Impulse on a water bag being dropped

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of deriving an equation to represent the impact of a bag full of fluid when dropped, taking into account the fluid's viscosity and the changing area and dimensions of the bag. It is suggested to use finite element analysis and to consider maximum and minimum changes in momentum to bound the answer.
abrewmaster
I have been trying to derive an equation to represent how a bag full of fluid would react when dropped dependent on the fluids viscosity. Basically i have the general impulse equation: F∂t=∂P but the time is dependent on the fluids viscosity (higher viscosity the longer it takes for the impact to finish) so I tried using the equation of viscosity: η=F/A*t but in this case of the equation I have a changing area that is dependent on the time as well as the dimensions of the bag. I don't have the slightest idea how to model this varying area since it is an nonuniform shape. Anyone have any ideas how to model this?

Physics news on Phys.org
abrewmaster said:
I have been trying to derive an equation to represent how a bag full of fluid would react when dropped dependent on the fluids viscosity. Basically i have the general impulse equation: F∂t=∂P but the time is dependent on the fluids viscosity (higher viscosity the longer it takes for the impact to finish) so I tried using the equation of viscosity: η=F/A*t but in this case of the equation I have a changing area that is dependent on the time as well as the dimensions of the bag. I don't have the slightest idea how to model this varying area since it is an nonuniform shape. Anyone have any ideas how to model this?
Hi abrewmaster. Welcome to Physics Forums.

This is a difficult fluid mechanics problem, and would probably require solution of the partial differential fluid mechanics equations (Navier Stokes equations) or turbulent flow approximations, even if the bag were assumed to be spherical and the deformation were assumed to be axisymmetric. You would also probably have to model the deformational mechanics of the bag, and its interaction with the fluid. I'm guessing that modeling this problem would require use of finite element fluid mechanics software coupled with finite element solid mechanics software. The moving boundaries would add even more complexity to the analysis.

I was afraid of something like that although I already knew that was probably the answer anyway. I will probably just make a lot of assumptions for something like this to save time during the calculations to get an estimate that makes sense and just work from there.

There may be a model already available for this type of problem. I see two situations that might have similarities. Firstly the impulse sound of rain drops falling on a hard surface, and secondly, flood modelling.

In flood modelling a sphere of water equal to a reservoir's volume is released at one point on the landscape to model the catastrophic failure of the containment structure. For the real world, finite element analysis is used for flood modelling, but the time scale needs to be checked against a simple theoretical model. That model would include viscosity. You might google { dam burst flood modelling } and trace references back to verification of the model.

abrewmaster said:
I was afraid of something like that although I already knew that was probably the answer anyway. I will probably just make a lot of assumptions for something like this to save time during the calculations to get an estimate that makes sense and just work from there.
Here are some thoughts along these lines. You can bound the answer by considering the maximum and minimum possible changes in momentum that can occur. After impact, the upward velocity can't be greater than the impact velocity, and it can't be less than zero (i.e., the ball sticking to the ground). So an upper bound to the impulse of the force is 2mv, and a lower bound is mv. Taking the average (1.5 mv) might be adequate for your purposes.

Chet

1. What is impulse?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object over a period of time. It is equal to the force applied to the object multiplied by the time interval over which it acts.

2. How is impulse related to the water bag being dropped?

When the water bag is dropped, it experiences a change in momentum due to the force of gravity acting on it. This change in momentum is known as impulse.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the impulse on the water bag?

The magnitude of impulse on the water bag depends on the force of gravity, the mass of the water bag, and the time interval over which the force acts. A heavier water bag or a longer time interval will result in a greater impulse.

4. Why is impulse important in understanding the motion of the water bag?

Impulse is important because it helps us understand the change in momentum of the water bag, which in turn affects its motion. By calculating the impulse, we can predict the direction and speed of the water bag after it is dropped.

5. How can the impulse on the water bag be calculated?

The impulse on the water bag can be calculated using the formula I = FΔt, where I is the impulse, F is the force acting on the water bag, and Δt is the time interval over which the force acts. This formula can be applied using the known values of force and time to determine the impulse on the water bag.