Register to reply

As an Engineer, will you just sit on your butt?

by KidWonder
Tags: butt, engineer
Share this thread:
Woopydalan
Mar21-12, 11:12 PM
P: 746
Maybe you should get a PhD and become an academic engineer, then you get to do the real nitty gritty of design.
KidWonder
Mar21-12, 11:19 PM
P: 22
What is a Academic Engineer?
Woopydalan
Mar22-12, 12:41 AM
P: 746
Someone who is a professor of engineering at a university, they conduct research at their school. I'm guessing they get more design freedom than your standard engineer in industry, but what do I know
Pyrrhus
Mar22-12, 01:32 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,278
Quote Quote by KidWonder View Post
It's depressing to me, if I have to stare at a Computer Screen ALL DAY LONG. I want to design, build, test, and refine. But, that's certainly not happening.
What do you mean by those words?

Design -> Sitting with software tools, staring at a screen.

Build -> Actually using tools, and putting metallic frames together? (that is a machine and/or a mechanic work). However, INVENTORS do those kind of jobs, but I think that's mostly freelance work.

Test -> It's a way to collect a lot of data of your prototype, and then you need to analyze through a available software, or program your own (more time sitting).

Refine -> Improvements in design? additional testing? more time sitting.
FAlonso
Mar22-12, 02:08 PM
P: 100
Go to an oil rig and you wont be sitting in office.

Go to a mechanical design company, you will be desperate to find a chance to walk around.

ME is a very broad field. Do not generalize it by looking at one or two person.
WannaBeME
Mar24-12, 10:08 AM
P: 41
I hope to not get just the average mechanical engineering job, with a concentration in aerospace I and hopefully masters in aerospace engineering that I can do something more exciting, but I'm not counting on it right off the bat. Even if I end up in a regular ME job, I could justify it by using my knowledge and skills to design, build, test things of interest in my free time. Better than not getting paid well and working with my hands by putting together someone else's design.

Register to reply