Register to reply

Peltier cooler advice 200c to 60c is it possible?

Share this thread:
joedp
Mar10-14, 08:48 AM
P: 7
Hi all,
Does anyone on here have experience with Peltier coolers? I have a surface 3.5 by 1 inch that is heated to 200c when current is ran through it as part of a cycle. When the current is off i need to be able to cool the surface faster than leaving it to cool in ambient temperatures, preferably in 2 or 3 minutes. Ideally i need to get the surface down to around 60c or as close as possible. I cannot use any liquid systems as part of this and motors are too large as i have limited space. Would anyone know whether a Peltier cooler combined with a efficient heatsink and fan would work for this task?

I understand there are issues around the solder melting and my understanding is that theres only a 70c difference between surfaces on the peltier and even then thats not under load. any advice is appreciated

Best Regards,
Joe
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Refocusing research into high-temperature superconductors
Neutron tomography technique reveals phase fractions of crystalline materials in 3-dimensions
Tiny magnets, huge fields: Nanoscale ferromagnetic electrodes create chemical equivalent of solid-state spin valve
Sunfire
Mar10-14, 11:31 AM
P: 208
Have you considered using a vortex tube? They are quite small and can output air with temperature of around -30 deg C for cooling
joedp
Mar10-14, 11:53 AM
Hi Sunfire, Thanks for the response. I am not too familiar with vortex tubes however what i do understand is they need compressed gas to work and unfortunately I do not have space available for the tube to work. please correct me if my understanding is wrong on this

Sunfire
Mar10-14, 11:57 AM
Peltier cooler advice 200c to 60c is it possible?

Yes, they work with room-temperature compressed gas. How much space do you have available for your cooling device? Peltier cooler devices are small, but not capable to move much heat.
joedp
Mar10-14, 12:02 PM
I have roughly 6 x 1 x 1 inchs for everything to fit. The rig needs to be small and compact to serve its function unfortunately. The cooler also needs to be able to be reused without disposables such as a co2 canister and I do not know of a compressor which is small enough to fit this space and be cost effective.

its worth noting that I am only trying to take away residual heat from the surface. When the cooler is in effect it will be to take away the residual heat as the power to the heater is stopped.
Sunfire
Mar10-14, 12:12 PM
6 x 1 x 1 can fit a vortex tube only... These tubes still need a compressed gas line hooked up plus the compressed air bottle which feeds into the tube. Unless there is a pressurized gas line nearby, as many industries have those. Also, the traditional vortex tube has "hot exit" and blows off hot air from one side (nowadays there are smaller versions of the vortex tube which do not have hot exit).

But anyways, the vortex tube can offer you more cooling capacity. If it doesn't fit your needs, then you could be back looking at Peltier coolers. I would look into catalogs and see how much heat can they move. All the best! -S.
joedp
Mar12-14, 02:20 PM
thanks Sunfire, im still looking into this. Im finding it hard to spec a peltier cooler to remove 140c from one surface to another. Any help would be appreciated
Sunfire
Mar12-14, 03:04 PM
More unusual ways of cooling are laser, magnetic, thermoacoustic, evaporative cooling, (heat pipes?) or liquid N... These are documented on Wikipiedia.

Register to reply