Hi every body, i'm working and calculating the keff, and total

• Thread starter tiepngh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body Hi
In summary, the conversation was about calculating keff and total fission produced in a critical accident using the cylindrical model and MCNP 5. The person was also asking for help in calculating the total fission produced and the formula for Ʃf, specifically for thermal neutrons and U235. The expert suggested using the atomic density and a library of cross-sections in MCNP 5 to find σf. The conversation ended with the person expressing gratitude for the help.
tiepngh
hi every body, I'm working and calculating the keff, and total

hi every body, I'm working and calculating the keff, and total fission produced in critical accident in the cylindrical model. If critical mass is roached.
I calculated variable multiply coefficient (keff) by MCNP 5.
also total fission produced i don't know how to calculate this variable,
I really need your help.
thanks you very much for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org

tiepngh said:
hi every body, I'm working and calculating the keff, and total fission produced in critical accident in the cylindrical model. If critical mass is roached.
I really need your help.

Well, you could just take the fuel depletion in atoms...

tiepngh said:
I really need your help.
Total fission would be the integral of Ʃf and flux ∅(x) over the volume and time. One could reasonably assume a Gaussian pulse and mostly a prompt neutron flux.

Astronuc said:
Total fission would be the integral of Ʃf and flux ∅(x) over the volume and time. One could reasonably assume a Gaussian pulse and mostly a prompt neutron flux.
thanks for your answer,
and could you show me about Ʃf clearly, eg i want to calculate with thermal neutron(E < 6.625e-7 MeV), and fission cause of U235. how is Ʃf?
Thanks you !

tiepngh said:
thanks for your answer,
and could you show me about Ʃf clearly, eg i want to calculate with thermal neutron(E < 6.625e-7 MeV), and fission cause of U235. how is Ʃf?
Thanks you !
What is the initial form of the material? Solid metal, ceramic, or a aqueous solution? One can estimate the reactivity from keff-1.

Ʃf = NU235 * σf

and N is the atomic density of the material.

Astronuc said:
What is the initial form of the material? Solid metal, ceramic, or a aqueous solution? One can estimate the reactivity from keff-1.

Ʃf = NU235 * σf

and N is the atomic density of the material.
Thanks you very much, i have calculate critical model with solution material, one things i don't know that σf, and could you show me how to find it?
Solution : UO2(NO3)2 . 6 H2O.

tiepngh said:
Thanks you very much, i have calculate critical model with solution material, one things i don't know that σf, and could you show me how to find it?
Solution : UO2(NO3)2 . 6 H2O.
I would expect it is in a library of cross-sections in MCNP 5.

Otherwise, http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/sigma/index.jsp?as=235&lib=endfb7.1&nsub=10 - and find (n,total fission).

There will be no delayed neutrons.

What is "keff"?

"Keff" is a term commonly used in nuclear engineering to represent the effective multiplication factor, which is a measure of the reactivity of a nuclear reactor. It is also known as the "criticality factor" or "conversion factor".

How is keff calculated?

Keff is calculated by dividing the number of neutrons produced in a nuclear reaction by the number of neutrons lost in that same reaction. This can be expressed mathematically as Keff = Nprod/Nlost

What is the significance of keff in nuclear engineering?

Keff is an important parameter in nuclear engineering as it determines the stability and efficiency of a nuclear reactor. A keff value of 1 indicates a critical reactor, meaning that the number of neutrons produced is equal to the number of neutrons lost, resulting in a self-sustaining nuclear reaction. A keff value greater than 1 indicates a supercritical reactor, while a value less than 1 indicates a subcritical reactor.

How does keff affect reactor safety?

A high keff value can lead to a rapid and uncontrolled increase in reactor power, potentially resulting in a nuclear meltdown. Therefore, it is important for nuclear engineers to control and monitor the keff value to ensure the safety and stability of the reactor.

Are there any external factors that can affect keff?

Yes, there are external factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of certain materials that can affect the value of keff. These factors can alter the rate of neutron production and loss, ultimately affecting the overall reactivity of the reactor.