Suggestions for FTIR Experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses using an FTIR device for a short experiment and asks for suggestions on what to use it for. The use of the term "conductivity" is clarified and it is mentioned that the device outputs an Absorbance/Transmittance spectrum as a function of wave number. Suggestions are given for analyzing materials, specifically carbon, using the device.
Giga_Man
Hi guys,
I am going to get a shot to perform a short experiment of my choosing with an FTIR device.
Do you have any suggestions/seen any interesting things I could use it for?
(Please keep in mind my knowledge in FTIR in very limited so I would really appreciate interesting suggestions which are easy to do).

Physics news on Phys.org
First if all, are you aware of the type of information that you can obtain from a FTIR?

Zz.

I know that people use ftir to measure conductivity, so you can try it with materials like superconductors

vatlychatran said:
I know that people use ftir to measure conductivity, so you can try it with materials like superconductors

This is misleading, and the use of the term "conductivity" is vague.

One might be able to arrive at SOME information about the OPTICAL CONDUCTIVITY of a solid, but one would be hard pressed to be able to get any useful information on the electrical conductivity. Unfortunately, the use of the term "conductivity" often means "electrical conductivity", and that is why I said your statement is misleading.

Secondly, even information about optical conductivity requires a bit more analysis, i.e. it just doesn't drop out of the data and onto your lap. One may have to invoke Kramers-Kronig relations in analyzing the data to get some information about the optical conductivity.

In any case, one has to first know what type of raw data one can get out of a FTIR experiment, and that was what I asked the OP to see if he/she knows this. Without such knowledge, it is meaningless to present any other information that are derived from the data.

Zz.

Ah, you are right, i mean optical conductivity.

Hi, sorry for the late reply.
The FTIR Output is the Absorbance/Transmittance spectrum as function of wave number. max resolution for me is cm^(-1).
There is also an ATR element I can use use to measure the spectrum for solids and liquids.

You can to make an analysis of any material, for example carbon, is very interesting this topic because you can compare graphite bands and amorphous carbon bands, for different samples .

1. What is FTIR spectroscopy?

FTIR (Fourier Transform Infrared) spectroscopy is a technique used to analyze the chemical composition of a substance by measuring the absorption of infrared light. It is commonly used in analytical chemistry, biochemistry, and materials science.

2. What are some common applications of FTIR spectroscopy?

FTIR spectroscopy is used in a wide range of industries, including pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, environmental monitoring, and forensic analysis. It is also used to identify and quantify organic and inorganic compounds, study protein structure, and analyze the composition of polymers.

3. How does an FTIR experiment work?

In an FTIR experiment, a sample is placed in the path of an infrared light beam. The sample absorbs certain wavelengths of infrared light, which are then measured by a detector. The resulting spectrum can be used to identify the chemical bonds present in the sample and determine its molecular structure.

4. What are some important factors to consider when designing an FTIR experiment?

Some important factors to consider when designing an FTIR experiment include the type of sample being analyzed, the sensitivity and resolution required, the type of FTIR instrument being used, and the appropriate sample preparation techniques. It is also important to understand the limitations of FTIR spectroscopy and choose the appropriate spectral range for the experiment.

5. How can I interpret the results of an FTIR experiment?

The results of an FTIR experiment can be interpreted by comparing the sample's spectrum to known reference spectra or by using software to deconvolute the spectrum and identify specific functional groups. It is important to have a good understanding of the sample's molecular structure and potential compounds that may be present in order to accurately interpret the results.