Understanding Scientific Notation and Exponential Functions

In summary, the student is trying to type in 6.7e-19 as the square root of 6.7e-19, but is getting an error message because the online parser expects a numeric answer.
TMNT
i'm doing my online homework as we speak and they problem I'm on is this

Use your calculator to find the square root of 6.70 × 10^-19

and i calculated that problem in my calculated and i got

6.7e^-19 and i typed it in my homework and its giving me an error and saying
"This question expects a numeric answer"

can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
i guess just try to type it in as

6.70 × (10^(-19))

nick727kcin said:
i guess just try to type it in as

6.70 × (10^(-19))

I just tried that and it didn't work and i got this message

"Only a number required. Computer reads units of "× (10^(-19))".

What am I missing here? 6.7e-19 is NOT the square root of 6.7e-19.

As a side note generally when the e notation is used you do to superscript it.

TMNT said:
i'm doing my online homework as we speak and they problem I'm on is this

Use your calculator to find the square root of 6.70 × 10^-19

and i calculated that problem in my calculated and i got

6.7e^-19 and i typed it in my homework and its giving me an error and saying
"This question expects a numeric answer"

can anyone help me?
Well first of all, your answer is not correct. You show the same number again, just with a different exponential notation. As for getting the online parser to accept your answer, just type it exactly in the same format that it is showing you its question number in. Look at where there are spaces, and how it is showing exponential notation.

As berkeman said, the answer is not correct.

But I want to point out my feelings towards the notation.
esomething typically means the exponent function - that is, the base of the natural log (e ~= 2.7).

If you want to denote 10^something, use either a*10b or aEb (the latter being more of an engineer's notation).

This is just my opinion, but I think most will agree using "aeb" is deceiving.

1. How do you calculate square roots?

There are several methods for calculating square roots, but the most common method is the "long division" method. This involves repeatedly dividing the number whose square root you want to find by smaller and smaller numbers until you reach a small enough remainder to determine the square root. Another common method is the "prime factorization" method, where you break down the number into its prime factors and then take the square root of each factor.

2. What is the difference between a perfect square and an imperfect square?

A perfect square is a number whose square root is a whole number, while an imperfect square is a number whose square root is a decimal or irrational number. For example, 4 is a perfect square because its square root is 2, a whole number. However, 5 is an imperfect square because its square root is approximately 2.236, a decimal number.

3. What is the significance of the square root symbol (√)?

The square root symbol (√) represents the mathematical operation of finding the number that, when multiplied by itself, equals the number inside the symbol. It is commonly used to indicate the square root in mathematical equations and formulas.

4. Can you calculate the square root of negative numbers?

No, the square root of a negative number is not a real number. This is because when you multiply a number by itself, the result is always positive. Therefore, there is no real number that can be squared to give a negative number.

5. Are there any shortcuts for calculating square roots?

Yes, there are several shortcuts for calculating square roots, such as the "guess and check" method, where you guess a number and then check if its square is close to the number whose square root you want to find. Another shortcut is using a calculator or a computer program to calculate the square root for you. However, it is important to understand the underlying mathematical concepts and methods for calculating square roots in order to use these shortcuts effectively.