Euler's Method for Solving Differential Equations with Non-Uniform Step Sizes

In summary, the question involves using Euler's method with a step size of 0.25 to approximate the solution to the differential equation dy/dx = ycosx, with initial condition y(0) = 1 on the interval 0 <= x <= pi/4. The question also asks for clarification on the values of x to use, which can either be pi/12, pi/6, and pi/4 or 0.25, 0.50, and 0.75. The conversation also includes a discussion on the usage of h that does not divide evenly into the interval length.
que
I need some clarification please the question is:
-Using Euler's method with h = .25 given dy/dx = ycosx ,y(0) = 1 on the interval 0 <= x =< pi/4.

are the X's : pi/12, pi/6, pi/4 OR .25, .50, .75 ??

some help please

que.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] x_0=0 [/tex]
[tex] x_1 = x_0 +h [/tex]
[tex] x_3 = x_0 + 2*h [/tex]

Continue until

[tex] x_n > \frac { \pi } 4 [/tex]

Start at 0 and go by steps of h:
0, .25, .50, .75, 1, 1.25, 1.50.

It's a bit peculiar to use an h that does not divide evenly into the length of the interval. Are you sure you have read the problem correctly?

ok so what i get.
(x0,y0) = (0,1)
X1 = .25
Y1 = 1 + .25(1*cos(0)) = 1.25
i do this until x3,y3 where x3 = .75, and y3 = 1.8935
do i stop there since doing one more step will be > pi/4?

thanx.

yes HallsofIvy i read the problem correctly that why i was confused since all the book problems use an h that is divide evenly into the length of the intervals.

1. What is Euler's Method?

Euler's Method is a numerical method used to approximate solutions to ordinary differential equations. It is based on the concept of approximating a curve by a series of small straight lines, and it is named after the mathematician Leonhard Euler.

2. How does Euler's Method work?

Euler's Method works by using the derivative of a function to calculate the slope of the curve at a given point. This slope is then used to approximate the value of the function at a small distance from the original point. This process is repeated multiple times to obtain a series of points that approximate the solution to the differential equation.

3. What are the limitations of Euler's Method?

One major limitation of Euler's Method is that it can only provide an approximate solution, rather than an exact solution. This is because it uses straight lines to approximate a curve, which may not always be accurate. Additionally, the accuracy of the method depends on the size of the chosen step size, with smaller step sizes resulting in a more accurate approximation.

4. When is Euler's Method commonly used?

Euler's Method is commonly used in situations where an exact solution to a differential equation is not needed, or when it is difficult to find an exact solution. It is also often used in introductory calculus courses to introduce students to numerical methods for solving differential equations.

5. What are some real-world applications of Euler's Method?

Euler's Method has applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to model and analyze systems that involve change over time, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and motion of objects under the influence of forces. It is also commonly used in computer simulations to study complex systems.