend"... he shot his own dog. a scene like that in a movie is just not right. I had to make my dog a steak dinner after watching that, and we played fetch for a while.

Danger said:

As opposed to what, Night of the Living Dead, or all of the crap people bought into in the sixties? :rolleyes:

Star Trek Generations

The death of Kirk... I still can't talk about it.

Ivan Seeking said:
As opposed to what, Night of the Living Dead, or all of the crap people bought into in the sixties? :rolleyes:

Different critters entirely. "The Exorcist", like "The Amityville Horror" later on, was total ******** advertised as a true story. Neither one ever happened, and yet to this day nobody involved in the productions admits that they were pure fiction.
George Romero's stuff, along with blobs, werewolves, etc. were marketed as escapism, and served that role quite well.

edit: And once again the forum software replaced "bovine excrement" with asterisks. That is becoming annoying.

DaveC426913 said:
Worlds. Best. Quote.
"Too bad she won't live, but then again who does?" :wink:

I thought Once Upon a Time in America, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull & Vanishing Point were all pretty depressing. Maybe not soul-crushing or anything but still depressing.

Ivan Seeking said:
Star Trek Generations

The death of Kirk... I still can't talk about it.

Too funny. This is why I love this site. Bravo.

<h2>What makes "The most depressing movie ever" so depressing?</h2><p>The most depressing movie ever is typically considered to be a film that elicits strong feelings of sadness, hopelessness, and despair in its viewers. This can be achieved through a combination of factors such as a tragic storyline, relatable characters, and emotional performances.</p><h2>What are some examples of "The most depressing movie ever"?</h2><p>Some commonly cited examples of the most depressing movie ever include "Schindler's List," "Grave of the Fireflies," "Requiem for a Dream," and "The Green Mile." However, this can be subjective and different viewers may have different opinions on what constitutes the most depressing movie ever.</p><h2>Why do people choose to watch "The most depressing movie ever"?</h2><p>People may choose to watch the most depressing movie ever for a variety of reasons. Some may be drawn to the emotional intensity and catharsis that comes with watching a sad film. Others may be intrigued by the critical acclaim and cultural significance of these movies.</p><h2>Is it healthy to watch "The most depressing movie ever"?</h2><p>It is generally not recommended to watch the most depressing movie ever if you are feeling vulnerable or struggling with mental health issues. However, for those who are emotionally stable, watching a sad film can provide a safe outlet for exploring difficult emotions and can even lead to personal growth and reflection.</p><h2>How do filmmakers create a movie that is considered "The most depressing movie ever"?</h2><p>Filmmakers may use a variety of techniques to create a movie that is considered the most depressing ever. This can include using a somber color palette, slow pacing, and tragic plot twists. They may also incorporate themes of loss, grief, and hopelessness to evoke strong emotions in the audience.</p>

What makes "The most depressing movie ever" so depressing?

The most depressing movie ever is typically considered to be a film that elicits strong feelings of sadness, hopelessness, and despair in its viewers. This can be achieved through a combination of factors such as a tragic storyline, relatable characters, and emotional performances.

What are some examples of "The most depressing movie ever"?

Some commonly cited examples of the most depressing movie ever include "Schindler's List," "Grave of the Fireflies," "Requiem for a Dream," and "The Green Mile." However, this can be subjective and different viewers may have different opinions on what constitutes the most depressing movie ever.

Why do people choose to watch "The most depressing movie ever"?

People may choose to watch the most depressing movie ever for a variety of reasons. Some may be drawn to the emotional intensity and catharsis that comes with watching a sad film. Others may be intrigued by the critical acclaim and cultural significance of these movies.

Is it healthy to watch "The most depressing movie ever"?

It is generally not recommended to watch the most depressing movie ever if you are feeling vulnerable or struggling with mental health issues. However, for those who are emotionally stable, watching a sad film can provide a safe outlet for exploring difficult emotions and can even lead to personal growth and reflection.

How do filmmakers create a movie that is considered "The most depressing movie ever"?

Filmmakers may use a variety of techniques to create a movie that is considered the most depressing ever. This can include using a somber color palette, slow pacing, and tragic plot twists. They may also incorporate themes of loss, grief, and hopelessness to evoke strong emotions in the audience.