What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #4,866
Monique said:
I can't view the video's, outside US territory.. I wonder what polpette is?

Since we're talking about Eggplant a lot, here's the Sichuan recipe: absolutely delicious.

Stir fry in 1 tbsp oil:
1 garlic clove minced
1 tbsp ginger minced
.5 tsp Sichuan peppercorn
Add and cook until browned:
2 asian long purple eggplant quartered and sliced (add some water when oil is absorbed)
Add sauce:
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp chili bean sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Chinese black vinegar
1 tbsp Chinese Shaoxing wine
1 tsp sugar
.5 tsp cornstarch
Stir fry until the eggplant is soft (add water when necessary).
Serve and sprinkle with 1 sliced spring onion.

The eggplant acquires a delicious sweet fragrant flavor.
Oh YUM! I love Sichuan, and I'm looking for ways to cook it. I'm ordering some special eggplant plants to grow this summer, so I'm hoping for a nice crop.

The first link should just be the recipe, are you blocked for viewing that too? I added the recipe.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,867
Evo said:
The first link should just be the recipe, are you blocked for viewing that too? I added the recipe.
Oh yumm, yeah now I see the first link works. Instead of boiling the eggplant it's better to steam it in the microwave I think (a waste of flavor otherwise), just pierce the skin in a few places and rotate halfway. I'll definitely try that, looks like fun.

I'm currently attempting to make a vegetarian fish sauce, based on seaweed (since that smells fishy).. an experiment and I'm curious how it'll taste. I'll be trying it out in a vietnamese dip sauce (Nuoc Cham) to go with deep fried tofu..

• #4,870
Evo said:
Tonight is ratatouille. [..]

I'll repeat the recipe here in case anyone wants to try it.
Tonight I made your ratatouille, a friend came over for dinner and he thought it was delicious :biggrin: I had to rescue it at some point, because the tomatoes were releasing too much liquid. I fished out the veggies and reduced the tomato down to a thicker consistency, reunited both and placed it in the oven to slow-cook for about two hours. I combined it with couscous, good to soak up the sauce!

• #4,871
Monique said:
:eek: apparently the other package of seaweed I bought contains inorganic arsenic and should not be consumed according to food inspection agencies.. there goes my hijiki seaweed salad..

http://www.food.gov.uk/news-updates/news/2010/aug/hijikiseaweed#.UTtvpY7A5j0
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22561181
Seeweed is quite popular here in Ireland. It's a type called "Dulse" Palmaria palmata. It is dried in the sun [when we get it] and becomes very crisp with a coating of sea salt. It is to die for, when we were kids we ate it like crisps [ potato chips].
http://www.irishseaweeds.com/irish_seaweeds__dulse_dillisk_palmaria_palmata_red_seaweed__algae_from_ireland.asp
[PLAIN]http://https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?
Has anyone noticed that posting images from Google images is getting increasingly difficult? I gave up after six attempts to post a picture of dulse. They were all encrypted!
q=tbn:ANd9GcQOgaFtS0edYmdOTlddcK0gpBiV9nb2NfYVS1B8a5fu9P5L_4YJNg[/PLAIN]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #4,872
Yeah, I also love crispy seaweed. The only thing stopping me from eating too much is the iodine content (and possibly now also the arsenic).

• #4,873
Velikovsky said:
Seeweed is quite popular here in Ireland. It's a type called "Dulse" Palmaria palmata. It is dried in the sun [when we get it] and becomes very crisp with a coating of sea salt. It is to die for, when we were kids we ate it like crisps [ potato chips].
http://www.irishseaweeds.com/irish_seaweeds__dulse_dillisk_palmaria_palmata_red_seaweed__algae_from_ireland.asp
[PLAIN]http://https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?
Has anyone noticed that posting images from Google images is getting increasingly difficult? I gave up after six attempts to post a picture of dulse. They were all encrypted!
q=tbn:ANd9GcQOgaFtS0edYmdOTlddcK0gpBiV9nb2NfYVS1B8a5fu9P5L_4YJNg[/PLAIN]

Not sure what problem you seem to run into, http://www.irishseaweeds.com/irish_seaweeds__dulse_dillisk_palmaria_palmata_red_seaweed__algae_from_ireland.asp seems to work okay

http://www.irishseaweeds.com/images/Palpal1.jpg

or this one.

Palmaria_palmata_b.JPG

• #4,874
escoveitched fish...right now. I love Jamaican cuisine!

• #4,875
Went to a dinner party last night, and I made these empanadas to the party. I don't make this very often since it is tedious to make. It is filled with ground beef, potatoes, onions, and parsley, and is spiced with curry and extra turmeric and coriander powder.

I made the pastry shell myself using a variation of the typical pie crust recipe. However, I substitute all the shortening with butter (no more hydrogenated fats for me, thank you). I had taken a shortcut before by buying puff pastry dough from the supermarket, but after seeing what goes into one of these things, I can't see eating such a thing, or feeding it to my friends. And instead of deep-frying them as one would normally do for many types of empanadas, I baked them.

It turned out pretty well and people loved it (at least, the non-vegetarians at the party did). I made way more than there were people attending the party, and these things aren't bad for breakfast the next morning! :)

img8191f.jpg

img8188g.jpg

Can't you just tell that this was homemade by an amateur by how uneven and non-uniform each one of the empanadas look? :)

Zz.

• #4,876
Looks pretty tasty, z

• #4,877
Zz, can you post the recipe? Those look incredible.

• #4,878
Evo said:
Zz, can you post the recipe? Those look incredible.

Hum.. I can give you some idea of the ingredients and stuff, but it is essentially something I come up with off the top of my head. Even the pastry itself I modified from a recipe. I had to add more water than required because I wanted the dough to actually clump tighter than if I were making a pie crust.

Zz.

• #4,879
Is it kind of like a meat and potato hash inside a pastry?

• #4,880
Evo said:
Is it kind of like a meat and potato hash inside a pastry?

Kinda. It is closer to a samosa-type filling, but with more ground beef than potatoes.

Zz.

• #4,881
ZapperZ said:
Hum.. I can give you some idea of the ingredients and stuff, but it is essentially something I come up with off the top of my head. ...
Zz.

When my daughter called and asked for a particular recipe, I had to take photos of the steps as I prepared it, then put them in a PowerPoint explanation.

• #4,882
ZapperZ said:
Went to a dinner party last night, and I made these empanadas to the party. I don't make this very often since it is tedious to make. It is filled with ground beef, potatoes, onions, and parsley, and is spiced with curry and extra turmeric and coriander powder.

I made the pastry shell myself using a variation of the typical pie crust recipe. However, I substitute all the shortening with butter (no more hydrogenated fats for me, thank you). I had taken a shortcut before by buying puff pastry dough from the supermarket, but after seeing what goes into one of these things, I can't see eating such a thing, or feeding it to my friends. And instead of deep-frying them as one would normally do for many types of empanadas, I baked them.

It turned out pretty well and people loved it (at least, the non-vegetarians at the party did). I made way more than there were people attending the party, and these things aren't bad for breakfast the next morning! :)

Can't you just tell that this was homemade by an amateur by how uneven and non-uniform each one of the empanadas look? :)

Zz.
They look like Cornish pasties, but an order of magnitude smaller. We have a local shop that does Brazilian-Argentinian food, and Empanadas are part of the cuisine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empanada

Basically its a pie crust wrapping meat and vegetables. We get beef, pork, chicken or goat cheese empanadas.

Cornish pasties use diced or minced meat - usually beef (but lamb would do), with diced potatoes and/or turnips and carrots, which are then seasoned and baked.

I think baking is the way to go empanadas, and the only way to do pasties.

• #4,883
dlgoff said:
When my daughter called and asked for a particular recipe, I had to take photos of the steps as I prepared it, then put them in a PowerPoint explanation.

That's so awesome.

• #4,884
I bought some beautiful beef shanks on sale for half price today. I feel a lovely soup happening tomorrow.

• #4,885
Evo said:
Sautee one diced onion and 3-4 cloves of garlic in olive oil, just until translucent,

add one large chopped (traditional) eggplant (medium small cubes), I leave the peel on

1-2 zucchini (sliced or chopped),

1 large seeded bell pepper (chopped),

add a 15oz can of diced tomatoes (2 cans if you like more tomatoes) (you can use fresh chopped), I use Hunts petite diced because it has a pleasant acidity, which is needed.

stir, add a large drizzle of olive oil, salt to taste, and cook until done, stirring occasionally (vegetables should be soft), this can take up to 3 hours (the longer it stews together, the more the flavours develop). Finish with a generous drizzle of olive oil.

Done, eaten... Oh my.

Marzena asked me to make it again when Junior and his GF come to visit us tomorrow :smile:

• #4,886
Borek said:
Done, eaten... Oh my.

Marzena asked me to make it again when Junior and his GF come to visit us tomorrow :smile:
I am so happy you and Marzena enjoyed it. This is my "comfort food", I grew up on it. It's as yummy eaten hot or cold and even tastier the next day (if any is left).

• #4,887
Yummy fresh from the pasture.

• #4,888
Wow dl, you lucky dog!

• #4,889
They grow in Poland as well (although they are rare and protected):

smardze.jpg

• #4,890
I've never seen those mushrooms before, they look weird! :smile:

Tonight I tried out a new dessert, I happened to have all the ingredients for Honey & Rose Water Tapioca and it was so delicious I ate it all hot :biggrin: It was my first custard-from-scratch and I wonder why they sell custard powder, it's so simple to make with staple ingredients.

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Honey-_-rose-water-tapioca-334276
tapioca_pudding.jpg

• #4,891
  • #4,892
Todays main dish - a beef tongue with a horseradish sauce.

I just realized I post here mostly when I am cooking something atypical, so it may look like if we were eating only strange things :rofl:

• #4,893
Borek said:
Todays main dish - a beef tongue with a horseradish sauce.

I just realized I post here mostly when I am cooking something atypical, so it may look like if we were eating only strange things :rofl:
I love beef tongue. And horseradish sauce MMMMM.

• #4,894
We have morels in Maine, too. Very tasty mushrooms. Slice them and pan-fry them. They are easily overpowered by other foods, so it's a good idea to serve them up neat.

• #4,895
Morels grow wild in the fields and yards of people in rural areas here. Evo Child and her BF hunted and cooked up a bunch. She loves them, I got none. They're crazy expensive at a restaurant.

• #4,896
Evo said:
Morels grow wild in the fields and yards of people in rural areas here. Evo Child and her BF hunted and cooked up a bunch. She loves them, I got none. They're crazy expensive at a restaurant.
No sharing? That's immorel.

Likes 1 person
  • #4,897
turbo said:
No sharing? That's immorel.
Around here, you don't even share where you've found them. :wink:

BTW One needs to beware of the false morel. Some, like this one, looks very similar to a morel.

2467893538_7825d2a0f4.jpg

Likes 1 person
  • #4,898
sushis are the best

said my piece

• #4,899
dlgoff said:
Around here, you don't even share where you've found them. :wink:

BTW One needs to beware of the false morel. Some, like this one, looks very similar to a morel.

2467893538_7825d2a0f4.jpg
Around here, if you have found a great place to pick fiddleheads you NEVER tell about the place. Those baby ferns freeze well if you blanch them promptly and they are such a welcome addition to sparse winter meals. My wife and I can afford pretty much we want to eat now, but it was not always the case (~40 years back) and local seasonal foods are always a special touch. When I was a kid, my father now 87) would say "one brake will spoil the batch", meaning that if you picked the immature sprouts of a similar fern and they ended up in the steaming pot, their bitterness would ruin the taste of the real fiddleheads.

BTW, around here about the only morels that I find are quite pale (yellow morels), and I haven't found any interlopers, but thanks for that heads-up.

• #4,900
Why one of the tags associated with the thread is "ninfa"? I checked wikipedia and I don't get what it may have to do with food.