Struggling with a Homework Problem - Need Assistance

In summary, the conversation was about a homework problem involving finding the longest vertical soda straw one could drink from. The person was unsure of where to start and asked for guidance. They then had an epiphany about using the formula p = \rhogd to calculate the longest straw, but realized it would not work because the formula gives the depth of the straw, not its length. The expert confirms that this approach is correct and explains the concept of pressure and how it relates to the problem. They also suggest using a vacuum or increasing the ambient pressure to obtain a greater head of water.
Gott_ist_tot
I received a homework problem that I need guidance on where to start.

What is the longest vertical soda straw you could possibly drink from?

I do not know where to start on this problem. A small push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
As I posted this I had a possible epiphany.

p = [tex]/rho[/tex]gd

If the depth at which the straw is submerged makes rho*g*d greater than 101.3 kPa than the water above the end of the straw keeps the water down. Although now I know that won't work because that is how deep the straw is not how long it is.

Gott_ist_tot said:
As I posted this I had a possible epiphany.

p = [tex]/rho[/tex]gd

If the depth at which the straw is submerged makes rho*g*d greater than 101.3 kPa than the water above the end of the straw keeps the water down. Although now I know that won't work because that is how deep the straw is not how long it is.
in TeX, write /rho as \rho to get the correct letter.

Your approach is correct. One must identify the height (depth) of water, which gives a pressure drop of 1 atm, since it is assumed that the reservoir of water is at one atmosphere (101325 Pa) absolute, and the lowest pressure one could achieve is a pure vacuum of ~ 0 Pa.

The only way to obtain a greater head of water is to increase the ambient pressure above 1 atm.

1. What should I do if I am struggling with a homework problem?

If you are struggling with a homework problem, the first thing you should do is take a break. Step away from your work and come back to it with a fresh perspective. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller parts or seeking help from a classmate or teacher.

2. How can I get assistance with a difficult homework problem?

There are several ways to get assistance with a difficult homework problem. You can seek help from your teacher during office hours or ask a classmate for clarification. You can also utilize online resources such as forums or tutoring services.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for homework?

Improving problem-solving skills takes practice and patience. One tip is to break down the problem into smaller parts and tackle each one individually. You can also try solving similar problems to build your skills. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can provide valuable guidance.

4. How can I avoid getting stuck on a homework problem?

To avoid getting stuck on a homework problem, it is important to stay organized and manage your time effectively. Make sure to start your assignments early and seek help if you are struggling. It can also be helpful to review notes and previous material to ensure a strong understanding of the subject.

5. How can I use homework problems as a learning opportunity?

Homework problems can be a great learning opportunity by allowing you to apply the concepts you have learned in class. Make sure to thoroughly understand the problem and seek assistance if needed. Afterwards, reflect on the process and identify any areas for improvement. This can help strengthen your understanding of the subject and improve your problem-solving skills.