Is Fame Worth Chasing or Losing?

• Thread starter Leah
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of fame and the desire to be known and respected. Some participants had childhood dreams of fame, while others saw it as a source of power and influence. They also discussed the downside of fame, such as invasion of privacy and the pressure to maintain a certain image. One participant mentioned receiving a hippo as a gift and another shared a song about wanting a hippo for Christmas. Overall, the conversation highlighted the complexities and varying opinions surrounding fame and its potential consequences.
Leah
Not really. Too much hard work. But there were times when I was a teenager that I wanted to be known. Reminds me of my 13 year old son now who wants to be a baseball major leaguer. As I've gotten older, I don't want anyone to know me!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never wanted to be famous. I always wanted to be a mad scientist when I was little.

simon7dn.jpg

I'd love to be famous as long as i were rich. With the money, i could hire heavily armed security guards to "remove" anyone who tried to bug me because of my wealth.

I grew up craving to be famous for one reason or another. Mostly I fantasized about fame as an actor. I assumed it would mean universal respect, the automatic love of total strangers, and wealth tacked on as a bonus.

Actors get universal respect?

zoobyshoe said:
I grew up craving to be famous for one reason or another. Mostly I fantasized about fame as an actor. I assumed it would mean universal respect, the automatic love of total strangers, and wealth tacked on as a bonus.
As zoobyshoe you have achieved universal respect and the automatic love of strangers. Not to mention that I think of you every night when I go to sleep with my new hippo. :!)

Evo said:
As zoobyshoe you have achieved universal respect and the automatic love of strangers. Not to mention that I think of you every night when I go to sleep with my new hippo. :!)

You have a hippo?

Pengwuino said:
You have a hippo?
zooby sent me TWO hippos for Valentine's day! :!) :!) I will take pictures of them tomorrow and post them!

I want a hippo :(

Pengwuino said:
Actors get universal respect?
When I was a kid in the '60's actors were pretty much still generally worshiped. I wasn't old enough to be included in any adult gossip there might be about them. If I found out something bad about an actor it took on a grand tragic status in my mind in a way that preserved their being larger than life, and of a superior order than the rest of humanity.

Evo said:
As zoobyshoe you have achieved universal respect and the automatic love of strangers.
Still, the years go by...and no oscar!
Not to mention that I think of you every night when I go to sleep with my new hippo. :!)
Oh, you sleep with it, do you? I should probably have shipped myself in a hippo costume then.

I've wanted to be famous before, and I still think it would be kinda neat, but that's just caused by a superiority complex I'm betting. You see, I'd like to be known and treated like royalty, but I also see that way of thinking as a red flag indicating an overblown ego.

I've wanted to be president before, and I had it all planned out too. I would start a decade long campaign, putting up propoganda in all major cities. No billboards or commercials, but just flyers stapled on telephone posts and stuff, just so that people get familiar with my name and stuff. It would start as a joke, and get more serious until it actually happened. Ya know, kind of like Schrawtzenegger. The benefit? Way cheaper, and spent over a longer period of time so it'd be almost affordable! Of course I didn't want to be president just because I would be treated like royalty, but because I think some major things need to be done, and nobody is doing anything about it.

but before you ask I'll answer. Living in la la land is great!

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind being very powerful or simply well known amongst the right set, but I don't want to be famous to the general public. I'd hate for people on the street that I've never even met to recognize me.

I only want fame if it comes as a package deal with fortune. :biggrin: You should see the video Zz sent me from our Disney trip...apparently I'm really good at waving every time a video camera is turned my way. :rofl:

Sigh. Has no one listened to my hippo song? :frown:

Evo said:
Sigh. Has no one listened to my hippo song? :frown:
I did. As soon as I saw the lyrics on the site, I recognized the song. We used to sing it when I was a kid. It's a fun song. It goes well in a medley with "I want a harmonica for hannukah." :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
I did. As soon as I saw the lyrics on the site, I recognized the song. We used to sing it when I was a kid. It's a fun song. It goes well in a medley with "I want a harmonica for hannukah." :biggrin:
Finally, someone with some class. :approve:

I don't think i would like to win the lottery. It just would make everything so easy, kind of depressing, no thanks.

If I could be famous, I would be Charlie Rose.

What are the benefits of being famous?

The benefits of being famous include increased recognition, opportunities for wealth and success, and the ability to make a positive impact on a larger scale.

What are the drawbacks of being famous?

The drawbacks of being famous include loss of privacy, constant media scrutiny, and pressure to maintain a certain image or reputation.

Do you think fame brings true happiness?

While fame can bring temporary happiness and fulfillment, it does not guarantee long-term happiness. Many famous individuals struggle with mental health issues and feel isolated due to the demands of their celebrity status.

How does one become famous?

Becoming famous often requires a combination of talent, hard work, luck, and networking. It can also be achieved through social media and viral content.

Would you choose to be famous if given the opportunity?

As a scientist, my focus is on my work and making a positive impact in my field. While fame may come with some benefits, it is not my ultimate goal. I am content with making a difference in my own way, regardless of fame.