Energy calculation for HVAC systems

by MacLaddy
Tags: calculation, energy, hvac, systems
Share this thread:
MacLaddy
May3-13, 10:45 AM
PF Gold
P: 221
I've been asked to approximate a dollar amount for heating and cooling an occupied tenant space in a commercial office building.

We've looked into installing a temporary gauge on each unit to give us a good approximation, but the cost to gauge up all the electrical and gas was beyond the scope of what I'm allowed. I even looked at just gauging up a few and approximating the rest, but that wasn't feasible either.

The only variables I can provide are square footage, head count, and a possible computer count.

Any ideas on how I can come up with a reasonable number? Any help is appreciated.

Mac

Additional Info - This space is controlled by 8 package rooftop Lennox units, varying between 3 and 7 tons.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Comfortable climate indoors with porous glass
Crash-testing rivets
Customized surface inspection
NUCENG
May3-13, 11:50 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 916
ASHRAE provides standard heating and cooling procedures for estimating heating and cooling energy balances. See if you can access any of their handbooks or technical standards at your school or company library.
www.ASHRAE.org

or get an estimate from a heating and air conditioning contractor or your local utility.
russ_watters
May3-13, 12:25 PM
Mentor
P: 22,252
The only way to get a realistic estimate is to use a computer modeling program.

MacLaddy
May3-13, 12:36 PM
PF Gold
Energy calculation for HVAC systems

Quote Quote by NUCENG View Post
ASHRAE provides standard heating and cooling procedures for estimating heating and cooling energy balances. See if you can access any of their handbooks or technical standards at your school or company library.
www.ASHRAE.org
Thanks for the link. I'll look through it.

Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
The only way to get a realistic estimate is to use a computer modeling program.
That's what I was afraid of. There are just too many variables to take into account.
Just curious, what kind of program could model this? I haven't delved into anything like that yet.

Mac
russ_watters
May3-13, 03:18 PM
Mentor
P: 22,252
Quote Quote by MacLaddy View Post
That's what I was afraid of. There are just too many variables to take into account.
Just curious, what kind of program could model this? I haven't delved into anything like that yet.

Mac
http://www.trane.com/Commercial/Dna/View.aspx?i=1136

Free 30 day trial...
MacLaddy
May5-13, 10:56 PM
PF Gold
Thanks Russ! I'll give it a shot. (although I doubt I'll be able to accomplish much without training)

Register to reply