The Evolutionary Necessity of Exercise for Mind and Body Health

• Thread starter jd12345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, exercise is necessary for the body and mind to stay healthy. It helps to build strength and stamina, and neural connections depend on stimulation. Exercise is also important for people in developed countries because our lifestyles are too sedentary.
jd12345
By exercise I mean both physical and mental
So are we evolved in such a way that we need to give it some sort of workout to keep it healthy? Why is this?
I don't understand why our mind and body need a workout to keep it healthy? Why won't just proper food work? Why exercise is necessary?

Biology news on Phys.org
An example: Have you ever suffered some some lack of mobility due to physical injury? It is pretty important to re-hab that injury in order to regain normal function. Mental deficits are similar, though not the same. Use it or lose it.

jd12345 said:
By exercise I mean both physical and mental
So are we evolved in such a way that we need to give it some sort of workout to keep it healthy? Why is this?
I don't understand why our mind and body need a workout to keep it healthy? Why won't just proper food work? Why exercise is necessary?
The body is a dynamic system and tissue/cellular development depends on stimulation/utilization.

One needs excercise to build strength and/or stamina (muscle development), otherwise the tissue will simply be replaced without futher development.

Neural connections depend on stimulation. Brain development depends upon ever increasing complexity in stimulation and thinking.

So does every living being require exercise?

In someway or another,yes.

humans need exercise because our lifestyles in the west is too sedentary. In impoverish countries they don't call it exercise, they just call it work.

mazinse said:
humans need exercise because our lifestyles in the west is too sedentary. In impoverish countries they don't call it exercise, they just call it work.
Right. It has nothing to do with evolution; our lifestyles have only become a lot more sedentary over the past 100 years or so, which is too short of a time for evolution to adjust our eating habits and metabolism (if it would be so inclined).

I would argue that it does have to do with evolution. Maintaining brain function and muscle tissue is expensive, it takes food energy and nutritional building blocks (protein, etc.). So we have evolved in such a way as to do away with things we don't need. This is why (I claim) muscles we don't use atrophy away. So you need to continue to use muscles, otherwise your body will say, "It seems this function isn't needed any more so I'll get rid of it."

1. Why is exercise important for our health?

Exercise is essential for maintaining good physical and mental health. It helps to strengthen our muscles and bones, improve cardiovascular health, boost our immune system, and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and obesity. Additionally, exercise releases endorphins, which can improve our mood and reduce stress and anxiety.

2. How much exercise do we need?

The recommended amount of exercise varies depending on age and overall health, but the general guideline for adults is at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity exercise per week. This can be broken down into 30 minutes of exercise, five days a week. It's also important to incorporate strength training exercises at least two days a week to maintain muscle mass and bone density.

3. What are the benefits of regular exercise?

Regular exercise has numerous benefits for our physical and mental well-being. It can help to reduce the risk of chronic diseases, improve overall fitness, promote healthy weight management, increase energy levels, and improve sleep quality. Exercise also has positive effects on mental health, such as reducing stress and anxiety, improving self-esteem, and boosting mood.

4. Can exercise help with weight loss?

Exercise can be a valuable tool for weight loss, but it should be combined with a healthy diet for optimal results. Regular exercise can increase the number of calories burned and help to maintain muscle mass, which is important for maintaining a healthy metabolism. Additionally, exercise can help to reduce body fat and improve body composition.

5. What are some easy ways to incorporate exercise into our daily routine?

Incorporating exercise into our daily routine doesn't have to be time-consuming or complicated. Some simple ways to get more physical activity include taking the stairs instead of the elevator, going for a walk during lunch breaks, parking farther away from your destination, and doing household chores or gardening. Making exercise a part of your daily routine can help to make it a regular habit.