Becoming an Engineer: Considerations and Personal Experiences

• Other
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary: However, if you are genuinely interested in engineering, you should become an engineer regardless of what branch you study.End question: Should I become an engineer?Answer: If you see beauty and elegance in physics and calculus, then maybe you are on the right track; but, if it bores you to learn about how things work, how they are built, and how to make them better, then you probably do not want to become an engineer.

RazorNapster said:
Hi guys,next year i will have to choose my profession and i am highly considering engineer(i am particularly interested in aerospace field) however my gusetion is how hard is it to get into one of top universities like CalTeh,MIT etc. I am not quite familliar with all details.Also is there anyone from UK,do you have any thoughts on great engineering schools there.And for engineering do you recommend USA or UK?Thanks.
Cambridge and Oxford have engineering programs. One could also look at Imperial College and City University in London. University of Manchester, University of Nottingham, . . . have programs.

For example - http://www.mace.manchester.ac.uk/

The Guardian has a list of universities.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/22/university-guide-engineering-mechanical-

or see
http://theknowledgeworld.com/world-of-aerospace/UnitedKingdom-Aerospace-Universities.htm

or google "University, Aerospace Engineering, UK"

It can be rather challenging to gain entry Caltech and MIT.

Physics news on Phys.org

I_noscopedJFK said:
Hey guys! I'm almost certain that I want to become an engineer, but the problem is I don't know what kind I should be. I originally wanted to be an electrical engineer - the idea of organizing circuits and using switches really excited me. I just finished the electricity unit in my Physics honors class, and although I got practically a 100% in everything, I didn't really like it that much. The first day we started the unit I was really excited, but as days passed by I was becoming less and less fascinated by electricity; maybe it was the way my teacher taught it, but I didn't get nearly the kick out of it that I was expecting to.

We just had an egg drop project recently and it was soooo much fun designing and testing the container that had to protect my egg. I really felt accomplished when I finished working on it, knowing that I had made it as efficient as possible. The day we dropped it, I did the best out of anyone in my class.

I'm about to finish my junior year, so I have to start deciding what I want to study in college. I definitely want to study engineering, but I don't know which branch I would like the most.

• I like and do well in Math - especially geometry. Any time I see a problem involving shapes, lengths, and angles I get really excited.
  • My favorite subject, out of anything I've done in high school, is Physics.
  • I didn't really like Biology or Chemistry, but I probably would've like Chemistry more if my teacher wasn't so bad.
  • I haven't really thought about it before, but I've always been making stuff around my room - things that organize or make actions more convenient for me. Like... under my desk I used a small metal cylinder and duct tape (<3 duct tape) to make a toilet paper holder (lol for cleaning up messes, not... nvm). When I had a bunk bed, I made a kind of ramp (made out of wire hangers) that led to my light switch. Whenever I wanted to turn the light off without climbing down, I would put a ball on it and it would roll down the side of my wall to the other side, and land in this thing that would rotate the light switch. I've made other things, mostly to organize things that I use. Lol idk, it takes a lot of time to make it and it helps only a little, but I mainly do it because it's so much fun...
  • I LOVED legos as a kid (I wish I still had them)
  • My dad brought me some popsicle sticks (lol I've never had these) and I get soooo excited just looking at them. All the possibilities! Lol, I picture in my head how I'm going to make a catapult, trebuchet, crossbow, bridge, pencil holder, lol anything!
  • I like organizing things (i think I already said that)... my room might be a mess sometimes, but I get excited when I think about organizing the things on my desktop, for example, or maybe the wires behind my computer. I like to position stuff so I can use it as efficiently as possible, i guess

If you read this, can you give me a branch of engineering that you think I would like? THANKS
Probably mechanical engineering, or structural engineering.

If one is undecided, one can usually take general engineering courses the first year of university.

First year engineering students usually take introductory mathematics and physics courses, as well as introductory engineering courses. Ideally, one has some proficiency in algebra, geometry (including analytical geometry), trigonometry, possibly linear/matrix algebra, and some familiarity with calculus from high school.

theres no such thing easy in life, no pain no gain, even natural talent can be beaten by a hard working person. its just takes a desire and passion.

love what you do

I don't know if I want to be an engineer. I'm 22 and just really starting college but even that is iffy due to financial constraints and very special circumstances I'm in. So trying to figure out a way to get over that hill.

In the meantime I think I've found what I like to do best. Build things. I was 16 when I decided I wanted to build my computer, and while I did a year later I found it too easy. When I started playing guitar on a cheapo $100 strat knock off I decided my next guitar I was going to build myself (never did do it though no $$ =( ) Same thing happened when I was looking at houses and cars. Recently I was helping my sister move and taking apart the furniture and putting it back together, I thought she paid so much money for such poorly made things?? It hit me then that I could make better things for that kind of $$.

Did anyone get that feeling when decided to become an engineer?

I know only a few people are ever involved in the work of engineering these, but how would one get involved in working with landers and spacecraft like Curiosity and New Horizons? Would that be engineering? If I did a physics course, would I still be able to get involved in these sorts of things? I will be a mature student, so I know how to put in the time (I've learned the hard way after leaving my last non-science course) and being older I am also more experienced at being efficient with my time. If I did a physics degree, what contributions could I make? My main interest is what is going on with the extraterrestrial bodies and the idea of being on the forefront of learning the geology and environment of a Saturnian or Jovian moon makes me go all sparkly eyed... Honestly I couldn't give a monkey's backside whether or not there is life there. Could I be a real contributor to this doing just physics or would an Engineering degree get me a lot closer to being a part of the machine? I'll say now that the actual robotics: the programming and coding of the robot, I would likely not be very good at. Math and building things, yes. Writing in computer languages, not so much.

My background: 2007 BSEE in USA. I've worked in the aerospace industry since I graduated with two companies.

My responses:
Is engineering hard?-I choose to look at it as challenging. The curriculum pushes your limits in terms of learning, math, science, time-management, etc. I don't like using the word hard because it creates a mentality in some folks that it is automatically too hard which means beyond a persons skill. I would like to point out that sometimes the math and science are not as challenging as learning time-management for some students. In my industry I rarely use the math and science aspects of my education and, when I do, it is usually as a part of a larger team. The time-management skills, though, are practiced at the individual level.

Which type of engineering?-It depends. Although I would like to recommend "whatever you enjoy/like", etc. the harsh reality that I've seen in these uncertain economic times is that it depends on what type of living you want for yourself and your (possible) future family because, although engineering pays well in general, there are disparities between fields and location.
I have seen hundreds of engineers be laid off. Have they found new jobs? I don't know. Doubtful given the current situation. Is physics or some other pure science in a better position? I don't know but I would imagine that's doubtful as well. Other factors to consider: where would you like to live? is there a particular industry that grabs your attention? If I could go back I would focus on having a larger breadth of skills as opposed to specific skills. In other words, I would choose mechanical, electrical, or chemical over the others.

Should I become an engineer?-To me the answer to this question has so many "it depends" statements that it (obviously) needs to be tailored to the individual. I became an engineer because of the math and physics. But I hardly use that these days so it seems I made a mistake. Except that I do enjoy job from time to time and I get paid relatively well for it. And money is an important factor because I have a family now. If I were asked now what I would like to do I couldn't answer because I haven't tried it yet. I still like learning math and physics but that hasn't translated too well to my job. Then again I know of others who do practice their discipline on a daily basis. Although I don't regret my educational decisions up to now (because I'm in a good position in life) I don't think I would do engineering again. I would want to be more hands-on (such as a mechanic) or try to start my own business.

Hi there. I have some questions that are need to be answered. At this moment I'm choosing the university and I'm not sure what should I do. Here is a dilemma: I love physics and robotics, but in my country we don't have great engineering universities, but have very strong physics universities. I want to work in robotics field, so Mechanical/Electrical eng. degree would be great. I will get B.Sc in my country and after that I'm planning to move in Germany or US, pursuing PhD in engineering. So, should I get a bachelor in Physics (which is a great school) or bachelor in engineering (which is not the best in my country)?

As a career option, I'd like to be an engineer-researcher, messing around with advanced technologies, creating absolutely new things.

P.S. Sorry, if you see some mistakes, english is not my native language

Hello EBENEZR.
The short answer: engineering would be preferable but physics is probable.

The long answer: The interplanetary work that you mention is sort of unique in that it is primarily handled (in the US, at least) at NASA JPL which is in California. JPL is sort of the odd duckling of the NASA centers because it is primarily run by the Caltech. Calthech manages the center via a contract and they far outnumber the civil servants. At the other centers contractors also outnumber civil servants but they are definitely more involved in the work as opposed to just being managers like at JPL. What that means in practice is that scientists appear to have a higher probability to participate in projects as opposed to other centers. Therefore, although engineering is preferable you have a shot with a physics degree.

bamahabir said:
I don't know if I want to be an engineer. I'm 22 and just really starting college but even that is iffy due to financial constraints and very special circumstances I'm in. So trying to figure out a way to get over that hill.

In the meantime I think I've found what I like to do best. Build things. I was 16 when I decided I wanted to build my computer, and while I did a year later I found it too easy. When I started playing guitar on a cheapo $100 strat knock off I decided my next guitar I was going to build myself (never did do it though no $$ =( ) Same thing happened when I was looking at houses and cars. Recently I was helping my sister move and taking apart the furniture and putting it back together, I thought she paid so much money for such poorly made things?? It hit me then that I could make better things for that kind of $$.

Did anyone get that feeling when decided to become an engineer?

You might want to edit your post. And es, I have always wanted to be an inventor of sorts.

Guys,How can i give myself a proper base for engineering?i really enjoy everything about machines,physics etc..and i love math when it can visualised...But over the last few years ,lets say,i was more or less forced to self study for my own satisfaction...Can you guys please tell me how strong should i be in terms of math,or how i can get an upper hand in that section(books?websites?),coz that's the only place i feel i may lag at college,But i really would like to understand all that!..Totally love physics,,just want to love math too :(

Zacky D Keep practising till the penny drops.

I'm a recent high school graduate who wants to study Engineering at undergraduate level in a European country.

Here in Europe you don't get to choose your major or switch majors after you enroll. That's why I find it very difficult to figure out what Engineering discipline I want to pursue. (I also tried shadowing/talking to an engineer in real life but to no avail.)

So, I've got to decide between: Mechanical, Electrical and Chemical. I can't say that I have a particular interest in Chemistry or Physics: they all seem pretty cool.

How should I decide?

Thanks!

Pronghorn, try to get some work experience in any branch you might be interested in. Don't start a course without fire in your belly. You must feel committed right from the start. As a civil engineer, I know that if the foundations are not right, then anything you put on top of them will not endure,

-Should I become an engineer?

It depends on you. For me a huge turn off was the misogynist attitudes that many engineers inevitably have, which I wasn't really aware of until I started university. The other thing is, if you have to know the theory in order to understand and appreciate them, science or math is probably better.

-What engineering discipline should I study?

Whichever one you think you will enjoy. For example, don't go into computer thinking you just want the degree to make money, you will hate your life and you will be mediocre at best.

-Is engineering difficult?

Not really. The most difficult part is staying on track with the class. Engineering is easy in the sense that there are no difficult concepts and the profs try not to fail you. Because you will be spending so much time in class, the assignments and labs are generally shorter. I took science and arts electives and found those harder. The "difficulty" of engineering is generally due to difficulty in time management.

I really love Physics and can spend a lifetime learning it. However, I've also been hooked onto Chemical Engineering and can really see it as a tool for the change I want to see in the world. Both of them, I see as versatile and applicable to most of the fields I'm interested in. I'd like to believe I can do well in these majors if I put in the effort to prepare before taking the course but I doubt my ability to keep up during the actual semester. Seven more semesters and I don't know what's ahead. Scared garbageless.

I'm a bit curious myself so here are some of my own questions.

What kind of job security would I be able to expect as an engineer?

As an engineer, what, really would I do? Am I just a glorified mechanic?

Is university or college better for engineering?

Felchi: Your post #961 says quite a lot about you. In brief, no job is secure, but the higher your education and training, the more likely you will be able to work internationally, and thus open more doors. The world of engineering is so vast that there is scope for anyone to find their niche eventually, perhaps not initially when diversity of training is a good idea. Engineers do just about everything. I have met engineers who have acted as nurses, accountants, chemists etc etc in remote sites because of necessity. You just cannot tell in advance what kinds of demands may be made of you. I think that, depending on where you live, you need to get in touch with a local branch of an engineering institution, and go to speak with some real engineers at one of their meetings, and ask them these questions. In most cases, you will be welcomed, and enlightenment will follow. Only then can you judge whether university or college is appropriate.

Hi, I am an engineer in the oil & gas industry - offshore. I am wondering if anyone can offer any advice on learning a 2nd language suited to o&g/offshore engineering (my first is English). I'd imagine Norwegian would open some doors. Thanks

Any opinions on UCF (University of Central Florida) as a school for engineering?

lazypast said:
Hi, I am an engineer in the oil & gas industry - offshore. I am wondering if anyone can offer any advice on learning a 2nd language suited to o&g/offshore engineering (my first is English). I'd imagine Norwegian would open some doors. Thanks

Although I am not in the field of engineering, nor have experience with it, I think I can help with this. If you're wanting to open doors to progression, your best bet is search for employment openings for positions above yours on the internet and see what they would require and/or like. The best bet to find out what employers would like is find out what sort of people are being asked for.

Hellstorm said:
Do I sound like Engineer material? I'm 16, and still play with Legos... I love building! And am always building something. From rock castles when I was 7, to tree forts when I was 11. To computers, lego buildings and designing lego Spaceships now. I'm a very creative person... from art, to legos, to even writing stories... I'm also into Astronomy and space... I also have always been interested in how things work. I’m a big Gamer. I like games like Homeworld & Homeworld2, Halo & Halo2... In school, Biology is my Best subject, but not my favorite... that’s history... Math used to be my favorite, but I slowly fell behind with the smartest of my grade and never picked back up on it. so, do I sound like a future Engineer?

Lol I can't speak as an engineer, but I'm thinking of switching and the posts I'm reading are making me feel a bit more like I really should make the switch and that it will fit me.

I just wanted to say, I'm 20, don't have my Legos anymore, but I still build them in my minds eye. And not the block ones: Technics. lol.

pongo38 said:
Felchi: Engineers do just about everything. I have met engineers who have acted as nurses, accountants, chemists etc etc in remote sites because of necessity. You just cannot tell in advance what kinds of demands may be made of you.

Then what is an engineer's job description? If engineers do just about everything, how am I supposed to know whether being an engineer is right for me?

Briefly, engineers make things out of stuff.

So something like an inventor?

Felchi said:
So something like an inventor?

I don't think most engineering is new things so not inventing, though in the case of new products or new designs or refinement, new work will be patented so some inventing will be done. But there would be a lot of problem solving.

Is engineering in danger of becoming a globally outsourced job, with engineers from developing countries willing to work for little pay taking over the field?

Felchi said:
Is engineering in danger of becoming a globally outsourced job, with engineers from developing countries willing to work for little pay taking over the field?
Doubt it. Engineering is specialized and requires higher education. It's one field where "Good enough" is not good enough.

I'm not condemning developing countries but with the advent of global outsourcing, manufacturing has all but died where I live and our "temporary worker" program has led to foreign workers taking over many sectors save the ones requiring interactions with the public.

It's just frustrating you know? We all have to eat.

Hello there fellows! I've joined today and the purpose of my joining is very relevant to this thread. I want to become an Engineer. Glad I didn't ask the question.

I've just browsed the boards briefly and I must say this place is very resourceful. Thanks to the creators.

Hi all (interesting variation on a chat room) My aim is to become a Hardware Engineer for Microsoft.

Engineers learn to solve problems on their feet with minimal resources or support - which explains why we get sent out on field assignments with alarming regularity. A good engineer is part scientist, part inventor and part technician. Job prospects for engineers are still very good, despite the current economic climate.

I thought so, Hardware Engineer's for Microsoft earn something like a six figure salary don't they ?

I hear Google is an amazing workplace for Engineers dealing with computer science

lazypast said:

I spent the last year living in Norway studying physics. I met a lot of folks there who had ties to the oil and gas industry, let me just tell you -

Learning Norwegian is a great asset to break into that job market. And its worth it to break in - salaries usually start around 200k USD (or about 1 million kroner) and only get higher.

Something to keep in mind is that the oil and gas industry in Norway is very very international compared to the rest of their society. Additionally, they have a severe shortage of qualified engineers for just about every position available. This means they are more than willing to take on engineers with some experience even if they don't speak norwegian, not a big problem as a lot of your coworkers (not to mention every norwegian citizen) speaks fluent english, often better than a lot of north americans I meet.

If you spent even a few months learning basic norwegian and used that in your communication with major oil and gas firms (statoil, aker solutions, etc) they will hire you in a heart beat. Honestly. Take a look at some of the major job boards for norway (www.nav.no, www.finn.no) and you'll see its shooting fish in a barrel for oil and gas engineers to find employment.

One word of warning though - they will rarely hire people who are abroad. Its likely you'll have to actually be in norway to get interviewed and hired, which means getting a 1 year skilled worker visa which allows you to look for jobs and transfer to a worker visa once hired. The reason for this process is that it is extremely difficult (i.e. next to impossible) for employees to be fired once hired in Norway, so they are very selective about it.

good luck, but you won't need it :)

From reading the first pages of this thread I kinda got the impression that engineering studies is mostly for those who have some sort of passion in knowing how things works technically. Is that the case? I'm probably majoring in engineering, starting next semester, and in my entire life I've almost never taken an interest in how things in my environment "works". I applied for engineering because I love mathematics and really enjoy physics and problem solving, and I want to use that to study something fun and get a fun (and hopefully well paid) job. Do any of you guys have any experience with people like me?

I appreciate all comments and apologize in beforehand for any language errors (I'm a european).