Constant liquid pressure device

In summary, The individual is seeking guidance in finding a source about creating constant head devices for measuring the velocity of a stream in relation to its cross-sectional area. They plan to use pedestrian tools at home and are considering using a bucket with one inlet and two outlets. However, they encounter a problem with measuring the stream's diameter and are considering using shadows or a lens for measurement. A suggestion is given to use a bucket and hose to create a stream with constant head, and to use a lens to form an image and measure the diameter.
justrezza
I was wondering if anyone could point me towards a source about making constant head devices. I was wanting to measure and then relate, experimentally, the velocity of a stream to its cross-sectional area. Since this will be done mostly at home using pedestrian tools, I need to find out how I can make a device to allow me to have constant pressure for my stream.

I was thinking of a bucket with one inlet and two outlets, but I'm not quite sure if that would work.

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
An addendum. I intend to measure the cross sectional area of the stream using the shadows it casts on a surface, since measuring the stream diameter would be very hard.

However, here I encounter another problem, the shadows become indistinct as I cast them on the wall, and are useless to my measurements.

You should be able to use a bucket to create a stream with constant head. Just fill the bucket up and put a running hose in it. Then you can have a tube coming out the bottom and as long as there is more water going into the bucket than coming out (ie. the bucket is overflowing or at least staying at the same level) you will have a source of water at constant head.

You can use a lens to form an image of the stream and then measure the diameter on the image. Use the magnification to convert this to the real diameter. If you work at 2f for both image and object distance the magnification is x1.

What is a constant liquid pressure device?

A constant liquid pressure device is a tool used to maintain a consistent pressure of a liquid in a closed system. It typically consists of a reservoir of liquid, a pump, and valves to control the flow of liquid.

How does a constant liquid pressure device work?

The device works by using a pump to create pressure in the liquid reservoir. This pressure is then maintained by the valves, which regulate the flow of liquid into and out of the system. By keeping the pressure constant, the device ensures a consistent level of liquid in the system.

What are the applications of a constant liquid pressure device?

Constant liquid pressure devices are commonly used in scientific and industrial settings, such as in chemical and pharmaceutical research laboratories, to control the pressure of liquids in experiments or production processes. They are also used in hydraulic systems, irrigation systems, and water distribution networks.

What are the benefits of using a constant liquid pressure device?

One of the main benefits of using a constant liquid pressure device is its ability to maintain consistent pressure, which is crucial in many scientific and industrial processes. It also helps to prevent over-pressurization or under-pressurization, which can lead to equipment failure or inaccurate results.

Are there different types of constant liquid pressure devices?

Yes, there are various types of constant liquid pressure devices, including air-driven, electric, and manual devices. Each type has its own advantages and is suitable for different applications. It is essential to choose the right type of device based on the specific needs and requirements of the system.