Can I Survive Without Electricity?

• Thread starter rachmaninoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lights
In summary, the conversation started with someone reading The Art of Electronics and the power going out, causing them to try reading by candlelight which was uncomfortable. They then realized they could use their fully-charged notebook but needed power for their modem and coffee maker. They joked about needing fiber for regular power outages and someone eating coffee grounds for caffeine. The conversation then turned to laughter and someone trying to make a joke about using car headlights for light. In the end, someone admits to going overboard with their tired comedy.
rachmaninoff
So I was reading The Art of Electronics and behold, the power went out.* And then I tried reading by candlelight**, but my eyes began to hurt. And the wax was creating a mess. Then I realized I could get onto PF using my notebook, with its fully-charged lithium ion batteries, but then - alas! - my poor modem [external] needed power from an ac adapter (such a shock when I realized that). And oh no, the coffee maker needs power too? What no caffeine? Aaaaagh!

Fortunately the lights came back on before I resorted to eating the coffee grounds for caffeine sustinence. Anyway, just checking how ya'll have been while I was gone.*to anyone who missed the irony: you might be suffering from iron deficiency, which can be very serious! Eat more cereals.

**twice the irony

Physics news on Phys.org
I hate it when the power goes out when I'm reading about electricity.

You mean it happens regularly?

rachmaninoff said:
You mean it happens regularly?

only if you eat plenty of fiber.

hahaha! oh jesus, not sleeping makes me soo clever! holy cow, that was hilarious! god, every time i read that... the laughter... hahaha. wow I'm great! fiber... regular... hehehehehehehe... gosh I'm clever!

no seriously guys, that was really funny! laugh! damn you all, laugh!

hehe, oooh boy that was such a good one! c'mon, that was good! fiber... haha... hahahaha... hehe... hehe hah hehehe...

Dammit, LAUGH ALREADY! that was priceless! its funny! LAUGH!

hehehe... that was so good.

hahahahahaha, ooooh man. the only thing funnier than my original joke is the fact that i think its so funny. hahahaha. wow, I'm laughing at my own joke, good job abby. hah, it was good though wasn't it? oh yea, man i laughed. that was great. yeah, it was good. hahaha.

oh jesus... hahaha, I'm laughing at my own joke and no one's said anything.. just me... talking to me... and laughing... at me... HAHAHAHAHA. abby, you are priceless. HAHAHAHA, fiber... hahahahaha... go to bed silly!

Yes ma'am

snicker..
snicker...
hehehe... I'm still heeeeeereeeee! hehehehe... its still funny... oh its so funny! oh I'm a clever abby. yes, gale you're so clever, you're so funny! hehehe, I'm a clever gale AND a clever abby! I'm a clever gale-and-abby... gale'n'abby... gallenabee... gallonabee... gallon of beeeees! OH NO!
BZZZZZZZZZZZZ ahhhh! heeeelp!oh abby, you are a silly gal... a silly gale... gal... gale... gal... a silly abby. a silly and clever abby. hehehehe... hehe... heh.. heh hehe... heh heh... he he... he... he... heh... mmmm... pillow...

i didnt laugh at the joke but when it came to the other posts, i don't know why, i laughed. i did.

Oh good, she went to sleep - that'll probably save her life, based on her posts. I bet when she wakes up she'll reread this thread and delete all her posts, because they're so not-funny. Almost as not-funny as tribdog.

A house isn't much fun without any electricity. If the electricity goes out during the day, at least the family can hop in the car and spend the afternoon in the park. Well, at least that always seems like a good idea until you push the button for the automatic garage door opener...:frown:

No, I'm not so lame that our car was trapped in the garage. There's always an emergency handle that will release the door from the automatic opener so you can open and close the door manually. But, you still have to find the handle in the dark (losing the only window in the garage in return for an extra large pantry in the kitchen didn't look like such a great trade about that time). Fortunately, I had rigged up one of those lights for working on your car. It hung from the ceiling and the cord unrolled and rolled automatically so you could get light anywhere you need it.:biggrin: Well, at least if there were electricity, anyway.:frown:

Emergency flashlights? Of course I own one. I also have a couple of boys, so the emergency flashlight always wound up hidden somewhere under one of their beds or something. The only way to find them is with the second emergency flashlight, which naturally always wound up stashed in one of the boys' closets or something.

Didn't I say it was daytime when this happened? Yeah, but have you ever looked under my kids' beds? It will be night time by the next day before you can find something under there. In fact, sometimes you worry something might be living under there.

BobG said:
No, I'm not so lame that our car was trapped in the garage. There's always an emergency handle that will release the door from the automatic opener so you can open and close the door manually. But, you still have to find the handle in the dark (losing the only window in the garage in return for an extra large pantry in the kitchen didn't look like such a great trade about that time). Fortunately, I had rigged up one of those lights for working on your car. It hung from the ceiling and the cord unrolled and rolled automatically so you could get light anywhere you need it.:biggrin: Well, at least if there were electricity, anyway.:frown:

Did you even consider flicking the car's headlights on?

/me is sort of annoyed because he still doesn't get the joke.

OK, I did laugh at Gale, but that was not until I read her 3rd post...

I laughed at Gale, but only because Gale seemed high.

<_<

Too much irony is bad for the heart.

hahaha, sorry guys. i went a wee bit overboard. i was really really tired! i still think it was pretty funny though. c'mon... fiber... regular... that's pretty good. i chuckle at my tired comedy.

1. Can humans survive without electricity?

Yes, humans can survive without electricity. Our ancestors have lived for thousands of years without electricity and have relied on natural sources for survival.

2. How long can a person survive without electricity?

It depends on the individual's health, access to clean water and food, and environmental conditions. On average, a person can survive without electricity for a few weeks, but it also varies depending on the factors mentioned above.

3. What are the challenges of living without electricity?

Living without electricity can be challenging as it affects our daily routines and access to modern amenities. It can also pose safety concerns, especially during extreme weather conditions. Additionally, food preservation and communication can be difficult without electricity.

4. How do people survive without electricity in rural areas?

In rural areas, people often rely on alternative sources of energy such as solar power, wind power, or hydropower. They also tend to have a more self-sufficient lifestyle, growing their own food and using traditional methods for cooking and heating.

5. Is it possible to survive long-term without electricity?

Yes, it is possible to survive long-term without electricity. Many people around the world live without electricity due to various reasons, such as lack of infrastructure or choosing a more sustainable lifestyle. However, it requires significant adjustments and a shift in mindset to adapt to a life without electricity.